Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Plan B

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Your Plan B

    For those of you that have either gotten a job in a different field other than LE or are looking for one, what have you found out there with a decent wage? For as much as I'd like to work in law enforcement I'm thinking it's time to start looking other places as well. My level of optimism only goes so high. Or do you know anyone that wanted to be in LE but works in another line of work? Thanks.

  • #2
    I hear a lot of stories on this topic.

    You always hear how so many people are POST certified and Skills is a production plant just throwing out 2-yr cop degrees. I was even at the dentist and my dentist said; "Wow you want to go into L.E.? My nephew wanted to do that but never got a job, now he work's in ------" and then you hear about those that stay in a security position and retire from there.
    Depressing.

    I felt the same way, to the point where I left a good job to go back to school. It's how it is. At this point I am just going to give it all and see how it goes. There's no way to get hired if you don't apply.

    Getting off topic, I know that some of the individuals I know who wanted to be cops went into other lines of work such as being a Paramedic or Firefighter, those are just as competitive however. There is also the military, I do not have any experience with that but I know some on here do!

    At Metro there is also a Computer Forensics program if technology is your thing.
    Sorry for the limited info.

    OH! And don't forget: TEXAS!
    Last edited by ShinkagePD510; 03-10-2011, 11:00 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ShinkagePD510 View Post

      OH! And don't forget: TEXAS!
      And Espanol! (And CYOA when it comes to pulling over illegals, because we know the DOJ won't!)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MN_Justice View Post
        For those of you that have either gotten a job in a different field other than LE or are looking for one, what have you found out there with a decent wage? For as much as I'd like to work in law enforcement I'm thinking it's time to start looking other places as well. My level of optimism only goes so high. Or do you know anyone that wanted to be in LE but works in another line of work? Thanks.
        Have you considered going out of state? There are still some areas of the US that are hiring.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
          Have you considered going out of state? There are still some areas of the US that are hiring.
          I have. Waiting for the wife to finish her four year degree. Then I get free reign to apply wherever (If its not a trick HA!)
          I tested in Seattle. Have not heard anything. It was a hard Test. Wisconsin is off my list at least now. I was thinking:

          Colorado
          Washington
          Ohio
          Arizona (Maybe)

          I would like to get a job on the east or west coast, on a Sea-boarding state that is. Testing is just so expensive in regards to airfare...

          Comment


          • #6
            Ohio is not the place to come and look for a police job.

            Comment


            • #7
              Seattle hasn't acccpeted applications since last year and I haven't heard of much hiring going on with them . I would assume they will be hiring soon, however the with all negative publicity that has surrounded the PD, the mayor made a statement that he wants to hire people that know Seattle and are from the area (take it for what it’s worth). I will tell you that LE positions are hard to come by, with some larger departments threatening layoffs. You will however have a foot up on many candidates by having completed an out of state academy and would likely only need to take the equivalency portion on hired. I moved to this state last fall looking for a jobs in LE. I have a four year degree in CJ and a little experience in the LE field and haven't landed a job yet. I will be moving to a state where hiring is much more progressive this summer. Like mentioned above Texas seems to always be hiring and would probably be your best shot, you can always lateral after you get a few years under your belt. I would also look at federal LE jobs such as Border Patrol or Customs. If you dont mind living on the SW border, and possibly in a very remote city, it sounds like a good gig. They aren't accepting applications for either right now but keep on eye on usajobs.gov. Good luck.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by northbound View Post
                Seattle hasn't acccpeted applications since last year and I haven't heard of much hiring going on with them . I would assume they will be hiring soon, however the with all negative publicity that has surrounded the PD, the mayor made a statement that he wants to hire people that know Seattle and are from the area (take it for what it’s worth). I will tell you that LE positions are hard to come by, with some larger departments threatening layoffs. You will however have a foot up on many candidates by having completed an out of state academy and would likely only need to take the equivalency portion on hired. I moved to this state last fall looking for a jobs in LE. I have a four year degree in CJ and a little experience in the LE field and haven't landed a job yet. I will be moving to a state where hiring is much more progressive this summer. Like mentioned above Texas seems to always be hiring and would probably be your best shot, you can always lateral after you get a few years under your belt. I would also look at federal LE jobs such as Border Patrol or Customs. If you dont mind living on the SW border, and possibly in a very remote city, it sounds like a good gig. They aren't accepting applications for either right now but keep on eye on usajobs.gov. Good luck.
                Thanks.
                I tested in Seattle, Spring of 2010. Right before they closed off the hiring. It was a good vacation at least.

