300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexandria pre-admission

For those of you that have gone to Alexandria, I'm just wondering how their pre-admission physical agility testing is structured? I'm scheduled to take the test in a couple weeks now for January enrollment.

They sent me a list of the requirements so I am aware as far as that goes, but was just curious if I could get some input as far as the actual structure from those that have been there already.

I'm new to the forums and love all the information! I took a semester in Hibbing (where I grew up) and have recently transferred to Alex due to the fact that I live in St. Cloud. Hibbing did not have a pre-admission physical agility test so I am getting nervous!

Thanks guys!

Loved Alex.... I took the test in 03 so forgive me if I do not give you all of the answers...

It is very structured. You are in the gym with a bunch of males and females, the instructors have your card, IE prior/current students. When you run, climb the wall, do the course, etc... someone is always watching/timing you. It's not hard by any means. Maybe they changed this, but you are allowed to fail one area. I, at the time tore my tendon in my ankle (Forgot how to spell it, but starts with an A). I was able to complete everything and did not technically have to run since I completed all other areas. I ran anyways and made the time. Enjoy watching people throw up, etc! Do not drink much water in between runs, etc.

As for me training prior, neg!

Oh, and WEAR SWEATPANTS OR you will be donating DNA to the gym floor! Also, a sweatshirt. I got lucky so when I had to run and slide, a slide like a mo fo!

Comment

Originally posted by Jhelrey View Post
      Loved Alex.... I took the test in 03 so forgive me if I do not give you all of the answers...

It is very structured. You are in the gym with a bunch of males and females, the instructors have your card, IE prior/current students. When you run, climb the wall, do the course, etc... someone is always watching/timing you. It's not hard by any means. Maybe they changed this, but you are allowed to fail one area. I, at the time tore my tendon in my ankle (Forgot how to spell it, but starts with an A). I was able to complete everything and did not technically have to run since I completed all other areas. I ran anyways and made the time. Enjoy watching people throw up, etc! Do not drink much water in between runs, etc.

As for me training prior, neg!

Oh, and WEAR SWEATPANTS OR you will be donating DNA to the gym floor! Also, a sweatshirt. I got lucky so when I had to run and slide, a slide like a mo fo!

I appreciate the info. I have a couple follow up questions if you don't mind.

First off, what was the course like? My paperwork only mentions jumping a wall as part of the course.

Also, how much time is there between events?

I'm just curious because I've been training pretty hard as I rehab a shoulder surgery I had months back. Currently, the only thing I am unable to do is the 5 pullup minimum - but if they still let you fail one area, that would be sweet.

Comment

Part of the test included running around cones, crawling under objects, and sprints. Back then they also had you lift a 100 lbs. weight above your head. Probably not good for a shoulder after surgery. BUT, I took my test 17 years ago, so things may have changed.

GOOD LUCK!

On a side note, they are having a grand opening for their Law Enforcement training center this Friday at 2:00 P.M.

Comment

When I did it (last year), they started the testing by having everyone split into three groups and did the pull ups, sit ups, and push ups all at the same time, and you'd just rotate stations as you finished them.

When everyone's finished with that, you go out to the gym area and did the agility course. If I remember correctly, you started out and slid under a few poles (wear sweatpants as Jhelrey said), run around some cones, pull a 100 lb (?) dummy about 15 feet (try to grapple your arms under the dummy's arms, I tried to just grab and pull and it wasn't that easy), then jump over a few hurdles, duck under a few hurdles, then sprint to the 6' wall and scale it (I recommend trying to hook a foot on the top, I just ran and jumped & just hit the wall, then had to pull myself over - sucks going first ). They must have taken out the lifting 100 lbs as AR-15 mentioned, we didn't do that last year.

After that, it's a 500 yard run, doing laps in the gym. That's the one I failed, didn't pace myself and didn't have enough energy at the end. You are allowed to fail one event and still get accepted.

The testing is pretty structured, they time everything and have students help time (and watch), oh, and your parents get to watch too if they come (that was fun ). It's not that hard, just be sure you're able to do at least 4 events & you should be fine. I can't remember the exact amounts/times for everything but it wasn't too tough.

Good luck on the test, and if you do get accepted, congrats, and start running! If you're starting in the spring semester, not sure how that works, and you'll probably start PT next year, but it's hell if you're out of shape (like me, doing it now). 6 mile run, yippee!!

Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
          On a side note, they are having a grand opening for their Law Enforcement training center this Friday at 2:00 P.M.
          Even though I still don't think they're done, at least the gyms a whole lot nicer than the previous one they had.

