300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCA and DVS Abuse Enforcement

I just got a heads-up from my union rep regarding the BCA going after more people for "abusing" DVS. They put out a list of the 50 biggest DVS "abusers"/individuals. Apparently, a metro officer in good standing was recently forced to resign due to an investigation into his DVS usage.
    Whatever the BCA's reasons for going after cops, don't put yourself into a position where you can give them a reason to come after you. CYA and don't be using DVS unless you got a reason. They're really clamping down on this stuff. I think it's absolutely ridiculous, but it is what it is and we all gotta play the game and play by the rules.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
    -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

yeah we got that same email.....
    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

The problem is, some clowns were running, athletes, news anchors, the Commissioner of Public Safety, ex-girlfriends/spouses, ex's new squeeze, etc... I can think of a few cops who have been terminated due in part to their DVS use. I don't even remember my password, and I don't plan on retrieving it either.

Comment

It's all political B.S- The police administrators do it and get no punishment because its up to each agency to investigate their own. Yet these same administrators waste no time using DVS violations as a means to get rid of those officers that the admin feels threatened by. It's hypocritical hogwash. If these actions are so egregious, why doesn't the BCA investigate this themselves? Why, because they don't wanna be put in the position to have to investigate a high ranking police administrator with political clout. So tired of all the political games.

Comment

There are some people who really do abuse it, but we had an officer who got his dick slapped because the BCA came and did an audit and he couldn't remember why he ran so-and-so's name 7 months earlier. This portion is the BCA actually doing it, not the administrators. I know officers that have been fired by their administration for abuse of DVS, but that's because they were bad cops and the administration finally got a break and found a way to can them.
          I use DVS at least a dozen times a day. Crashes, getting peoples' info from calls to enter into county records, traffic stops, etc. I don't abuse it, but if I get asked why I ran someone's DVS info 4 months ago, I'm likely not going to be able to answer why unless I wrote them a ticket or arrested them. I think this is a witch hunt.
          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
          -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Reedo View Post
            There are some people who really do abuse it, but we had an officer who got his dick slapped because the BCA came and did an audit and he couldn't remember why he ran so-and-so's name 7 months earlier. This portion is the BCA actually doing it, not the administrators. I know officers that have been fired by their administration for abuse of DVS, but that's because they were bad cops and the administration finally got a break and found a way to can them.
            I use DVS at least a dozen times a day. Crashes, getting peoples' info from calls to enter into county records, traffic stops, etc. I don't abuse it, but if I get asked why I ran someone's DVS info 4 months ago, I'm likely not going to be able to answer why unless I wrote them a ticket or arrested them. I think this is a witch hunt.

You and CrimeCrusher are exactly right...the whole DVS abuse issue is being used by unethical, hypocritical administrators to initiate IA'S against cops that for whatever reasons, the dept brass want to get rid of and can't find any other way to do it.

I am a steward and LELS is telling us that DVS abuse discipline cases are the biggest thing administrators are using these days to screw over cops. Previously, the BCA didn't seem to pay much attention to DVS use by cops unless it was being used to run celebrities or athletes. Now, the BCA is sending a list of the top DVS users to police brass and basically giving them the authority to do the BCA's dirty work and investigate their own. The end result is going to be that a vital police resource will no longer be used, like lasers by MPD cops, because everybody will be too afraid to use it. The BCA is telling cops in training classes that it is the BCA'S viewpoint that you need to have reasonable suspicion to run a plate or dl on DVS. This is ridiculous since numerous police agencies utilize automated license plate readers mounted to the roofs of police vehicles that run hundreds of license plates per minute. These machines don't require reasonable suspicion to run them. The standard for DVS use should be that as long as it is being used in an official, on-duty capacity and the queries aren't egregious like running local celebs or athletes that would never be traveling through your community at the time you ran them, the query shouldn't be questioned. Like it was pointed out, if you utilize a police resource for its intended purpose, its nearly impossible to remember the reason for a query if you do hundreds a shift and you're now being questioned about one you ran numerous months ago. When you say you don't remember why you ran it, it gives the appearance to the brass that youre being deceptive...and brass that haven't worked the street since before mdts or mdcs were used just don't understand it.