                Texas and down south is going to be one of my backup plans, if I don't get a job in outer Minnesota, before my POST expires. The metro seems like a long shot. I wouldn't mind going up north to where I use to live in the Crookston-Grand Forks Area.

                I will also be crossing Ohio off the list, thanks Joe.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ShinkagePD510 View Post
                  I hear a lot of stories on this topic.

                  You always hear how so many people are POST certified and Skills is a production plant just throwing out 2-yr cop degrees. I was even at the dentist and my dentist said; "Wow you want to go into L.E.? My nephew wanted to do that but never got a job, now he work's in ------" and then you hear about those that stay in a security position and retire from there.
                  Depressing.

                  I felt the same way, to the point where I left a good job to go back to school. It's how it is. At this point I am just going to give it all and see how it goes. There's no way to get hired if you don't apply.

                  Getting off topic, I know that some of the individuals I know who wanted to be cops went into other lines of work such as being a Paramedic or Firefighter, those are just as competitive however. There is also the military, I do not have any experience with that but I know some on here do!

                  At Metro there is also a Computer Forensics program if technology is your thing.
                  Sorry for the limited info.

                  OH! And don't forget: TEXAS!
                  +1 i applied at 1 department n Tx and was hired within 3 months, now i actually work for an amazing department instead of somewhere in Mn where i would be banging my head against a wall. Wages are better down here and cost of living is A LOT less. We usually have 2-3 academy classes a year of about 40 cadets.
                  In Valor there is hope

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've seen in a few threads on here that Roswell, NM is looking for MN POST candidates that can be hired as a lateral.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ShinkagePD510 View Post
                      I have. Waiting for the wife to finish her four year degree. Then I get free reign to apply wherever (If its not a trick HA!)
                      I tested in Seattle. Have not heard anything. It was a hard Test. Wisconsin is off my list at least now. I was thinking:

                      Colorado
                      Washington
                      Ohio
                      Arizona (Maybe)

                      I would like to get a job on the east or west coast, on a Sea-boarding state that is. Testing is just so expensive in regards to airfare...
                      Did you look at Kent, WA? They annexed Panther Lake (North East area) last year, added about 20,000 or so to the population. They are taking applications. The former Chief went to King County to be the Chief Deputy. Before Kent, he was the Chief in Lakeville. Great guy!

                      It took me 2 trips for the hiring process. They might still take you as a lateral with 2 year degree. Never hurts to look into it.

                      Also look at https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/ for jobs in WA.

                      PM if you have any questions about the department or hiring process.
                      Last edited by AR-15; 03-10-2011, 03:07 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I landscape since I love working outside! You get a great workout in while getting paid. I make the same take home than I did at my prior LE job once you figured in Union dues, etc. I get much more OT and normal hours, no weekends, no nights, etc. Does it help my LE field out, NO! But, it's what I know, what I know well, and what I can make seriously good money at. Plus, you get laid off in the winter to snowmobile!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
                          Did you look at Kent, WA? They annexed Panther Lake (North East area) last year, added about 20,000 or so to the population. They are taking applications. The former Chief went to King County to be the Chief Deputy. Before Kent, he was the Chief in Lakeville. Great guy!

                          It took me 2 trips for the hiring process. They might still take you as a lateral with 2 year degree. Never hurts to look into it.

                          Also look at https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/ for jobs in WA.

                          PM if you have any questions about the department or hiring process.
                          Thanks for the info. Just gotta wait for the wife to finish her degree. Should be about a year and a half.
                          You sent me a PM about this last year.

                          Do you know if Kent does its testing through PublicSafetyTesting?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If you are looking to work for Border Patrol then I would say don't even waste your time unless you have absolutely nothing but time to kill. I took the written test on October last year with 93% and nothing happened until last month. I just started on the very first step of the process. There are many people have been waiting for 2 years because of the process.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                              +1 i applied at 1 department n Tx and was hired within 3 months, now i actually work for an amazing department instead of somewhere in Mn where i would be banging my head against a wall. Wages are better down here and cost of living is A LOT less. We usually have 2-3 academy classes a year of about 40 cadets.
                              Did your department hold out-of-state testing? I would have no problem applying out-of-state if departments held testing here in MN. I am a poor college student and cannot afford to travel extensively to test for places. I've looked at places like Phoenix, Denver and other metro areas and none offer out-of-state testing. Don't know if that is due to the current economic situaton or not but yeah. Like I would have loved to apply for the recent lateral process for Montana Highway Patrol (they accept MN Post as lateral), but that included 3 trips to Montana. With gas the way it is that would be a lot of cash money I don't have to spend.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3001 users online. 154 members and 2847 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X