300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 year until graduation... Apply?

Alright so I was curious about something. I will be getting my Associates Degree in about a year (maybe less, depending upon if loans get approved and then I could take on a heavier course load). I can't quite get my bachelor's because I've been working 2 jobs during the day and a few nights a week on a 3rd job just to pay for my online schooling. I'm drained from working 2 (sometimes 3) jobs. Grades have been stable and around a 3.8 GPA.

So do I have to be POST certified before I can apply? Since I have to have a 2 year degree before I can start any POST training anyway. Or should I drop a job and see if there are any internships around my area. (Wright County and Stearns County are the closest).

Thanks in advance for any advice/help given. Take care!

Most departments will require that you be either POST licensed or eligible by the date of hire, not necessarily POST eligible just to apply (you will have to look close at each departments posting). However, the date of hire is often pretty close to the time that the application process closes, so one year before you are POST eligible seems to be a little early to apply IMO.

Regarding the dropping of the job, if you are able to do so in your financial situation, it might allow you to compete for an internship. However, I would highly recommend looking into a reserve unit. This will give you an experience similar to being an intern. Also, the time commitment is likely less than would be required in an internship. Being a reserve is a great first step to a sworn position.

Good luck either way!
    Last edited by BD0883; 10-12-2009, 01:28 PM.
    "It's a long way from the Supreme Court to the streets." -F.Y.
    "Saw drunk, arrested same." -Buck

Comment

^^ Right on!
      RIP Sgt. Joe Bergeron, We will surely miss you.

- EOW 5/1/2010 -

Comment

Most departments require you to be POST eligible at the time of the application. I haven't seen POST eligible at the time of hire. The hiring process is long and costly. I wouldn't want to waste money on somebody that wasn't able to finish up POST requirements at the time of hire.

Comment

Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
          Most departments require you to be POST eligible at the time of the application. I haven't seen POST eligible at the time of hire. The hiring process is long and costly. I wouldn't want to waste money on somebody that wasn't able to finish up POST requirements at the time of hire.
          That is true. Chaska and Eagan are two examples that come to mind of departments that allow you to apply before being POST eligible, so long as you are by the start date.

However, I suspect that not being POST eligible at the time of application would be an obstile for the applicant going against those that are eligble.
          Last edited by BD0883; 10-17-2009, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BD0883 View Post
            That is true. Chaska (which is currently hiring)...
            Sorry to derail the subject, but is Chaska still hiring for sure? Their thing on the POST site says Sept. 30th deadline - did they re-open?

Comment

Originally posted by MN85 View Post
              Sorry to derail the subject, but is Chaska still hiring for sure? Their thing on the POST site says Sept. 30th deadline - did they re-open?
              My apologies, that did close on Sept. 30. My bad! :-(

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2971 users online. 140 members and 2831 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X