Comment

No longer available.
            Last edited by Matthew5:9; 01-28-2011, 01:01 AM.
            -M5:9

Comment

I didn't have to take the "entrance agility test" as I wasn't going there for the 2-year program, but when I went through skills there it was pretty much like what people are describing (did skills last summer, so fairly recently).
              We had to do a bunch of running (both long distance and sprinting), sit-ups, push-ups, bench, dips, pull-ups... pretty much anything you can think they would test, they will.
              Also had to do two different obstacle courses (though I would guess it's only 1 for the entrance test) - one indoor, 1 outdoor. The indoor had you go over and under obstacles (as was said, wear sweatpants and a long-sleeved shirt... makes sliding under things MUCH easier), weaving in and out of cones (as fast as you can... the test score is based on your final time), drag a 150# dummy from point A to point B, and it ends with you going over a 6-ft wall (not hard, though there were a few people who struggled with it).
              The outdoor course is essentially the same thing as indoor, except with the addition of a few walls you have to duck and "quick-peek" from behind (you'll learn quick-peek during your time at ATC), had a set of monkey bars, had to go through a window (not head-first), up and down a tower - making sure to touch each step on the way - and again, over a 6ft. wall.

For the most part, I wouldn't worry about the test as long as you're relatively in shape already. You said you can do all but the pull-ups, so I don't see where you would have a problem (dips might not be good for that shoulder either, but maybe they don't test that for entrance).

I'll try to dig up my paperwork with our grading scale that showed exactly what we had to do - will post back here if I can find it.

Edit: forgot to add, they also had a sitting stretch thing - the "sit and reach" from back in 8th grade... yeah, had to do that as well.

Comment

Our PT testing for Skills through Alex at St Cloud state was as follows: Situps, pullups, dips, 1.5 mile run, 500 yard run, bench press, lat pulldown, sit and reach, and obstacle course. Our obstacle course started by crawling or sliding under a 30 inch table, jumping over a 20 inch bench, zig zag through some cones, drag a 165lb dummy 10 yards, jump over a 30 inch hurdle, dive under a 20 in bench, serpintine about 8 cones, then jump the 6 foot wall. I think we had to do it under 60 seconds. I did it in 40 seconds and I am not in great shape by any means.
                "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

our best score on the obstacle course was 30 seconds.
                  "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Thanks for all the great info guys! Sounds like it should be a blast. I'm really looking forward to it.

Comment

My tendon was torn before I even got to Alex, not as I was there, but either way, I passed and graduated...

The wall is just wood and is smooth and I believe six feet tall... no biggie...

They used to have you lift 100#s over your head until someone ruined it for everyone else! I think they give you that option, and some other one, which I do not know.

Comment

The wall is just wood and is smooth and I believe six feet tall... no biggie...
                        Most people believe that, but I have seen a lot of people fail to get over it. After awhile they get frustrated and give up. It can take a lot out of a person.

Comment

The trick is to run, grab the wall with your hands, pull yourself up, as you jump, throw a foot over, and you are golden!

Comment

The trick is to run, grab the wall with your hands, pull yourself up, as you jump, throw a foot over, and you are golden!
                            I've had plenty of experience jumping over walls/fences running from the cops as a disorderly teen! haha jk

I never have jumped over anything really that I can recall. Kinda hoping to find a tall fence or wall before hand just so I can get a feel for it. Doesn't seem too difficult in thought.

Comment

I took the entrance physical agility test when I was going to go to Alex for their 2 year program. I decided to go the four year route and never went there until there summer skills program, but this is what I remember of it...
                              -They have you take the MMPI-2 when you first arrive...if you haven't taken it. It takes a couple hours.
                              -Then they had you interview with a faculty member of the L.E. program which was pretty basic. Just asking you who you are, why you want to go to Alex Tech, what your goals are.
                              -The physical fitness tests starts in the weight room. You do sit-ups on an inclined bench which I think is at a 40 or 45 degree angle. I remember having to hold some free weights too. I think maybe 20-25 lbs??
                              -Then you have push-ups and pull-ups. The 100 lbs. weight was only required for those who wanted to use that as a substitute for doing the pull-ups I believe. A lot of the bigger guys chose to do the 100 pound weight lift because it was hard from them to do the pull ups with their body weight. They are picky with this. You have to fully extend the weight over your head with your elbows locked. They will have spotters for you.
                              -The obstacle course is next. (Sweatpants and sweatshirt are a must like people said) You start out by diving under a bench. Then you weave around a set of cones. Pick up a 165 pound dummy and drag it 25 yds. to a cone. Then you jump over a bench, over 2-3 hurdles, weave more cones, and then up and over the 6 ft. wall (just hook your leg and pull yourself over).
                              -After the obstacle course, they waste no time and do the 500 yard run. It's 10 times in the gym (down and back counts as one). Your done after the 500 yard run.
                              -I did the summer skills PT test out and it was very similar to the entrance one I just mentioned.
                              Good luck and have fun! It's the best program in the state in my opinion.
                              The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "scbr0512" on Officer.com.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6326 users online. 314 members and 6012 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X