300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minneapolis Park Police - Park Patrol Agent

Thought I would get the word out that we are hiring up to 4-8 Park Patrol Agents. Definitely a good job for those who are pursuing a career in law enforcement. PM me or post on this thread with any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=61

Originally posted by Buck Eight
    Must Have the Following Abilities
    • Work in uniform patrolling on foot, bicycle or other vehicle.
    • Jump and crawl over and under objects.
    • Work in uncomfortable weather conditions.
    • Able to control park patrons who may be unruly, belligerent and possibly armed.• Run and chase suspects.
    • Wrestle and subdue suspects.
    • Lift or drag heavy objects.
    • Maintain good physical condition.

So, they expect a unarmed, non sworn employee to control people that are possibly armed? That sounds like policework to me. Do they still dress the Park Patrol Agents up almost exactly like the real police except for the gun?

I am sure it isn't a bad job for someone looking for experience and who could complain about biking around the lakes all summer looking at the "scenery" It just seems like they are setting the guys and gals up to get hurt.
    No they wear gray uniforms with different patches on them, be advised the last two times they have posted this, it has fallen through due to budget reasons if I recall correctly.

As for going hands on with individuals. I think that mainly speaks to those in the parks that are intoxicated. Whom "may" be armed. But at the same time, I believe a lot of those situations they will have sworn Park Officers there. I do not know what the expectation is. I do know that it is very good experience according to the Sworn Officers in that department.

Ask BM Coastie if you have any questions, I am sure answers will follow.
    Last edited by ShinkagePD510; 04-03-2011, 09:05 AM.

Comment

As ShinkagePD510 stated, if we have to go hands with a person its usually because they are intoxicated. In those cases, the sworn Park Police Officers are really good about backing you up. The city Police Officers will also help as well.

I also second that this job is going to give you some really good experience. They give you a lot of responsibility which is one of the reason they ask for some type of law enforcement experience or education in order to qualify for this position.

I certainly hope they go through with hiring more Park Agents. We are short handed and could use the extra agents this summer. A more realistic hiring number would be about four. Although the Sgt. did say it could be up to eight.
      Last edited by BM Coastie; 04-04-2011, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I will say that I have always been impressed about how the park agents handle their duties. It is very rare that we get a call requesting Officers from Park Agents other then transport when they find warrants. I can think of maybe twice in 5 years where I have been requested or dispatched to a park agent call, mostly due to the PArk Officers being tied up. That said if I am close to a park agent and he checks out I am always happy to assist.
        Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

The authority for park agents is found in the Minneapolis City Charter. Here's the link to the section.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/114...R_CH6.5EN.html

Comment

A Park Agent can make a citizens arrest for crimes committed in their presence as long as it's for an arrestable offense. (ie. misdemeanor or above) Should that person refuse to provide an ID there is no crime committed for that because the agent is a non sworn employee. At that point the Park Agent would detain the person until a Police Officer arrived and took over the case.

(Thanks Buck Eight for the info on this one)

Comment

I was a Park Agent for 2 years before leaving to a different agency. I still think it's the best non-sworn, entry-level position around. They allow you to do plenty of policework for a non-sworn job. I recovered two handguns from people during my time there, always interesting when you don't have a gun yourself. That being said, the extra thought needed to keep yourself out of dangerous situations while working in a city like Minneapolis really helped prepare me for the next step.

It's a great learning experience....good luck to those who apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Eight
                I see that, but it doesn't change the fact that I would not provide ID and would just leave. Where does it say that I am lawfully required to ID myself to a Park Patrol Agent?

The ordinances that you tag for are mostly (if not all) petty misdemeanors and are not classified as crimes by the state. Where does it say that it either is a crime or what level of crime it is to refuse ID to a non-sworn park worker?

It isn't as though you could chase me or pull me over if I just drove away as you approached.
                But then and again, imagine how all of this is going to help your situation if/when the Park Police have to show up. I see so many people talk themselves into tickets and arrests, it's almost funny. Instead of using the old Verbal Judo/TacComms, people just start being vocal about their rights (without any regard for the actual application of the law as opposed to what is written in statute).

Keep in mind that there are still limited powers given for Petty Misdemeanor violations and their enforcement. Traffic violations are almost all PMs, but you still have to ID yourself and cooperate. Small amount of weed is a PM, but the police still have PC to search you and your belongings and vehicle. If you want to flex your constitutional rights, you'd better be damn sure you know exactly what you can and can't do. I've seen lots of people who "knew their rights" end up in jail and get convicted by a judge for Obstructing.
                Last edited by Reedo; 04-06-2011, 12:44 AM.
                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Reedo View Post
                  But then and again, imagine how all of this is going to help your situation if/when the Park Police have to show up. I see so many people talk themselves into tickets and arrests, it's almost funny. Instead of using the old Verbal Judo/TacComms, people just start being vocal about their rights (without any regard for the actual application of the law as opposed to what is written in statute).
                  nevermind I am done responding to buck eight
                  Last edited by squad51; 04-05-2011, 07:30 PM.
                  Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

BM Coastie,

The annoucement mentioned training would begin in April and go on until May. What is the next step-backgrounds? I was wondering how long does that generally take, and if the hiring projection is realistic, or should candidates expect to wait to hear something later in the month of May?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue View Post
                      BM Coastie,

The annoucement mentioned training would begin in April and go on until May. What is the next step-backgrounds? I was wondering how long does that generally take, and if the hiring projection is realistic, or should candidates expect to wait to hear something later in the month of May?

Thanks.
                      The next step in the process is interviewing the top candidates which will most likely take place in the next few weeks. Perhaps sooner. This is followed by backgrounds. The Park Agents are being hired for the summer so I expect the process to move fairly quickly and have them in training by mid to end of May.

Comment

Have they contacted anyone to set up interviews? I haven't heard anything yet.

Comment

What is full time for a seasonal park agent....40 hours?

Comment

Not sure if they've contacted anyone about interviews yet.

Full time is 40 hours.

Comment

I received a call today to set up an interview

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5634 users online. 356 members and 5278 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X