300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WI Degree POST certification?

Hey guys. Long time listener, first time caller sort of deal. I echo everyone elses comments on appreciating all the LEO people who post here and provide info.

Now that the pleasantries are taken care of..

My question is a basic one. I am an MN native, but ended up going to school in Eau Claire, WI for my 4 year degree. Now, I had originally planned on trying to get a job in MN after graduation in a year. This POST stuff is confusing me, and I have felt like I have read all the stuff off their site but still haven't got an answer to my question. I’m hoping this is pretty simple stuff to anyone working in MN.

Is there a way that I can graduate with a WI degree, and then go through a tech school program (an academy of sorts) to get licensed in MN? I don't see any mention of that on the website, alls the info I can get from it talks about doing the reciprocity deal where If I'm certified in WI with a degree and have worked three years I can transfer over.

Do I really have to Start my career in WI for a few years before I can get a chance to move over to MN? or am I missing something really basic here.

Thanks for any help
    Cash for clunkers was great for Wisconsin. We traded in Brett Favre for Aaron Rogers.

Before someone else refers you to the POST website or an archived thread, I'll give you the quick and dirty answer. Because you have a degree from WI, none of your classes are going to be POST accredited, which means you'll have to go through a program here in MN that provides all the LE classes necessary for POST. I just finished a program for people with 4 yr degrees. I had to take some pre-req's, then some LE theory classes, and then SKills (Plus a First Responder course). I probably have enough credits for a double major at this point. I have a friend that came from CA w/ a 2yr CJ, but had to go through a similar program because MN didn't accept much of his coursework. I'm sure any of these fine POST accredited MN schools would be happy to take your money; the question is, do you think you have what it takes to actually get hired over the hundreds of candidates applying for each position? If you can get a job in WI and get some experience over there, maybe that's your best bet. I don't know what its like in WI, maybe its just as competitive as MN. Sounds like you'll have at least another year and a half of schooling to qualify in MN.

Comment

Thanks for the fast response.

Another year and a half of schooling after a 4 year degree just to be able to apply for a job in MN? Yikes. Thats unfortunate, the officers in my home town diddn't see any problem with me going to school in WI and then coming back to MN. Wish I would have looked into that stuff a bit more and not just taken their word for it.

WI is not to diffrent from MN I suppose. I actually view MN/WI as one state with two very diffrent football teams. I suppose the biggest reason I had wanted to start out in MN was simply its where I grew up, its what I know, and when you look at an average department in MN vs. one in WI, MN pays a bit more. However, I don't know if a copule extra thousand a year average is necesarrily worth an extra year and a half of college tuition/lifestyle costs.

I appreciate you helping me out like you did though, I've poured over the POST site and tried to dig up some stuff in the archives of the fourm, and was afraid someone was just going to respond and tell me to use the search function
      Cash for clunkers was great for Wisconsin. We traded in Brett Favre for Aaron Rogers.

Comment

http://www.mntrooper.com/

The state patrol is running a LETO program, a 2 or 4 yr degree and we will send you to skills and our training academy. Last I heard, we will be running this program next year.

Comment

Minneapolis has a similar program...
          Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Ok, after doing a bit more research, quick question.

The "Skills" I see meantioned everywhere. Is that the 'hands on' psuedo academy for MN? similar to what WI calls "recruit school"?

But to get to that, I would have to take the 30ish or so random credits in CJ that are aparantly only good if you get them at MN schools, sort of like the 'program' Getbusy was talking about.

So, in order to work in MN my understanding is after graduating with my 4 year, I would need to take another year of school at a MN tech school or what not, which would then allow me to take "skills" following which I would be able to apply at MN departments?

Thats my understanding of things, does that sound about right or am I missing something here?

That is of course, provided I don't persue a program through either the State patrol or Minneapolis (thanks guys)

Just trying to understand how the system works.

