X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Job by Duluth Officer

Good job using all your resources...

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/198718/

Are you kidding me??? Way to set your cops up for a lawsuit the next time this happens and a police officer uses deadly force when confronted with deadly force. Good job on the officers' part fail for the admin for not explaining that this kid was just lucky.
    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Anybody can sue anyone anytime... you can't let the possibility of a lawsuit control a deadly force situation... I think the officer did well to deploy taser. If it hadn't worked, he probably was prepared to follow with some lethal force. Sounds like a good "use of force continuum"

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMNLEO09 View Post
        Anybody can sue anyone anytime... you can't let the possibility of a lawsuit control a deadly force situation... I think the officer did well to deploy taser. If it hadn't worked, he probably was prepared to follow with some lethal force. Sounds like a good "use of force continuum"
        Really? Guy after me with an ax is not a good use of the taser. I would say both the officer and the suspect were lucky in this case. Lethal force is definitely the safest option in that case. What happens if the taser failed? It can happen...somebody who doesn't spark test their taser and hasn't used it in a while...battery could be dead, etc. Don't get me wrong, the outcome of this case is definitely something we would all like to see other than somebody dying, but luck was on both of their sides.
        The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "scbr0512" on Officer.com.

Comment

The officer did what he felt was right and LUCKILY it worked. This isnt a training exercise out on the street, stuff happens at the speed of life. My concern now is when this whack job gets out because the state does a **** poor job of keeping people put away, is he going to take this to the next level and shoot it out?
          It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...

Comment

Originally posted by scbr0512 View Post
            Really? Guy after me with an ax is not a good use of the taser. I would say both the officer and the suspect were lucky in this case. Lethal force is definitely the safest option in that case. What happens if the taser failed? It can happen...somebody who doesn't spark test their taser and hasn't used it in a while...battery could be dead, etc. Don't get me wrong, the outcome of this case is definitely something we would all like to see other than somebody dying, but luck was on both of their sides.
            At the moment, the bad guy wasn't coming after the officer. He was standing there with the axe in down position with one hand, there was space and an intervening obstacle between them. And the officer had deadly force back-up. All that could have changed in a heartbeat, but it worked out right this time. There was less luck involved then you'd think. The paper does a poor job of telling the whole story.
            Originally posted by kontemplerande
            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Why not use the taser? Assuming your partner standing next to you still has his handgun out in case **** hits the fan.

Comment

Our department policy prohibits taser use unless you have lethal cover. Each department is different.

However, I suspect that the officer would not want an OIS incident like what happened last year when that officer had to shoot the 17yo with the baseball bat. Word is that the city is treating that officer like sh*t and he hasn't returned to work yet.
                So yeah, probably a major FAIL for the city and admin.
                But still, kudos to the officer for doing what he needed to do.
                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

I am sick and tired of argueing use of force..think what you want to think I am not going to change your mind, but you will noticed that the Officers who work the streets on here all have come to the same conculsion

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to be drawing down on the guy with my firearm. The only way a Taser is going to be used is if there are 2 or more other officers there. Then, THEY can use a Taser if they choose. I'm sticking with my gun.
                    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Originally posted by squad51 View Post
                      Are you kidding me??? Way to set your cops up for a lawsuit the next time this happens and a police officer uses deadly force when confronted with deadly force. Good job on the officers' part fail for the admin for not explaining that this kid was just lucky.
                      Agree plus 100.

Originally posted by Reedo View Post
                      Our department policy prohibits taser use unless you have lethal cover. Each department is different.

However, I suspect that the officer would not want an OIS incident like what happened last year when that officer had to shoot the 17yo with the baseball bat. Word is that the city is treating that officer like sh*t and he hasn't returned to work yet.
                      So yeah, probably a major FAIL for the city and admin.
                      But still, kudos to the officer for doing what he needed to do.
                      I'm not commenting on the other stuff you are claiming but what I bolded is very much false.
                      Last edited by minn21; 05-12-2011, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by minn21 View Post
                        I'm not commenting on the other stuff you are claiming but what I bolded is very much false.
                        +1. There are tons of rumors floating around about that incident but very few of them are accurate. I won't go into details on an open forum, but there is much more to that story.
                        Originally posted by kontemplerande
                        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Wow... i started this post to complement a fellow LE on a job well done. He stopped the threat! I was NOT there and neither were any of you (who are second guessing the officer's judgement and tactics). Each contact is different and each officer is different... the way you would handle this situation could certainly be different than the way he handled it. My goal was not to judge but just to give kudos! Take it (or leave it) the way you want.

Comment

Wow... i started this post to complement a fellow LE on a job well done. He stopped the threat! I was NOT there and neither were any of you (who are second guessing the officer's judgement and tactics). Each contact is different and each officer is different... the way you would handle this situation could certainly be different than the way he handled it. My goal was not to judge but just to give kudos! Take it (or leave it) the way you want.
                            Um again I am sick and tired of this but here we go..I am NOT SECOND guessing that officer I was not there, he was able to descalate a Deadly force enounter which is not easy to do. I am however saying that the admin is setting up their troops for lawsuits, and other issues. Any time you can advoid the use of deadly force is a win, however in my opinion one of the many reasons we are losing so many cops is that officers are not using deadly force when they should, and waiting until it is too late. This is only being helped along by police admins that failing to realize what they are doing with the message that they are sending. My opinion and my opinion only.

Comment

Originally posted by minn21 View Post

If he's back, that is great. I haven't had an update in a little while. All I was told was that there was a delayed return to duty. Nothing wrong with that if that is what he wants.
                              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                              -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6165 users online. 347 members and 5818 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X