X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take home squad car question for mn deputies

Really simple:

Do you have a take home squad car?
    What county do you work for....or if you know the answer for another county please add that info...
    I am not interested in other states or jurisdictions.
    Last edited by The State; 04-15-2011, 12:46 PM. Reason: .

Steele County does. Major city that is in there is Owatonna, also cover Blooming Prairie, Medford and Ellendale

Comment

Redwood, Lyon, Murray do.

Comment

I know it was mentioned in the other thread on this topic that Dakota has take homes for patrol guys. Can't remember who mentioned it, but someone who works there.

Comment

Wright (On days on), Sherburne, Stearns, Benton, McLeod, Meeker and Todd. I believe Anoka doesn't except for such things as K9 and investigators.
          Last edited by cjs-luke; 04-16-2011, 12:41 AM. Reason: info
          Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

Dodge, Goodhue, Chisago do.
            Ramsey and Washington do not, except for K9 handlers.
            "All government agencies, whether they be police, fire, sanitation, parks, etc., operate on a budget. That budget provides funding for them to employ a specific number of people. The can't just add someone to their staff because he speaks three languages or has a neat haircut."

Comment

Carver County does not have take-home squads
              sigpic
              UNA STAMUS
              Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God"
              Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for the info. Also, Cook, Lake, St Louis, Carlton, Aitkin, Kenabac, Crow Wing and Pipestone DO have take homes. Looking for the rest out there.

Comment

The best way to either get or keep take home cars during nasty busgets, is to contact major agencies that have take home cars and see if they have done a cost vs benefit study. I talked to the chief deputy of Orange County FL about two years ago at a training event. I said I noticed that none of your cars are the same, and he replied because the deputies take their cars home and can modify them with in reason with extras. I asked and he said that they have like 1500 deputies all with take homes. He went on to say that they do a cost study every 5 years or so and it always comes out that the take homes are cheaper in the long run. They keep their squads for like 10 years. 5 years as a front line squad, 3-5 years as a station spare, and then rest of the time as a car for training at the prusuit track.
                  Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

I'm torn on this issue, solely on the reasoning of I don't understand how take home squads would save an agency money vs my "want" for a take home squad to save ME money...squad51, if you have any other info on it, I would love to do some reading. We lost our take home squads 3 years ago. The number of deputies with the option of having a take home squad(you had to live within the county) was few and far between, I think the numbers were 13 in county deputies to 50 out of county(specifically patrol deputies) or something around that area, but either way, it is a moot point for my agency. MSP has take home squads and I can understand why, when you consider the number of officers over the size of their district(MN), and not really having the ability to have a regular maintenance shops, unlike a county or municipal agency.

Now that I have realized what I am missing out on, I'm going to go to bed a lil sad
                    sigpic
                    UNA STAMUS
                    Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God"
                    Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Olmsted County.

Comment

Olmsted, Wabasha, Winona, and Houston County.

Comment

Wilkin, Clay, Hubbard, Ottertail, Douglas, Grant, Becker, Traverse, Sibley, ...

My P.D. Investigator gets take home and myself (K-9). All officers get picked up, so no one drives in (as long as you live within the City).

I personally think it would be easier to ask who doesn't have take home squads. There are only a handful of Counties that don't. There are a lot of Counties that don't have 24/7 coverage, so a deputy or deputies are on call.

Comment

Take-homes save the agency money because officers take care of their own cars; they beat Department cars like rented mules. However, take-home squad programs have high start-up costs if they haven't been the practice.
                            "All government agencies, whether they be police, fire, sanitation, parks, etc., operate on a budget. That budget provides funding for them to employ a specific number of people. The can't just add someone to their staff because he speaks three languages or has a neat haircut."

Comment

Jeeves: You are correct, i should have asked who does not

Wililinotti: The department I am referring to, Pine Cnty, has had take homes for at least the 26 years i have worked in a neighboring county.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4422 users online. 289 members and 4133 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X