Comment

I'm not an LEO yet but from what I've heard, you can be a MN trooper with any 4 yr degree. They will put you through training and classes to get you POST certified. Cities and counties don't offer this.
              RIP Sgt. Joe Bergeron, We will surely miss you.

- EOW 5/1/2010 -

Comment

Originally posted by yangsTa View Post
                I'm not an LEO yet but from what I've heard, you can be a MN trooper with any 4 yr degree. They will put you through training and classes to get you POST certified. Cities and counties don't offer this.

Ahh.....I think we just said that (and it is a 2 or a 4 yr degree)

Comment

It all comes down to what your 4 year degree is in and what classes will transfer. I received a bachelors degree from UMD in Criminology, but it was basically worthless when it came time to go to skills because like someone already said, there are some things needed that just don't transfer to the tech schools or community colleges. Like someone else already said earlier, I had to take three or four classes to get into the skills program which where I went (CCJLE) involved two semesters. All in all I ended up going to four years at UMD, one semester at Normandale CC and two semesters (skills) at CCJLE. Through CCJLE, depending on what your four year is in, you would be earning a Law Enforcement Certificate. There were a few students I went to skills with that came from WI schools with four year degrees. Any specific questions you might have, concerning what else is needed, i would tell you to contact the schools that offer skills directly.

Comment

Look into MCTC's Law Enforcement Certificate. this is what it says

Law Enforcement Certificate
                    Credits: 21
                    The Law Enforcement Certificate program is open to
                    students who are not seeking an A.S. degree in Law
                    Enforcement from MCTC and who have been admitted
                    to the Professional Licensing program at the Center for
                    Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement. Students in the
                    certificate program must have already earned a minimum
                    two-year degree from a regionally accredited college
                    as required by Minnesota law to be eligible to take the
                    Minnesota Post Board exam. Call the Center at
                    651-999-7600 for additional information.
                    First Semester
                    Course # Course Name Credits
                    LAWE 2225 Criminal Investigation 3.00
                    LAWE 2230 Legal Issues and Law Enforcement 3.00
                    LAWE 2231 MN Criminal and Traffic Codes 3.00
                    LAWE 2240 Patrol Operations 3.00
                    Total Semester Credits: 12
                    Second Semester
                    Course # Course Name Credits
                    LAWE 2299 Law Enforcement Integrated
                    Practicum 9.00
                    Total Semester Credits: 9
                    www.minneapolis.edu |
                    Last edited by SCSU10; 08-13-2008, 03:34 PM.
                    "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

You can't really recommend MCTC's program to poorcollegekid because he doesn't have the pre-req's for that program which are not listed on your post. The pre-req's alone would add another two semesters; he may as well get his master's degree. I went through Metro, but that was also long and arduous.
                      As 40cal and squad51 said, State Patrol and MPD have programs to take care of that, but you first have to get hired in order to make those programs work for you. It worked out for me, but what about the other 900 applicants?
                      I'm just sayin', if I was poorcollegekid,...young, single, educated and carefree, I'd finish my degree, get a job in WI for a few years(gain invaluable experience), and then be able to pick and choose which agency I'd like to work for...in any state.

Comment

I agree, if I were in his/her position I would get some experience in WI and then go to the department of choosing.
                        "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Haha. "Young, single educated and care free" That is definatley a diffrent way to look at it. Thanks guys. The valid point is raised that if I am spending an additional two years in school post graduation, it would probably be for a masters, not pre reqs for a certification..

Thanks alot guys, I appreciate it. I suppose WI isn't a bad place to start out, I do enjoy cheese...

Comment

If you still have 1 1/2 years left before you can get your 4 year why not transfer back to a MN school and finish here?

Comment

Well I would agree thats an option, its alot easier to say "just transfer" then it is to go ahead and do it. Alot of other things go into it though. Eau Claire is a pretty good school, I'm well established on the campus with some pretty decent student jobs that in some cases provide good breaks on tuition/residency, good sets of friends, athletic teams etc. Well transfering to MN would let me start my career off in MN, I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6104 users online. 345 members and 5759 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X