Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info Needed Please

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Info Needed Please

    I am looking for some info from some sworn LEO's in Minnesota. I am a sworn Officer in NJ and with the economy here the way it is my department is next on the chopping block for lay offs with me possibly being one of the many getting the ax. So I'm considering my options of going out of state. If anyone has any info on departments that are taking laterals from out of state I would greatly appreciate it. Also if you can tell me what you like and don't like about working in MN would be appreciated as well. Any info on retirement, pay, and benefits would be great also. Feel free to PM me if needed.

  • #2
    I can't answer your questions about the pay and being sworn in Minnesota but I can add a few things about the reciprocity for MN. I am a cop from Chicago and am currently in the hiring process in Minnesota. You have to pass the POST reciprocity exam which tests your understanding on MN law. After you pass that exam you are given a letter stating you are eligible to be licensed. Once you have that letter, I believe you can apply anywhere. If you have any questions on the reciprocity exam, send me a pm. As far as being a sworn LEO in Minnesota, I will let the other guys fill you in on that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks a lot for the info it seems like I need to read up on MN laws before attempting to get on the job in MN. Its a little weird because I figured the laws would be taught in the academy like it was here in NJ.

      Comment


      • #4
        Check your in box.

        Comment


        • #5
          The only departments that will send you through an additional academy is MPLS PD, St Paul PD and the State Patrol, otherwise when you pass the reciprocity test you are good to go and able to get on the streets with the training you received in NJ. Check the MN POST board website for current job openings. Most all departments will consider laterals. If you look at the city of St Paul's website, they have a lateral job application posted however to my knowledge I dont think they're planning an academy in the near future. As far as working in MN, pay is good for the cost of living, good retirement but winters here are very cold!! Times are tough here in MN too as far as job openings but from my understanding NJ is way worse. If you have any more questions feel free to PM.

          Here is the link to the POST board http://www.dps.state.mn.us/newpost/poolline.asp
          Last edited by FreezinMN; 03-12-2011, 10:29 AM.
          The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

          Comment


          • #6
            Just an FYI- it is very very very hard to get hired by a Twin Cities metro agency. Current LEOs often get preference, but understand that it is EXTREMELY difficult to get hired in the metro area, as well as the other major cities and counties like Duluth, Rochester, St. Cloud, etc. For those of us that work in the metro, myself included, we can definitely tell you that it is going to be a battle to get hired. St. Paul has only hired laterals the last couple times. Minneapolis won't be hiring again for a long time. They had to lay off officers, so they'll likely hire them back once they get the funding and openings. In the suburbs, it comes down to which suburb is hiring. High paying larger suburbs like Minnetonka, Plymouth, Woodbury, Eden Prairie, Brooklyn Park etc. will get upwards of 400 applicants for one position. Smaller agencies or agencies that pay less will still get 200-300 applicants per posting.
            Smaller jurisdictions and counties in the out-state area will vary, depending on where they are. If you want to transfer, you are in for a wait.
            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
            -John Adams


            Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

            Comment


            • #7
              Our academy is scheduled for April 25th. Not sure of the breakdown, but there are Parking Enforcement Officers and laterals from within and out of state. Don't know when our next academy will be.

              Comment


              • #8
                Sounds like MN is gonna be a challenge. Looks like I'll have to look elsewhere if these layoffs happen. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of time to wait and battle with 200 applicants for one position. Thank you everyone for the info I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by glock33 View Post
                  Sounds like MN is gonna be a challenge. Looks like I'll have to look elsewhere if these layoffs happen. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of time to wait and battle with 200 applicants for one position. Thank you everyone for the info I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond.
                  Have you considered Washington State? I have some info on some departments if you want to PM. WA is lateral friendly. There are some good departments that are hiring.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ar-15 if you have any info on Washington State please PM me.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FreezinMN View Post
                      The only departments that will send you through an additional academy is MPLS PD, St Paul PD and the State Patrol, otherwise when you pass the reciprocity test you are good to go and able to get on the streets with the training you received in NJ. Check the MN POST board website for current job openings. Most all departments will consider laterals. If you look at the city of St Paul's website, they have a lateral job application posted however to my knowledge I dont think they're planning an academy in the near future. As far as working in MN, pay is good for the cost of living, good retirement but winters here are very cold!! Times are tough here in MN too as far as job openings but from my understanding NJ is way worse. If you have any more questions feel free to PM.

                      Here is the link to the POST board http://www.dps.state.mn.us/newpost/poolline.asp
                      Duluth also has their own academy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by WoodburyMNLEO09 View Post
                        Duluth also has their own academy
                        So do DNR and St. Louis County
                        The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by glock33 View Post
                          Ar-15 if you have any info on Washington State please PM me.
                          PM sent

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Your governor might be the next president............

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by imdoc! View Post
                              your governor might be the next president............
                              +1

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3968 users online. 182 members and 3786 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X