300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megabus drives fast!!!

Anyone here familiar with the "Megabus"? It offers fairly cheap bus rates on this double-decker to Madison and Chicago. Of course, I've heard the clientele are what you'd expect for a <$25 bus ticket. Apparently some of them are Chicagoans coming up to their "Minnesota address" to collect Minnesota welfare checks, yay government.

Anyway, that bus hauls! I've been passed many, many times by it, in three different vehicles, so it's not my speedometer showing me as going faster than I really am. I commute east on I-94 and today I saw it in my mirror so I locked my speed at 70 mph. I just wanted to see how fast he'd overtake me. Not more than a couple of minutes from when I spotted it, he went by me. I'd guess he was going around 73-75 mph or so, but I'm no expert.

Do buses like that have different rules allowing them to go a bit faster? I realize that may sound like a dumb question, but buses can drive on the shoulder and other things that your average motorist doesn't do, so I thought maybe they'd get a little extra speed as well?

Originally posted by Buck Eight
    I am no cop, but I can say for sure that they don't have any legal right to drive faster. I routinely see large trucks, some even hauling dangerous stuff, going 15-20 or more above the posted speeds.

On one hand, these truckers are professional drivers who get paid by the mile in most cases. So driving faster and putting more miles on the odometer and getting your load to it's destination faster is going to make you more money.

But, a semi truck with a 53 foot trailer going 75mph is WAY more dangerous IMO than a regular old sedan doing the same speed.

If I was a cop, I would struggle with this one. They are doing a hard job and are away from their families all the time, but there needs to be a line drawn some where.

Those mega-buses basically amount to mobile section 8 housing.
    Whats the struggle? I bet you wouldn't struggle with it after your first Semi vs passenger car multiple fatal accident....
    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Not much of a struggle there for me either. They are professionals and know what it means to get caught for speeding. I also like "following to closely".

Comment

According to my sister who goes to school at UW Madison, it's mainly UW students who live in the cities. At least the Madison one is, can't speak for the Chi town one.
        Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

I personally have no problem with them hauling butt when they're *leaving* town. Good riddance!
          The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Originally posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
            I personally have no problem with them hauling butt when they're *leaving* town. Good riddance!
            +1 Hahaha well said, seeya!

||||||||||||||||||||
            ||||||||||||||||||||
            ||||||||||||||||||||

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Originally posted by squad51 View Post
              Whats the struggle? I bet you wouldn't struggle with it after your first Semi vs passenger car multiple fatal accident....
              +1

And to add if I may,, The Semi/Bus driver walks a way with no injury, and the occupants of the passenger vehicles are the ones DRT.

IMHO the speed limit should be lower, say 55-60 mph MAX for any vehicle whose gvwr is >26k
              Last edited by 624john; 03-12-2011, 10:12 AM.
              The only easy day was yesterday

Comment

The last time i read MSS 169.14 (speeding), there were no exemptions for buses or semi's. If the speed limit is 65 mph, they cannot exceed 65... period. I will give a bus, a car, a semi, a motorcycle all the same considerations when deciding whether or not to issue a citation. I can guarantee though, if a semi driver ever tried to pull "Well i'm a professional driver, i should be able to go 10 over the speed limit" - not only would I tag him for speed, but any other moving violation i can find.
                "In Valor There Is Hope" - Tacitus

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell

Comment

Not to mention that there are many states that actually have LOWER speed limits on freeways for commercial vehicles.

Comment

I am sure you are right on that one. My struggle comes from the fact that these are largely hardworking folks doing a crappy job that depend on their DL's to put food on the table for their families. Generally not the type of people I like to see LE hammering away at.

But, they are responsible for their actions and would have nobody to blame but themselves if they got a ticket. Judging by how fast I see these truckers going, I am guessing that they are given a pretty wide berth by the various state patrols otherwise none of these guys would still have a valid CDL.

WOW you are as troll.....do you think cops like writing tags? For the most part we don't. Sure I have pet peives that will lead me to jump curbs, ditch dive and drive fast just to write a tag but that is pretty rare. I hate going to accidents. I know if I write tags that I will prevent accidents. even on the score do I look at who I have stopped and see if they are a taxpayer or joe dirt bag? Absolutley, however you do something dangerous or stupid like oh lets see the last semi I tagged was 25 over and crossing lanes of traffic with no signal, then you are going to get a tag......

If cops give semis a wide berth its because the state has commercial vehicle enforcement and they hammer those guys..but I will too if they are being dumb...
                    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

I took the megabus in Dec from Chi-Minneapolis for the first time after visiting a friend and then returning to visit family for xmas. I heard mixed results on this thing and it was an interesting ride to say the least. I got the great opportunity to listen to an aspiring rapper rap the whole trip. Thankfully my ipod got me through half the trip. If the people on the bus werent so sketchy, I would have said something but I wasn't looking to get shanked on this thing. I remember the bus driver was driving extremely fast for the conditions. They cancelled the bus the day before due to snow and 94 still wasn't in great shape. There were cars in the ditch but it didn't phase the driver at all.

Comment

If I was a cop, I would struggle with this one. They are doing a hard job and are away from their families all the time, but there needs to be a line drawn some where.

Those mega-buses basically amount to mobile section 8 housing.
                        We love those CMVs. We stop them as much as possible, and then we get our CVIs to start going to town. Very rarely do they ever drive away without several hundred, and sometimes THOUSAND, dollar fines. CVI is a big revenue generator. It helps make up for the roads they destroy with overweight loads, the signs they knock down all the time, and the money we have to spend when they get into crashes because we almost never go to CMV-related crashes without the fire department and an ambulance. If the drivers are responsible, that's good. However, they are all looking to make money and do whatever they can to make as much as possible. They were avoiding major interstates to avoid the troopers and other CVIs, and then taking the backroads into and through our jurisdiction and began causing the aforementioned problems. So, we fought back by training CVIs and now we welcome them to drive through.
                        Aside from that, it's a safety issue. This is evidenced by the way the US DOT will revoke a CDL if the operator gets three speeding tickets in which they are cited for 15+ MPH over the speed limit. If ANY person with a CDL, regardless of whether or not they are driving a CMV or not, gets a ticket for driving 15+ over, it's a HUGE deal for them. I have pulled semi drivers over for 15+, knocked their ticket speed down to 14mph over, and every single one has seriously thanked me. Never been to court on one of those. It's that serious of an issue. I can't remember what the statistic is exactly, but it's something like 50-75% of all crashes involving CMVs result in some kind of injury.

And yes, it's Section 8 and State welfare fraud on wheels. Just a joke of a system.
                        Last edited by Reedo; 03-12-2011, 04:27 PM.
                        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                        -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Reedo View Post
                          I have pulled semi drivers over for 15+, knocked their ticket speed down to 14mph over, and every single one has seriously thanked me.
                          That's pretty nice of you, I bet they do appreciate it.

I kinda thought bigger vehicles risked bigger fines if they break the law, which is what surprises me every time this big bus blows by me. It's especially startling on the St. Croix bridge, since the wind will push it out of its lane sometimes. That's what made me think that perhaps he had modified rules, why risk being pulled over and maybe losing your job? Thanks for the responses.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4234 users online. 275 members and 3959 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X