300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Sworn AGencies That Are NOT PERA

I am just wondering what sworn agencies in Minnesota are not members of PERA. So far, I have come up with:

-All federal agencies

-All state agencies (MSP, DNR, BCA, DOC-SIU, etc.)

-What about Metro Transit? (PERA or MSRS?)

-University Police? (PERA or MSRS?)

-Airport Police (I think they are PERA)

-Tribal Police?

I don't think that there are any separate pensions plans left are there? Are all of the places like Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Duluth, etc., switched over to PERA completely by now?

Airport pd is pera
    "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Check out the LELS website (http://www.lels.org). They do a lot of work in MN.

Comment

U of M and Transit police are PERA, as well as Tribal agencies whose officers are POST-licensed (Nett Lake and Red Lake officers are not) are Minneapolis does have a handful, like less than 50 officers, who are still MERF.

State Fair Police might not be PERA. I know Washington County's part-timers are PERA Coordinated, not PERA Police & Fire.
        "All government agencies, whether they be police, fire, sanitation, parks, etc., operate on a budget. That budget provides funding for them to employ a specific number of people. The can't just add someone to their staff because he speaks three languages or has a neat haircut."

Comment

Mile Lacs is PERA

Comment

Minnesota Sworn Agencies That Are NOT PERA

Just a little bit of additional follow up on this. Prior to posting this I had ran across this http://www.metrocouncil.org/jobs/Ben...it_summary.pdf which indicates that Transit Police are MSRS rather than PERA. I also found this https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/...3.64&year=2008 so I called the Met Council for further clarification. If I understand this correctly, most of the Met Council is covered by MSRS, BUT the Transit Polce are covered by PERA. I am sure for many people it doesn't matter, however, if you are already receiving a PERA benefit and return to a PERA covered employer, you are penalized
            [url]http://www.mnpera.org/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={B649FD2E-22FD-4F48-B38E-20CD89B43C8E} [url]
            http://www.mnpera.org/vertical/Sites...4ADA549%7D.PDF

In real world numbers the Metropolitan Transit Police Salary shows $21.82 - $31.08 hourly. However, if you are already receiving a PERA benefit "you may earn up to $14,160 before your benefit is affected." Thus, after the first $14,160 in a year, your hourly would be $10.91 per hour. (The other hald is held in escrow until you retire again.)

I just wanted to point that out in case anybody here is considering Transit Police. They are PERA covered, not MSRS, despite what is shown on the website. They did say that they are going to take a look at the website information.
            Last edited by Jim1648; 05-06-2011, 09:20 AM. Reason: Details

Comment

Not that it's any of my business...but why did you retire from one police agency and now you are looking to work for another? Why didn't you just stay where you were at? Is there a financial reason that you would want to leave and work for different agency?

Comment

Yes, there is a financial reason. I am taking home a little more now with PERA than I was working full time, BUT we don't have paid health insurance after retirement. So, if I could work for another government employer that isn't PERA, I can get another public pension and get health insurance. I originally read that Transit is MSRS and that wouldn't conflict with PERA, but when I confirmed that they are PERA, it kills the deal for me. I read up some more on federal vs. state jobs (not sworn jobs) and it sounds like MSRS (State Pension) is better than FERS.

On a somewhat related note, are there any retired Minnesota coppers that can tell me if it is worthwhile to get vested in Social Security? If I understand correctly, you need 40 quarters or the equivalent of 10 years of working to be vested. Of course under PERA P & F we don't have Social Security withholding, but between some off-duty work and pre and post police career employment, I have around 34 quarters now. I did make the visit to the Social Security office just to ask about minimum benefits, etc. They reminded me about the public pension offset (or whatever the term is). When I tried to find out if there is any sort of minimum benefit she really couldn't tell me. I have talked to one retiree who said he gets something like $200 a month from Social Security now that he is eligible for that. When I hear that it really makes me think that another public pension is the way to go rather than private sector employment.
                Last edited by Jim1648; 05-06-2011, 03:58 PM. Reason: Details

Comment

Okay....The last job I would want would be in a sworn position after retirement. I would have just stayed working.

I think the term you are looking for is "windfall" as it pertains to SS, public pension and money you can receive from SS after retirement.
                  Here is the windfall calculator from SS: http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/anyPiaWepjs04.htm

Comment

Wow, that is quite the Online Calculator. Thank you for the tip. I think part of my motivation, too, or should I say inspiration if from a guy I worked with several years back. At first I thought he was going to be a "double dipper", but I think he actually ended up being a "triple dipper". He had PERA, Military pension, and something else. I think that was even before I started drawing Social Security! The way the public sentiment seems to be so negative on public pensions, we ought to be glad to have what we have now and will likely have to fight to keep it. I probably don't know as much as I should about retirement benefits, but I am learning.

Comment

Glad to help. I have 8 years to go. Ive contributed to a 457 for over 20 years now. Health insurance after retirement scares me since i have some young kids at home. I also hope my pera account will be there.

Comment

Transit is PERA.

||||||||||||||||||||
                        ||||||||||||||||||||
                        ||||||||||||||||||||

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5688 users online. 362 members and 5326 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X