X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 10-15
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2010

Steele County

Anyone else apply for Steele County? If so, have you heard anything? Anyone know how many applications they recieved? I'm sure a lot. Any info would be appreciated.
  • LawMan1451
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2008

I applied but have not heard anything.

Comment

• WoodburyMNLEO09
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by LawMan1451
      I applied but have not heard anything.
      +1

Comment

• chelge55049
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by WoodburyMNLEO09
        +1
        I spoke with the Sheriff and he said they are still in the process of going through the 221 applications.

Comment

• Berc
          Forum Member
          • Sep 2008

County assigns deputy to court security
          By: Wendy Reuer

Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Email Print
          By WENDY REUER

[email protected]

OWATONNA — Instead of a new job, it will just be a new assignment for a Steele County Sheriff’s deputy.

Sheriff Don Gudmundson was given the OK by the Steele County Board of Commissioners to assign a licensed officer to the Steele County Courthouse.

“Currently, what we do is use special deputies to provide courthouse security,” Gudmundson said. “I think they do a very nice job.”

But Gudmundson said in today’s world, anything can happen — especially in a court room where tempers can flare and emotions can become raw. Because of this, he said there is a need for an armed, licensed officer.

“The courthouse is a beautiful old building, but it wasn’t designed with security in mind all those years ago,” Gudmundson said.

Gudmundson said although no specific incident caused the interest in heightened security, he did not want to wait for one to happen before securing the property.

For a time, the courthouse even ran with no security. It was about four years ago when then-sheriff Gary Ringhofer agreed to schedule special deputies for courthouse duty.

“Our office unanimously agrees that is a good step to have. It’s not a nod against the special deputies, because they have been a good presence there,” said Steele County Attorney Dan McIntosh. “There have been enough instances, whether at our courthouse or other courthouses around the state, to justify this move. We were very appreciative that the sheriff was willing to dedicate an officer to the courthouse.”

Instead of hiring or adding a deputy, Gudmundson will use a new hire and assign the hours. He said he will also retain special deputies at the courthouse to ensure coverage of both courtrooms.

Gudmundson and McIntosh said the courtrooms are not necessarily dangerous due only to alleged criminals or in-custody attendees. Citizens who appear in court for family or civil matters can become a risk as well.

“The people who come over there in custody are usually very well behaved. They don’t pose a problem, but family court cases are traditionally the most heated and have kind of evolved into the most violent cases there are,” McIntosh said. “So it’s very unpredictable in that way and that’s why having a licensed, armed officer there on scene is a big safety benefit.”

Other steps have also been taken to provide added security at the courthouse.

“We’ve already taken some steps and we have a few more in mind,” Gudmundson said. “You never want to be a headline in someone else’s paper. The world has changing and continues to. You want people to know Owatonna and Steele County for all the good things it has to offer, not because they heard about it because of an incident.”

Wendy Reuer can be reached at 444-1565.

Comment

• scbr0512
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Berc
            County assigns deputy to court security
            By: Wendy Reuer

Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Email Print
            By WENDY REUER

[email protected]

Just another thing that Gudmundson has taken from Dakota County and brought to Steele. He's making a lot of changes down there from what I've heard. You can expect there to be more before he leaves at the beginning of the year.

OWATONNA — Instead of a new job, it will just be a new assignment for a Steele County Sheriff’s deputy.

Sheriff Don Gudmundson was given the OK by the Steele County Board of Commissioners to assign a licensed officer to the Steele County Courthouse.

“Currently, what we do is use special deputies to provide courthouse security,” Gudmundson said. “I think they do a very nice job.”

But Gudmundson said in today’s world, anything can happen — especially in a court room where tempers can flare and emotions can become raw. Because of this, he said there is a need for an armed, licensed officer.

“The courthouse is a beautiful old building, but it wasn’t designed with security in mind all those years ago,” Gudmundson said.

Gudmundson said although no specific incident caused the interest in heightened security, he did not want to wait for one to happen before securing the property.

For a time, the courthouse even ran with no security. It was about four years ago when then-sheriff Gary Ringhofer agreed to schedule special deputies for courthouse duty.

“Our office unanimously agrees that is a good step to have. It’s not a nod against the special deputies, because they have been a good presence there,” said Steele County Attorney Dan McIntosh. “There have been enough instances, whether at our courthouse or other courthouses around the state, to justify this move. We were very appreciative that the sheriff was willing to dedicate an officer to the courthouse.”

Instead of hiring or adding a deputy, Gudmundson will use a new hire and assign the hours. He said he will also retain special deputies at the courthouse to ensure coverage of both courtrooms.

Gudmundson and McIntosh said the courtrooms are not necessarily dangerous due only to alleged criminals or in-custody attendees. Citizens who appear in court for family or civil matters can become a risk as well.

“The people who come over there in custody are usually very well behaved. They don’t pose a problem, but family court cases are traditionally the most heated and have kind of evolved into the most violent cases there are,” McIntosh said. “So it’s very unpredictable in that way and that’s why having a licensed, armed officer there on scene is a big safety benefit.”

Other steps have also been taken to provide added security at the courthouse.

“We’ve already taken some steps and we have a few more in mind,” Gudmundson said. “You never want to be a headline in someone else’s paper. The world has changing and continues to. You want people to know Owatonna and Steele County for all the good things it has to offer, not because they heard about it because of an incident.”

Wendy Reuer can be reached at 444-1565.
            Just another thing Gudmundson has taken from Dakota County and brought to Steele. I've heard he's been making a lot of changes and I would expect there will be more before he leaves at the beginning of the year.
            The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "scbr0512" on Officer.com.

Comment

• 10-15
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2010

So the new hire will be placed in the courts? Thanks for all the good info guys...

Comment

• WoodburyMNLEO09
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2009

anyone hear back from Steele?... I have not.

Comment

• sigcopper
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2008

When and why did he go to Steele County? I knew him when he was sheriff in Fillmore. He is a great speaker too.

Comment

• LawMan1451
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2008

Haven't heard a word.

Comment

• WoodburyMNLEO09
                      Forum Member
                      • Oct 2009

Got a letter today... interview coming up. Good luck to all! (although I hope I do a little bit better :-) )

Comment

• WoodburyMNLEO09
                        Forum Member
                        • Oct 2009

Had my "10 Minute Intro/Interview" yesterday. They said they got over 200 applications and narrowed that down to 94 to interview. 5 no shows and 3 cancellations, so I guess the list was down to 86. Only hiring one and possibly two. Next step some time in October.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19440 users online. 54 members and 19386 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...