300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crystal PD Process

I'm in Crystals hiring process...I was doing research on the department and found a ton of stuff on the internet in regards to two officers being suspended over what they felt was retaliation for reporting an incident or something like that. Does anyone have any insight on this department? That's an intimidating place to walk into if the allegations are true...

Can't speak about the department itself, had a friend that worked there for a week and left. So take that as you will.

Comment

I went through the process with them 8 or 9 years ago when Harry Algyer was the chief, but since then it seems they've managed to develop some very public issues.

Word also gets around that they don't have a very good relationship with some surrounding agencies.
      Minneapolis had an incident that went into Crystal, where an MPD officer had to justifiably kick a suspect on the ground. The media of course heard about it and took off with their anti-cop agenda. In the process, the Crystal chief (don't remember if it was Banick or Revering) made a statement to the press that there was no justification for kicking the suspect. Oddly enough, the chief at the time had no clue what actually happened, and was just making a generalize statement that an officer would never ever have to kick a suspect on the ground. The chief obviously was not aware of the concepts of MMA and ground fighting. To have a CLEO say some bullshlt like that against another neighboring agency openly is a good way to burn bridges and plss off other cops such as myself.
      Also a good way to never get backup when you need it. You know, burning your bridges and all..

I personally would tread carefully if I were you. Find out all you can now. Go talk to officers in surrounding cities like New Hope, Golden Valley, Robbinsdale, Brooklyn Center or Brooklyn Park, and see what their experiences have been with Crystal PD. If you have connections with any of those agencies, you may get some insider information and insight into the internal workings and politics. If you don't, you may not.
      There are numerous agencies that have issues, and if you do your homework before-hand, you will likely be able to make a more informed decision. Maybe it's better, maybe it's not. I don't know, but that's why I'm encouraging you to do some more in-depth research.

I know that if I got assigned a ride-along and during that ride-along, the guy told me he was in the process with a neighboring jurisdiction and wanted to know about the area and what to expect from that agency, I'd probably tell him what he needed to know. That's just me though..
      Last edited by Reedo; 08-03-2014, 02:22 AM.
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
      -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

You can do a simple Google search to find out the fates of both Officer's. It came up at work a few weeks ago in 'what ever happened to??' as it made the new cycle for a while when they were put on leave, then both terminated. The Arbitrator sided with the Sgt. and he was re-instated with full back pay, rank, and the termination was removed from his personnel record. He was able to then retire (and I'm sure he was very glad to!). The other Officer was reinstated a while later as well, he lost one case in arbitration regarding some type of discipline and has two other cases going (according to the articles I found). So take it as you will..

FYI for people looking at prospective departments you can look at arbitration decisions on the MN mediation services website. They are public after the arbitrator rules. They often provide an eye opening look at the goings on in agencies across the state...and may have you saying 'Now I know why _____ is always on the POST site looking to fill spots'.

Comment

I'm trying to navigate the mediator website and there is a ton of stuff on there. Holy cow.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3993 users online. 250 members and 3743 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X