Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been lurking here for several months...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been lurking here for several months...

I've been retired for over 10 years form a city North of MPLS/St. Paul. I stay busy, but everyone from the dept, has forgotten I exist. I bet most of you retired folks can relate.

The "cop" never leaves me, but I have to concentrate most often to "not get involved" anymore. That's the hardest part. I quit carrying when I retired, but often wonder if I should strap on Rosco when I travel to the cities... who knows?

I have a MN carry permit, but nothing more... my city won't give me my ID card for the Federal permit. Ahhh, no need for it anyhow.

congrats on making it to retirement! and welcome!
    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

It is interesting that police officers and department stress the "brotherhood / sisterhood" between the officers. I have been with two PD's and the brotherhood aspect is far from the truth. It is amazing how one can be forgotten about in the event of retirement, injury or even the officer being placed on leave.

I enjoy being a police officer but find that the partnerships and comraderie between the officers only exists when out on the street. I would take a bullet for my partner and I would hope they would do the same. However, I wound not invite the majority of my partners to my childs b-day party or even want to get together with them outside of work. Maybe it is the PD where I work at? Who knows?

I used to carry when off duty but not anymore. I try to be a good witness. I would not trust my police admin if I were to get involved in something off duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired 26 View Post
        I've been retired for over 10 years form a city North of MPLS/St. Paul. I stay busy, but everyone from the dept, has forgotten I exist. I bet most of you retired folks can relate.

The "cop" never leaves me, but I have to concentrate most often to "not get involved" anymore. That's the hardest part. I quit carrying when I retired, but often wonder if I should strap on Rosco when I travel to the cities... who knows?

I have a MN carry permit, but nothing more... my city won't give me my ID card for the Federal permit. Ahhh, no need for it anyhow.
        Congrats on retirement. Enjoy it, I'm sure you earned it. Too bad people have forgotten. I don't think this is the case at all departments. We have a good relationship with those that retire from our department. They all have full access cards to the office and stop by often to say hi. Even though the "cop" never leaves you...go someplace warm and enjoy yourself!!
        The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "scbr0512" on Officer.com.

Comment

Welcome to the zoo....but if you have been lurking for ten years...then you know.

What made you come out of the closet?
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired 26 View Post

The "cop" never leaves me, but I have to concentrate most often to "not get involved" anymore. That's the hardest part. I quit carrying when I retired, but often wonder if I should strap on Rosco when I travel to the cities... who knows? Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Some retired guys that I know don't want anything to do with the job. They put in there time and that was enough. A friend of mine who is close to retirement told me, once he is retired, the department can kiss my *****!! He won't ever come back, not even for a retirement dinner. But, like Buck Eight said, there are a few retired guys who still come to headquarters to workout.

By the way, WELCOME!

Comment

@X2... I haven't been lurking here for 10 years... only for a few months. I retired in 2001. I moved to Northern MN, where I see bald eagles just about every day... lots of deer in my back yard, a wolf or two every now and then, and a bear once. I have lots of hobbies, and stay busy. I can't figure out when I had time to go to work back then... But, after ten years, I'm no longer waiting for "that" phone call from someone I used to work with. I actually had more contact with a few deputies, in the county I worked for... but they're gone now. I've actually started a new career, and getting pretty good at it. Life is good, and I'm healthy! I'll visit more often! One other post... I'm selling my vests in the "for sale" forum.

Little background: I spent 26 years on the street as a "patrolman" they hated me saying that... they wanted "Patrol Officer"), DARE, Evidence Room, and Radar Instructor. And, I have <<< that "tat" on my arm.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Retired 26; 03-14-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I retired in 1996 and except for one occasion, the opening of a new Sheriff station that I worked for 15 years, I have had no contact with anyone that I worked with.. Everyone I worked with in patrol is retired or deceased...

I think of the advice my mother gave me years ago who also worked for Los Angeles County...She said all you are to the county is a six digit employee number, when you walk out the back door into retirement a new person walks in the front door to replace you, and you are forgotten...
                Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                  I retired in 1996 and except for one occasion, the opening of a new Sheriff station that I worked for 15 years, I have had no contact with anyone that I worked with.. Everyone I worked with in patrol is retired or deceased...

I think of the advice my mother gave me years ago who also worked for Los Angeles County...She said all you are to the county is a six digit employee number, when you walk out the back door into retirement a new person walks in the front door to replace you, and you are forgotten...
                  Yup, to some you are just a warm body. The department was there before you and will be there after you.

Comment

Originally posted by ON-DUTY View Post
                    I used to carry when off duty but not anymore. I try to be a good witness. I would not trust my police admin if I were to get involved in something off duty.
                    What happens when the bad guys decide not to leave any good witnesses?

Comment

Originally posted by 40cal View Post
                      What happens when the bad guys decide not to leave any good witnesses?
                      Arrrgg I hate it when that happens....
                      Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Originally Posted by Retired96

That's depressing my friends. I'm truly sorry to hear that!
                        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5406 users online. 310 members and 5096 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X