300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota State Government Shutdown On The Horizon

Okay, lets hear it. Do people here think Minnesota state government will shutdown during July? If so, for how long? What changes will we see? Will be have state troopers dispatching because the dispatchers are "non-essential"? Will the Department of Corrections staff the Minnesota Correctional Facilities, but send home office staff? Will the MN-DOT Traffic Management Center shut their doors? Will they/can they activate the Minnesota Army National Guard to drive Metro Transit Buses? I do remember some of the changes during a state strike several years ago, but who knows how similar this will be to that.
    Last edited by Jim1648; 07-12-2011, 06:53 PM. Reason: Details

I saw on the news tonight that 800 employees would be layed off. Among the group of people that would be layed off would include state troopers and correctional officers. Would really be too bad. I thought we could avoid the path Wisconsin took.

Comment

One can only hope that Metro Transit busses stop running. But that's only a dream...

Comment

Originally posted by MNsquad View Post
        One can only hope that Metro Transit busses stop running. But that's only a dream...
        X2! I could see a shutdown, but for only a couple of weeks.

Comment

Personally, I think it will end up happening. To me it is simply unacceptable that our lawmakers spent time debating a social issue like gay marriage when there was no budget. Especially when the exact language of the amendment is already codified in state law. Though I personally agree with the amendment, I may just vote "NO' to send the message to our lawmakers that it is unacceptable that they cannot get the "required" work done and instead spent time on the "optional" stuff.

Comment

I hate to break it to ya - but Metro Transit bus drivers are not state employees.

What you will see, is DNR Conservation officers, Troopers, Correctional Officers and BCA agents layed off if the govn't shut down moves forward.
            "In Valor There Is Hope" - Tacitus

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell

Comment

Troopers, BCA, and Corrections are considered essential and would not be affected. From reading what is considered essential, DNR may also fall into that with the protection of lands and waterways.

These are determined to be essential functions of government:

Medical care of inpatients and emergency outpatient care;
              • Activities essential to ensure continued public health and safety, including safe use of
              food, drugs, and hazardous materials;
              • Continuance of transportation safety functions and the protection of transport property;
              • Protection of lands, buildings, waterways, equipment and other property owned by the
              government;
              • Care of prisoners and other persons in the custody of the government;
              • Law enforcement and criminal investigations;
              • Emergency and disaster assistance;
              • Activities that ensure the production of power and the maintenance of the power
              distribution system;
              • Activities essential to the preservation of the essential elements of the financial system of
              the government, including the borrowing and tax collection activities of the government;
              and
              • Activities necessary to maintain protection of research property.

Comment

Politicians playing politics with our financial well being and peace of mind. Nothing new.

Comment

Hope

I think they'll resolve it before the end of the month. Our department is getting notified too like everyone else, but I don't think they want to let the shutdown happen. Think of all the tuition they will have to refund if they do, the colleges and universities make millions for the state, and they'll be losing that, just because they don't want the rich people to pay their fair share of taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue View Post
                    I think they'll resolve it before the end of the month. Our department is getting notified too like everyone else, but I don't think they want to let the shutdown happen. Think of all the tuition they will have to refund if they do, the colleges and universities make millions for the state, and they'll be losing that, just because they don't want the rich people to pay their fair share of taxes.
                    And what would the "fair share of taxes" be for the "rich"?

Comment

And what would the "fair share of taxes" be for the "rich"?
                      An across-the-board flat rate for everyone would be my preference! Say 15% or so. There's no way someone should be taxed more or less heavily than others based on how much they make. Or, abolish the income tax and have a national sales tax of 12-15%.
                      The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Originally posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
                        An across-the-board flat rate for everyone would be my preference! Say 15% or so. There's no way someone should be taxed more or less heavily than others based on how much they make. Or, abolish the income tax and have a national sales tax of 12-15%.
                        Completely agree. I was a Mike Huckabee supporter when he was running for president in 2008. Here's his fair tax plan...I wish we had it.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm4YG-xhLpM
                        The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "scbr0512" on Officer.com.

Comment

Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue View Post
                          just because they don't want the rich people to pay their fair share of taxes.
                          If the left had their way, it would be 90%... (Enough with the talking points).

Who's paying you?

Comment

Originally posted by scbr0512 View Post
                            Completely agree. I was a Mike Huckabee supporter when he was running for president in 2008. Here's his fair tax plan...I wish we had it.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm4YG-xhLpM
                            I agree with the flat tax plan, but isn't Huckabee the one who approved of an early release from prison the person who walked into a diner and murdered 4 cops??? Not a Huckabee fan..........

Comment

Originally posted by IMDOC! View Post
                              I agree with the flat tax plan, but isn't Huckabee the one who approved of an early release from prison the person who walked into a diner and murdered 4 cops??? Not a Huckabee fan..........
                              Yes

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4599 users online. 291 members and 4308 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X