300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working After Retirement Public Employees Retirement Association of MN

http://www.mnpera.org/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={B649FD2E-22FD-4F48-B38E-20CD89B43C8E}

I retired at the end of December and I am working for a private sector employer. I didn't think I would want to return to a PERA covered employer, but I know am aware of an opportunity that looks interesting. I have read the above and I will be calling PERA, but I am just wondering, is anybody here working for a PERA covered employer while receiving a PERA annuity? Is the $14,160 based on net or gross earnings? I was thinking that if I did return to a PERA employer I could max out on deferred comp, etc. to delay the time before I hit the $14,160 limit. I guess even if they take 1/2 of earnings after the $14,160 limit is reached isn't so bad since you get it back later.

Honestly, I think state or federal employment might be better in terms of not running into the PERA issue, but I would still like to hear from others that have gone through this.

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
    http://www.mnpera.org/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={B649FD2E-22FD-4F48-B38E-20CD89B43C8E}

I retired at the end of December and I am working for a private sector employer. I didn't think I would want to return to a PERA covered employer, but I know am aware of an opportunity that looks interesting. I have read the above and I will be calling PERA, but I am just wondering, is anybody here working for a PERA covered employer while receiving a PERA annuity? Is the $14,160 based on net or gross earnings? I was thinking that if I did return to a PERA employer I could max out on deferred comp, etc. to delay the time before I hit the $14,160 limit. I guess even if they take 1/2 of earnings after the $14,160 limit is reached isn't so bad since you get it back later.

Honestly, I think state or federal employment might be better in terms of not running into the PERA issue, but I would still like to hear from others that have gone through this.
    One of our retired captains came back and works part-time for us. I'm almost 99% positive that the $14,160 is gross earnings from what he's said. He usually take it easy on his hours throughout the year and then if he has some room, he works quite a bit towards the end of the year to ensure he doesn't go over the amount. One year he went over and he was raped in taxes...be careful on that part.
    The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "scbr0512" on Officer.com.

Comment

I know a retired chief that took another full-time chief job. The city some how paid him under the table, so he didn't get dinged. I don't recall the terminology they used. It was a small town though, so anythings possible there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6419 users online. 367 members and 6052 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X