300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding the MN POST board

As you can tell by the title this thread is to attempt to understand the POST board and their operations...
    Firstly one of my biggest questions is; Why does the POST board not test full time licenses monthly? They will test part timers every Tuesday but full timers every other month on one Tuesday? This every other month thing is confusing as all heck... Especially in the summer when so many students are finishing their PPOE... I have some buddies going through SKILLS in southern Minnesota who will be finishing 1 week after the deadline for the June test (June 3rd) but will be finished June 10th before the June test (June 16 or 17) yet they can not test for June because they missed the deadline and have to wait til August to test... An entire summer before they can test? Now I am not saying that we all have to be happy about this as job competition is already very high and truthfully schools should not be pumping out so many future coppers (Even though many will not pass this test) but what about the few qualified that will be in this group or other groups dealing with the similar issues? I just think that is a little outrageous to have to wait that long after finishing a degree (some 2 year and some 4 year) and SKILLS only to basically hurry up and wait for a testing date.... Is a July test that hard to set up for these candidates?
    2. Locations and Testing Procedures - Another one of the mysteries of the POST is how they do their testing... Besides the above issue, why not A. Broaden your testing locations to other places who are putting eligible people out in the market (IE major MN cities other than the TC like Rochester, Duluth, Alexandria, St Cloud etc) Now I know they have the "greater mn" testing thing but how hard would it be to just utilize electronic testing at these locations (like the DMV) ..Budget wise I dont think this would be tough for the POST board because it seems like they havent updated anything since Buck Savage was still coppin... But seriously save the trees and quit printing paper tests and use electronic testing!
    I must add here that the POST is not a horrible thing by any means considering the fact that they must be doing something right because MN is one of the most professional and most sought after policing profession locations in the US so props to you all on that but please, on the easier things try and make them that (easier)..
    As your parents, teachers and others say, this is just constructive criticism for the good POST board.. Please feel free to dabble with your thoughts, ideas, stories, praises, disappointments etc about your dealings with the POST board as I am sure they are plentiful and appreciated..

MN POST Board

I guess my best response to this is to contact the POST Board directly. To be very honest with you, I have had very little contact with the POST Board since originally getting my part time license over 30 years ago. Sure, I have renewed the full time license every three years, and I while I certainly can't speak for all licensed Minnesota officers, I really doubt that most officers have much contact with the POST Board after getting licensed. I probably know as much about the POST Board as I do the EMSRB (they issue the First Responder certificate....Seriously.)

I really think that much like most Minnesota state licensing agencies, they don't have a huge staff. As far as why they haven't changed scheduling, the time probably was selected back when and simply hasn't changed because there has been any motivation to change.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the POST Board might even have a smaller staff now than when I became licensed 30 years ago! Back then they kept track of in-service continuing education, but some time ago they switched that burden back to the individual officer. They point out that while your agency may keep records, it is ultimately up to the individual officer. I don't know if they audit, but it certainly is a good idea to keep those records just in case.
    Last edited by Jim1648; 04-09-2011, 07:10 PM. Reason: Details

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
      I guess my best response to this is to contact the POST Board directly. To be very honest with you, I have had very little contact with the POST Board since originally getting my part time license over 30 years ago. Sure, I have renewed the full time license every three years, and I while I certainly can't speak for all licensed Minnesota officers, I really doubt that most officers have much contact with the POST Board after getting licensed. I probably know as much about the POST Board as I do the EMSRB (they issue the First Responder certificate....Seriously.)

I really think that much like most Minnesota state licensing agencies, they don't have a huge staff. As far as why they haven't changed scheduling, the time probably was selected back when and simply hasn't changed because there has been any motivation to change.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the POST Board might even have a smaller staff now than when I became licensed 30 years ago! Back then they kept track of in-service continuing education, but some time ago they switched that burden back to the individual officer. They point out that while your agency may keep records, it is ultimately up to the individual officer. I don't know if they audit, but it certainly is a good idea to keep those records just in case.
      I haven't had any contact with them since I became licensed either. They do have a small staff, but they do conduct audits too. One or two people from my office were audited last year. As far as the testing goes...boo hoo...why in such a hurry? It's not like the job market is going to get any better in the extra month you have to wait in between testing. Besides, most agencies require that you are POST eligible by a certain date, so you can still apply anyway. And...they could just make you come to their office and not give you a few options for testing locations....now that would save some money!
      The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "scbr0512" on Officer.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
        I don't know if they audit, but it certainly is a good idea to keep those records just in case.
        They do audit. Our department was audited last year, and our "retiring" Chief got in hot water. POST doesn't mess around.

As far as the every other month testing, there isn't any need to test every month. New individuals that can test don't graduate school every month. It does suck, I missed the first testing date because of a mess up by my college, a transcript issue. It was funny seeing all my classmates that were they two months later, their retest.

They offer all of their other tests every tues (Military, Out State, Part-Time)

I'm sure they have a reason, and probably has to do with all the paperwork they have to verify, college transcripts and skills completion.

I miss the continuing education online. We nice to see what classes you had taken.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3941 users online. 254 members and 3687 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X