300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota State Patrol Commercial Vehicle Inspectors

I assisted a Minnesota State Patrol Commercial Vehicle Inspector this afternoon who was out on a traffic stop. I am sort of surprised that they make traffic stops while they are unarmed. Is this the only group in Minnesota that makes traffic stops while unarmed? I know that some agencies in Minnesota do have unarmed Community Service Officers and Police Reserve Officers, but I don't recall that any of them are permitted to make traffic stops.

The traffic stop, is actually an inspection. They are allowed to detain commercial vehicles for an inspection. They are also civilian employees, so they have no peace officer status.

Comment

Hey, you to have the same post count
      Don't blame me, I voted McCain
      ------------------------------------------
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH0BEoA9hsE

------------------------------------------
      See if you can find the differences in these two pictures, I did.

http://members.home.nl/saen/Special/Zoeken.swf

Comment

Originally posted by Boogaard24 View Post
        Hey, you to have the same post count
        Good Eye Boog, that made me laugh!!

Comment

Although you may have seen them unarmed that is after that stop was made and contact was made with the driver. Some CVI take there duty belt off due to the fact that they crawl around and look under the vehicle. From how I understand it they are State Troopers who choose to go into the Vehicle Inspector Division.

Comment

Originally posted by VeniVidiVici View Post
            Although you may have seen them unarmed that is after that stop was made and contact was made with the driver. Some CVI take there duty belt off due to the fact that they crawl around and look under the vehicle. From how I understand it they are State Troopers who choose to go into the Vehicle Inspector Division.
            We have civilian inspectors and troopers who are inspectors. We have more civilian inspectors than troops who work trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by 40cal View Post
              We have civilian inspectors and troopers who are inspectors. We have more civilian inspectors than troops who work trucks.
              What are the qualifications for a civi inspector?
              Just call me "Sir Robin"

Comment

Originally posted by 40cal View Post
                Would those be some of the peeps at the weigh stations?

Comment

Originally posted by MNCopper View Post
                  Would those be some of the peeps at the weigh stations?
                  We still have weigh stations? Every one that I've ever seen has been abandoned, but maybe I'm just looking on the wrong roads.

Comment

the weigh station coming from wisconsin into minnesota on I94 is almost always open
                    "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Is the one on Hwy 10 between Anoka and Elk River still open?

Comment

Originally posted by MNCopper View Post
                        Is the one on Hwy 10 between Anoka and Elk River still open?
                        No, that's the main one I was thinking of but there are others too that look down. Or maybe they are open but they look like a ghost town.

Edit: Now that I think of it I have a question, are all vehicles that have that weight class license plate able to get inspected? I've seen pickups that have the same license plate (except for the weight class sticker) as commercial vehicles. If this is the case, what's the weight class cut-off from being able to use a regular license and needing a CDL endorsement (I think that's what it's called)?
                        Last edited by LCM99; 09-08-2008, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LCM99 View Post
                          If this is the case, what's the weight class cut-off from being able to use a regular license and needing a CDL endorsement (I think that's what it's called)?
                          For "recreational use," there is no weight restriction.
                          For commercial use, from MSS169.01 Sub75
                          Subd. 75. Commercial motor vehicle. (a) "Commercial motor vehicle" means a motor
                          vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used to transport passengers or property if the motor
                          vehicle:
                          (1) has a gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds;
                          (2) has a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight of more than 10,000 pounds and the
                          combination of vehicles has a combined gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds;
                          (3) is a bus;
                          (4) is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials that are required to
                          be placarded under Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, parts 100-185; or
                          (5) is outwardly equipped and identified as a school bus, except for type A-I and type III
                          school buses as defined in subdivision 6.
                          (b) For purposes of chapter 169A:
                          (1) a commercial motor vehicle does not include a farm truck, an authorized emergency
                          vehicle, or a recreational vehicle being operated by a person within the scope of section 171.02,
                          subdivision 2 , paragraph (b); and
                          (2) a commercial motor vehicle includes a vehicle capable of or designed to meet the
                          standards described in paragraph (a), clause (2), whether or not the towed unit is attached to the
                          truck-tractor at the time of the violation or stop.
                          EDIT: there is no CDL endorsement. You have a CDL--Class C, B or A license, as opposed to the class D which allows you to operate vehicles not defined as commercial motor vehicles (above).

Comment

Originally posted by HailStorm View Post
                            For "recreational use," there is no weight restriction.
                            For commercial use, from MSS169.01 Sub75

EDIT: there is no CDL endorsement. You have a CDL--Class C, B or A license, as opposed to the class D which allows you to operate vehicles not defined as commercial motor vehicles (above).
                            Alright, thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure if I was legally driving one of our trucks at work because I only have a D class license, but I'm sure that it's under 26k lbs so I'm good. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by LCM99 View Post
                              Alright, thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure if I was legally driving one of our trucks at work because I only have a D class license, but I'm sure that it's under 26k lbs so I'm good. Thanks.
                              Note, under 26k GVWR not under 26k unloaded. I drive a school bus. Empty, thing is about 9k pounds, but the GVWR is 32k. Your work trucks may have a GVWR of over 26k but they never run them that full, it would not matter.
                              The trucks should have the GVWR somewhere on a sticker on the truck; the door is popular place.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4398 users online. 286 members and 4112 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X