300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Valley State University Police Academy

I am in the process of getting into the GVSU Academy. I was wondering how the interview process works. Do they drill you hard with questions, if so what type of questions do they ask?

Just had the interviews yesterday but they made it clear we are NOT to talk about the process with anyone. Sorry!
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Having gone through GVSU's academy I can tell you that it is a great academy, you should be proud if you are accepted. Be prepaired for hard PT, great instructors, and the leadership that Director Wallace provides is 1st class. If you are fifteen minutes early your on time, if you are on time your late, and if your late do not bother showing up.
      Relentless

Comment

I went through GVSU's academy as well. Dir Wallace is tough. He is about his business and will be on you hard. Just be ready for that.

The PT is ridiculous...period.

They overly prepare you for the MCOLES Licensing Exam.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by WestMICop View Post
          Having gone through GVSU's academy I can tell you that it is a great academy, you should be proud if you are accepted. Be prepaired for hard PT, great instructors, and the leadership that Director Wallace provides is 1st class. If you are fifteen minutes early your on time, if you are on time your late, and if your late do not bother showing up.
          I just graduated from GVSU this past August. I realize this post is old, but when I hit the web looking for what to expect, this post came up. I want to add to it so if someone else does what I did, they can see updated info. I want to add to what is stated above.
          1- If you get accepted, take it to heart. This academy is 1st class! Be proud, but humble.
          2- PT is hard. Be prepared for shuttle running, calisthenics. Push-ups, circle push-ups, sit ups, mountain climbers, up-downs etc.
          3- Dir. Wallace is great. He is very fair and to the point. He will make sure you are prepared for the job at hand. As good as you think you may know him, keep it professional every minute of every day.
          4- as stated above, if your late- don't bother coming back. If class starts at 0800, you will be there 0730-0745.
          5- Your uniform reflects who you are. It will be pressed and fly ends will be cut off. Boots polished to a shine. If you can't see a reflection of yourself, keep buffing. Sunglasses are not part of your uniform- definitely not on top of your head.
          6- The on time thing- yea, that applies to morning PT too. If PT starts at 0630, you be there stretching at 0600 and be ready to sweat at 0630. When that PT instructor walks up, it's called to attention then PT time. If your not stretched, you'll be sorry.
          7- Memo Writing- If you have a difficult time following any of the above bullets, make sure your memo writing is on point. You'll be doing a lot of those.

Last but not least: Bullet 7- that does not apply to stupid decisions you make on your free time. This costs you a lot of money. Keep telling yourself that. PUT THE BOOZE away. Do Not Touch it for 16 weeks you are there. It can and will hurt you. We told ourselves we wanted to graduate with every single person. This followed us through daily activities. PT, Academics EVERYTHING! My class started with 40 recruits. We where going strong till we lost one to MSP. He left at week 4 to go through thei academy. That's fine, that's humble. We can still graduate knowing we didn't loose anyone to weakness or dumb decisions. 14 weeks in, 2 weeks till graduation. We are on the downhill per say. Finishing the fine lines, prepping for Licensing Exam. We graduated 38. It was a Monday morning (PT M/W/F). I showed up at 6, because I'm old and needed more stretch time. One of my classmates was already there (I was usually always the first). They said did you hear what happened? No, I go home on Friday and study and sleep.. We lost one... Picked on a OWI. I was blown away. I, in a million years wouldn't have thought at this point in the game we would have lost one TO THAT!

SO my point, put it away and leave it till after graduation. Remember, if you THINK someone is watching you... Your wrong. Someone IS watching you.
          Last edited by MIPSO; 09-27-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8009 users online. 424 members and 7585 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X