300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• second round interviews/command staff

Just curious as to the goals/purpose behind these interviews. I don't want to discredit them, just curious as the two I have attended were tense and at times confrontational.

How was it confrontational? Was this a Chiefs interview with command staff or a second round interview with Sgts or Lts?
    The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "TrueBlueMN" on Officer.com.

Comment

Second round with sgts and lts. Just random questions asked in a tone as if they were irritated or exhausted , i.e. have you ever been in a fight before? What do you do for fun?

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick90 View Post
        Second round with sgts and lts. Just random questions asked in a tone as if they were irritated or exhausted , i.e. have you ever been in a fight before? What do you do for fun?
        I think your reading into the questions too far.
        "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick90 View Post
          Some of these are designed to be a little confrontational. These are your possible future supervisors, and they want to push your buttons to see how you would react to things such as constructive criticism, stress conditions etc.

Like others have said, I wouldn't read too much into it or be too worried about it.

Comment

I am a Sgt at my department and have sat on 1st round and 2nd round interview panels. If the interviews seem “cold” – it’s by design. We try not to display any emotion one way or the other. We want you (the interviewee) to feel a little bit of stress.

Whether you have taken a class about body language and/or communication, you would be surprised at how much an “average” person picks up on through simple things like how you touch your face, how you sit in your seat, whether you make eye contact or not, etc. We don’t want to give any cues one way or the other about how you’re doing.

Just smile, listen to the question in its entirety, answer the questions completely without rambling and cross your fingers.
            "In Valor There Is Hope" - Tacitus

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell

Comment

There is also a different dynamic with that kind of interview, because a 2nd interview is usually more in-depth. Getting a 2nd interview is a big step, and it's a major milestone in the hiring process because very few people get it. For most agencies, this is the interview where they decide who they are going to hire, or how they are going to rank their candidates prior to the background process. They are going to scrutinize everyone more closely in this process.

Command staff are often involved because they want to be the ones that shape the department. They are going to be your supervisors, so they want to hire the people they will supervise. In one respect, this makes sense because they get a better idea of what they are getting into with the candidate. They will also be able to start sorting through the bullshlt and see who is full of crap but just good at interviewing, and who really is a good candidate.

On the opposite hand, this is problematic because command staff can function with significant bias. If you have a command staff that is not in sync with the patrol division (especially with this bullshlt ridiculous new age progressive risk-adverse pussified community pandering climate), they will hire someone that they want and not someone that may necessarily mesh well with the main body of the department. We're seeing this a lot more with how agencies are opting to hire people who better fit the modern progressive community oriented attitude and personality.
              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
              -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5495 users online. 299 members and 5196 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X