There's no doubt these DVS abuse investigations are being used to end the careers of cops that the brass don't like.
            The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "TrueBlueMN" on Officer.com.

Comment

is anyone shocked by this? Why are we cops allowing poor leadership?
              Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

If they are so concerned, then DVS should implement a field into the search form which prompts the officer for either a case number or reason for making the query. Without this, don't ask me to remember someone I ran four days ago, much less four months ago.
                The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "WCSO" on Officer.com.

Comment

BCA And DVS Abuse Enforcement

Holy smokes! When I read stuff like this it makes me particularly glad that I took advantage of the buyout and the early retirement. Clearly, I would have been at the top of the list for DVS users at my old agency. (I actually miss MJNO. Does anybody here remember that one?) I never ran celebrities or athletes. Why would I? I don't need DVS to know that Juli Jay was popped for DWI or that Randy Moss is in idiot!

Anyway, here is a real good example of me using DVS. I would get a kickout OFP to serve. Of course the petitioner doesn't have the plate number of what he drives. So I use DVS to get the full name, DOB, and plate number. Is that permitted by BCA? I am actually not sure. You could make the argument that an OFP is not criminal in nature, but rather administrative. Could I have been disciplined? I am not sure and at this point, since I am retired, I doubt that they are going to take my PERA pension away from me! Was it better for officer safety to have that information? I think so.

Comment

DVS wants RS to run a plate? There is case law that says otherwise.

TrueBlue- what is up with the lasers in Minneapolis? I haven't heard about that one.

I take it DVS has flagged plates of "famous" people in the state?

Comment

You can run a lot of things without using DVS. You just cannot get pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhelrey View Post
                        You can run a lot of things without using DVS. You just cannot get pics.
                        What exactly do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
                          DVS wants RS to run a plate? There is case law that says otherwise.

TrueBlue- what is up with the lasers in Minneapolis? I haven't heard about that one.

I take it DVS has flagged plates of "famous" people in the state?

Sorry, that was a typo...I meant Tasers.

Concerning the comment that you can use DVS to run queries as long as you don't pull up photos, that is actually incorrect. DVS considers each click on a link to be a separate query. So, for example, if you run a plate and the vehicle has two listed registered owners, DVS audit records that as two queries. If you then click to get photo info, that's three queries. You can see how they add up. The BCA announced at a recent training class that a certain KMSP news anchor has been queried 30,000 times. That's probably part of the reason that the BCA is going after cops so much about this now.

I conducted a traffic stop years ago on a flashy Ferrari and it turns out it was being driven by Dante Culpepper, the former Viking QB. The BCA immediately notified my agency and I was asked about it. The BCA has no idea if these queries are being done for legitimately law enforcement purposes and they don't care. They just immediately contact your home agency and imply you are doing something inappropriate. I have been audited for running my own license plate by my agency and was told I was doing it for personal reasons. I had recently changed the title on my vehicle and ran my plate to see if the change went through. The vehicle had previously belonged to a family member and when I ran the plate, DVS considered that I had queried a family member rather than myself as the new registered owner so then I was audited for running a family member for personal reasons and accused of DVS abuse. That's how ridiculous this had gotten.

Now, I don't even use DVS because I'm tired of being accused of missing when I am using this police resource for its intended purpose. If I could, I wouldn't even use it to do online crash reports.
                          The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "TrueBlueMN" on Officer.com.

Comment

You can run it on here...

http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/default.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Jhelrey View Post

It looks like this site gives you limited court and traffic conviction info, not dl status, address info or vehicle info.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3184 users online. 158 members and 3026 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X