300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attending Oakland Police Academy

I'll be attending Oakland Police Academy this fall and I would like to know if anyone has any words of wisdom to pass on.

Thanks

Pay attention and do what you are told....good luck and congratulations!!!

Comment

Arrive to class each day on time and squared away. Be sure to be clean shaven, have a pressed uniform, and all of your required books and materials. Take good notes during the legal portions and don't be afraid to ask questions about anything. Respond to / preface any response with sir/ma'am.

Also, it's usually beneficial to arrange a sort of study group with your classmates. Plan to meet up somewhere and compare notes, quiz each other and clarify any areas that you're unsure of. This will help you and your classmates when it comes time for the weekly or bi-weekly chapter tests, and also the final MCOLES exam.

Otherwise, it's pretty much straightforward. Show up, conduct PT / DT, sit in class, eat lunch, sit in some more class, go home, for 17 weeks or whatever it is nowadays.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I can't wait to start on the 21st.

Comment

Carl_71 if things haven't changed since I was there in 2004, make sure your always on time (for the beginning of the day and between brakes). Remember to always stand in class when talking to an instructor. PT isn't horrible just do your best and never quit, if you haven't been running alot start now because my PT instructors loved to run. The academy isn't hard as long as you study, keep up on class assignments and keep your noise clean.

Comment

No problem. You'll be fine I guarantee. The academy is not meant to fail anyone out, in fact they want you to pass. The real test comes once you get on with an agency and start FTO. In the meantime, have fun, make friends and soak up as much info as you can.

Comment

Carl, as an OPA alum, I'm sure you're going to do great. Just be prepared for giving your best in everything - and beyond. I wish I could go back and relearn so much of what I was taught. It all was a blur. Just do what you're told and do it when you're told. Oh, and if ya mess up, as you WILL, come clean about it to Tillman. I never got in trouble for anything because i was always honest about my screw ups. And be prepared for more PT than I had to endure... a little mouse I know is making the PT area tougher than what it was when I went through. The instructors LOVE to make you work - but they are there to make sure you succeed. Trust me. It's not their job to make you fail. They're there for anything you need. You just have to ask. Oh yeah, and the first day of class make sure your boots are DAMN shiny. They'll look. And always always have your handcuff key, your notebook in your breastpocket and everything all squared away. They'll be looking from day one. Especially on day one. GOOD LUCK! Any questions or probs feel free to PM me.

Comment

Have fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Carl_71 View Post
                  I'll be attending Oakland Police Academy this fall and I would like to know if anyone has any words of wisdom to pass on.

Thanks
                  Do you have any job waiting for you after the academy?

Good Luck and congrats.....

BTW if you see Mr. Allen (senior) tell 'em Emmanuel says hi......Im sure he will know who I am...
                  sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

When I went through in o4 it was pertty cool, like it was said above, be on time, and pay attention, and study.

Comment

Originally posted by goblue17 View Post
                      Carl_71 if things haven't changed since I was there in 2004, make sure your always on time (for the beginning of the day and between brakes). Remember to always stand in class when talking to an instructor. PT isn't horrible just do your best and never quit, if you haven't been running alot start now because my PT instructors loved to run. The academy isn't hard as long as you study, keep up on class assignments and keep your noise clean.
                      I wonder if we were in the same class?

Comment

Did you guys go through the 2004 class session 1 (Feb-Jun) or session 2 (Aug-Dec)?

Comment

Originally posted by eman2k5 View Post
                          Do you have any job waiting for you after the academy?
                          So far nothing is 100% but I do have a good offer.

Comment

MIDEPUTY if you went through 04-1 I was there with you.

Comment

Originally posted by goblue17 View Post
                              MIDEPUTY if you went through 04-1 I was there with you.
                              You were indeed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4329 users online. 274 members and 4055 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X