300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of state Lateral...

Anyone know of any departments that are out of state lateral friendly?

I don't know of any specific agencies that are "out-of-state lateral friendly" per se. However, you will need to attend the MCOLES Recognition of Prior Training & Experience. Out-of-state candidates for Recognition of Prior Training and Experience must have completed at least one year of full-time, fully empowered, paid police service following his/her police training.

Visit the below link to learn more about being an out-of-state lateral. However, Michigan is currently a very hard state to land a LEO job in. Prospective LEO applicants who are native to Michigan are having a hard time landing a job. Not saying that an agency wouldn't hire you if you were the most qualified, I'm just saying it's going to be slightly tougher than usual.

http://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,160...8071--,00.html

Comment

The DNR is accepting applications for Conservation Officer through the end of September for certified and non-certified candidates. I believe non-certified candidates will be sponsored through a regional academy. Certified candidates will be good to go.

Comment

I was talking to a DNR officer the other day, he said licensed or license-able hires will go through several "mini academies" to learn the boat, ORV, conservation laws... non licensed/license-able hires will go through the regional academy.
        LEO hopeful

Comment

No department will even consider you until you have completed the recognition of prior training and experience program. It's a pretty well-organized program similar to CA's POST recognition program. You have the option of either taking the whole program over the course of a week, or testing out in a 2 day session. I know because I am taking the program myself next month, and have been dealing with the state of Michigan and various dept's there for a while, trying to figure everything out. feel free to pm me if u have any questions.....

Comment

and also, there are a lot of dept's hiring in Michigan now and from time to time, you just have to keep your eyes open

Comment

I just got a letter from GA POST, and they accepted my academy training toward their certification. I just have to take 200 hrs of GA law, EVO and Firearms certs. Then I take their exit exam, and I'm certified in Georgia. Not sure if I'll do it, but its definately something I'm thinking about.
              Tennessee also said they'd accept me.

Comment

I'm a Police Recruiter in NC. Most agencies in NC accept out-of-state lateral transfers. The following are NC Criminal Justice Standards Division's guideline for out-of-state lateral transfers:

Out-of-state transferees will be evaluated to determine the amount and quality of their training and experience. At a minimum, out-of-state candidates must have two years of full-time, sworn law enforcement experience and have successfully completed a basic law enforcement training course accredited by the state from which they are transferring in order to be considered for transfer to a North Carolina law enforcement agency. Out-of-state transferees cannot have a break in service exceeding one year.

Prior to employment as a certified law enforcement officer in North Carolina, out-of-state transferees must successfully complete the employing agency's in-service firearms training and qualification program. They must also complete the Legal Unit (minimum of 96 hours) of the Commission-accredited BLET and successfully pass the entire state comprehensive examination within their 12-month probationary period.

Persons who have completed training as a federal law enforcement officer or a military police officer will be required to complete the Commission-accredited BLET in its entirety and successfully pass the state comprehensive examination prior to employment.

Comment

I looked in Michigan for departments that accept out of state laterals. Like the other posts have said, it is a tuff market. That is why I selected the state of Washington. There are a lot of departments out here that are "out of state" lateral friendly. In fact 2 other laterals and I are attending a 2 week lateral academy starting September 8th. One of the laterals is from Michigan and the other one is from Ohio. I am from Minnesota.

Just a thought if you are not set on working in Michigan. Washington state departments also pay a lot better.....just my .02 worth.

Comment

I forgot to mention, that some of the departments have an accelerated testing process for out of town candidates and also relocation assistance. I only had to make 2 trips and will receive $1,000 for relocation expenses. It's not much, but it helps.

Comment

Yea, most dept. out here will accept the MCOLES waiver/recert training. As long as you have that this makes you (certifiable) which is what most dept. here require.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5165 users online. 295 members and 4870 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X