300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not even an interview???

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same thing I am. I have received the "thanks, but no thanks" letter for three of the five applications I have out right now.

I have my B.A. from the U of M, have my license activated as a PT officer, and have other creds to boot. I think one of the letters has to do with anticipation of Obama $$ funding which wont be disbursed until September, or so I heard.

Needless to say, I am confused and am thinking grad school will be the better route...
    If one does not fail at times, one has not challenged himself- Ferdinand Porsche

This is a bad time to get hired as a LEO. A lot of departments are looking for people with full time experience. Not to burst your bubble, but the rejection letters you received will not be your last.

Have you thought about going out of state and returning?

Good luck and don't give up.

Comment

Let me be more clear. I completely understand it is a difficult time to be hired as a LEO right now. My department was on the verge of getting axed by the city right after I was hired part time to cut cost.

I have worked quite hard to get to where I am now and have overcome a few obsticales to get there. I, of all people, am very appreciative of the position I have considering how difficult it is to get hired in MN even without a budget problem.

I guess I am more or less surprised that I was sent the letters without even an initial interview. I am not trying to say that I feel I have a sense of entitlement but have been told by many people that if I do A, B, C, and D I will get X, Y, and Z.

In short, I dont want to wait 2-5 years for this budget thing to get ironed out or keep plugging away at trying to get a job. Its time to move on and improve my education to find something outside of LE or get hired fulltime with a department. Its been a 4 year process to get to where I am at now and its time to move on one way or the other.
      If one does not fail at times, one has not challenged himself- Ferdinand Porsche

Comment

I also have a BA from the U of M, and was a CSO and Reserve Deputy. After 26 applications to 24 different agencies, I got a job. That's 25 "thanks but no thanks" letters, and plenty of those came without any interview.

You've got an active full-time license...the hardest part is over! Keep your head up; you'll make it.
        "All government agencies, whether they be police, fire, sanitation, parks, etc., operate on a budget. That budget provides funding for them to employ a specific number of people. The can't just add someone to their staff because he speaks three languages or has a neat haircut."

Comment

Just stick with it. It took me a long time to get hired. Some agencies gave me the "Thanks but no thanks" but with others I got farther and farther. Like Wilkinotti said, it took me around 25 applications as well.

Departments are still going to hire people even with the budget problem. It just makes things a little harder, but not impossible. The key is to not give up.
          Last edited by Heaiser; 05-25-2009, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rudo0059 View Post
            Let me be more clear. I completely understand it is a difficult time to be hired as a LEO right now. My department was on the verge of getting axed by the city right after I was hired part time to cut cost.

I have worked quite hard to get to where I am now and have overcome a few obsticales to get there. I, of all people, am very appreciative of the position I have considering how difficult it is to get hired in MN even without a budget problem.

I guess I am more or less surprised that I was sent the letters without even an initial interview. I am not trying to say that I feel I have a sense of entitlement but have been told by many people that if I do A, B, C, and D I will get X, Y, and Z.

In short, I dont want to wait 2-5 years for this budget thing to get ironed out or keep plugging away at trying to get a job. Its time to move on and improve my education to find something outside of LE or get hired fulltime with a department. Its been a 4 year process to get to where I am at now and its time to move on one way or the other.
            Rudo:

I completely understand how you feel and will tell you not to limit your options. My career transition into law enforcement started in 2004. Since then I have spent 3 years working in Iraq, earned an Associates and then a Bachelor's degree, put myself through skills and have filled out over 40 applications for CSO and police officer, deputy, trooper positions. Out of the 40+ applications I only interviewed 16 times and have received 13 thanks but no thanks letters. Sometimes I wouldn't even get a letter. There is a bright side, I am now being backgrounded by 2 local agencies and the Fargo P.D. So, patience does have its rewards.

I would tell you that if you are limiting yourself to metro agencies then this will be your future for the next year or two. If you keep your options open and look at agencies in other states, and even with the Federal Government, you will get snatched up rather quickly for a job. I'm lucky enough to have a really cool wife who will go where I need to go to get a cop job.

Keep your spirits up and remember if you throw enough crap against the wall something is eventually gonna stick.

Comment

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same thing I am. I have received the "thanks, but no thanks" letter for three of the five applications I have out right now.

I have my B.A. from the U of M, have my license activated as a PT officer, and have other creds to boot. I think one of the letters has to do with anticipation of Obama $$ funding which wont be disbursed until September, or so I heard.

Needless to say, I am confused and am thinking grad school will be the better route...
              Just a thought, look back over your applications... did you omit any box or information? Any misspellings? Did you include a cover letter and a resume? Did you fill out any supplemental forms or documents?... as the other posters pointed out, you may not have done anything wrong... it is just tough to get an LE job in Minnesota.

Comment

I'm just curious, did you apply where they actually had vacancies and were accepting applications or did you just shotgun applications at random?

Also, what did you rejection letters say - other more qualified applicants, lacked minimum qualifications, not accepting applications at this time, missed filing deadlines, hiring freeze, testing postponed/canceled?
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Sorry man, I'll stop putting in a bad word for you!

Jk, just keep throwing the applications out...Like Wilkin said, you have your license activated, that's a huge step.

and lets try to keep the squad on pavement!

Comment

I feel for ya Rudo. I am in a somewhat similar situation. I was with a dept for almost 2 yrs (1 yr CSO, 1 yr LEO) and was released one day before the end of my probationary period last year. It sucked and still does. However, I sucked it up and am keeping my head high. I know I am (and was) good in this field (personally knew it and from what other LEOS have said) and will be in it again soon. I have applied at probably 15-20 different places and have had some results. I made it to the final interviews (me and two others candidates) with two different departments. Unfortunately, I was not chosen but it will happen. My FT license, inactive of course, fortunately got renewed until 2012! Thats kind of a relief!

DONT GIVE UP!! I know people who have had worse situations than you and I and have gotten hired here. Good luck to ya!!!
                    THEY HATE US UNTIL THEY NEED US!

Comment

I have a few words of wisdom in response to this:
                      rudo0059-
                      "I dont want to wait 2-5 years for this budget thing to get ironed out or keep plugging away at trying to get a job. Its time to move on and improve my education to find something outside of LE or get hired fulltime with a department. Its been a 4 year process to get to where I am at now and its time to move on one way or the other."

You may make your plans, but God orders your steps.

I had a long story to go with that, but the long and the short of it is.. Press on, Run the race, let patience have it's perfect work so that you will be perfect and complete, wanting nothing....In the end, You will end up where you are supposed to be.

Comment

Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know. I know some departments know who they are going to hire before they post for a position. It will take time, just keep on plugging away.

Comment

ever thought about going out of state, texas is hiring like crazy everywhere. good cost of living here to, 150k here, will get you something sick, 150k in minnesota, will get you north minneapolis shack, lots of work here. I left minneapolis 3 years ago due to the 300 people apply for 10 positions if that. Dallas/Ft Worth is a great area

Comment

Originally posted by madfiji2001 View Post
                            ever thought about going out of state, texas is hiring like crazy everywhere. good cost of living here to, 150k here, will get you something sick, 150k in minnesota, will get you north minneapolis shack, lots of work here. I left minneapolis 3 years ago due to the 300 people apply for 10 positions if that. Dallas/Ft Worth is a great area
                            As I said in the out of state thread DC is hiring like mad too and based on your qualifications you are pretty much a shoo in here. From application to hire it is usually 3 months.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5822 users online. 358 members and 5464 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X