300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve but Licensed Part Time?

I know that MOST reserve units are not licensed, I was just wondering which ones are licensed as p/t peace officers? I know Ramsey County licenses five or so, just wondering which other ones are?

Dakota County has "Special Deputies" who hold PT Licenses, if I'm not mistaken.

I think Rochester and Grand Rapids also have some reserves who have PT Licenses as well.

IIRC, there are many leaders in the LE community who want to get rid of PT licenses completely, instead of the current policy of not issuing new ones.

Comment

Mankato PD.
      "All government agencies, whether they be police, fire, sanitation, parks, etc., operate on a budget. That budget provides funding for them to employ a specific number of people. The can't just add someone to their staff because he speaks three languages or has a neat haircut."

Comment

Olmsted county has fully licensed reserve deputies

Comment

Originally posted by phillydog07 View Post
          Dakota County has "Special Deputies" who hold PT Licenses, if I'm not mistaken.
          I think Rochester and Grand Rapids also have some reserves who have PT Licenses as well.

IIRC, there are many leaders in the LE community who want to get rid of PT licenses completely, instead of the current policy of not issuing new ones.
          True. They are licensed and are volunteers. They have many restrictions on them so they are practically reserves, but they do carry firearms and go through all department training. Their duties are identical to a non-sworn reserve.
          The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "scbr0512" on Officer.com.

Comment

Weird. I'll never understand why there is such a "Oh my Gahw, they shouldn't have guns!" attitude toward reserves. We're one of they very few states that don't arm reserves. They can carry them as a private citizen, but not as a reserve? That's kinda @$$ backward.
            Just call me "Sir Robin"

Comment

nvm.......
              Last edited by phillydog07; 03-31-2011, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Reserve But Licensed Part Time?

I still recall some of the discussion years back about some of these issues. I think one of the factors some 30 years ago, give or take, was the cities in greater Minnesota complaining that they were a training ground for police officers. The guys and gals would take jobs in Red Wing and Hutchinson and places like that . The old law required that the hiring authority send them to the BCA Basic Police School, or whatever it was called back then, withing a year of hire. After completing that training, they were then a more valuable commodity, since a new hiring agency did not need to send them to BCA Police School. The police officers with BCA training under their belt then often took more lucrative jobs with suburbs that often paid better. The decision was made to switch to a pre-service training model and put the burden of this pre-service training upon the individual rather than the agency/city/county/state. We went from the old Peace Officer Training Board to the current Peace Officer Standards and Training Board.

I don't think the original intent was to have anything other than a peace officer. Well, law making being what it is, I think the League of Minnesota Cities was quite influential and made the pitch that smaller cities and counties couldn't afford the same salaries commanded by officers that worked in the metro area. They wanted the smaller cities and counties to be able to hire the local high school football player and let him be a police officer or deputy sheriff. I think the Type 1, 2, and 2 peace officer was a compromise at the time. Type 1 was Peace Officer, Type 2 was Part Time Officer, and Type 3 was Constable. I don't think Type 3 even exists any longer. I think they essentially grandfathered in the existing Type 3 some years back and have not licensed any more in that category.

Anyway, trying not to get too far off track, I have often thought that it is interesting that I can't think of ANY other occupational license in Minnesota in which the training requirements are based on the number of hours worked. For example, if we look at other public safety folks that we interact with, there is NO part time Paramedic license category. You can be a Paramedic that works part time, but the training requirement is the same regardless of the numbers of hours you work.

Firefighters in Minnesota have different levels of certification, but there is NO part time firefighter certification status. Actually, the majority of fire departments in Minnesota aren't even full time, paid, professional firefighters, so maybe that is a bad comparison.

Even when you look at other licensed occupations in Minnesota, for example nurses and teachers, I don't think I have ever heard of a licensed Part Time Registered Nurse. Again, you may work more or less than 40 hours per week, but the license status is not based on the number of hours you work. Similarly I don't think I have ever heard of a licensed Part Time Teacher.

At one time we were promised that professionalism was going to take law enforcement into the 21st century. Well, we have arrived at the 21st century and I really haven't seen a whole lot of leadership from the POST Board. To their defense, I think that they have been watered down and are really just a "paper tiger". Maybe I am being too harsh, but what do you guys and gals think about the POST Board?

I sort of thought at one time they would be focusing on the other end of law enforcement. For example, if you wanted to get promoted to sergeant at a city or county of a certain size, you would have to have a certain type of POST certification. Similarly, if you wanted to be an investigator, regardless of agency size, you would have to have completed a different type of POST certification.

Given the current budget crisis, I don't see any sort of changes like this on the horizon. In fact, just the opposite. I suspect that the POST Board is just glad to maintain its existence!

I wonder what the future is for pre-service licensing? Do you guys ever foresee a requirement for the individual to complete pre-service education "on his/her own dime" prior to becoming a Community Service Officer or a Correctional Officer/Deputy at the local jail? I don't see that happening, but then again at one time we could simply look to both the east and west coast to see what was happening there and then we would see the move work its way towards Minnesota!

I really haven't paid close attention to the whole dispatcher training just lately. I think that they can get hired and then be trained while on the job. I know that there are pre-service training programs at technical/community colleges, but I don't think that they are a requirement.

Comment

^To my knowledge, there actually are no longer any dispatcher programs at any local schools. I remember looking into it, and even asking the dispatch supervisor at the U, and he said they used to have one at MCTC or somewhere, but no longer do.

BTW, great post, Jim.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5117 users online. 271 members and 4846 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X