Anyone go to Schoolcraft, How was it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone go to Schoolcraft, How was it?

Last edited by Cjstuden11; 01-02-2008, 02:06 AM.

I did not go to Schoolcraft, but know many who did. The academies are pretty much the same. It does not matter where you go in MI. Actually you should try to get out of MI and go out West or down South where they have great pay with $10,000 signing bonuses, take home cars, moving expenses, statewide retirements, on and on...Schoolcraft will take your money. There are hardly any cop jobs in Michigan. This state is about dead. The few cop jobs that come up over 300 people apply for just a couple of positions. You would be lucky to get a part-time job that pays $9.00 an hour before your certifiable status runs out. Most people I know who graduated the academy recently are back in their old jobs or something entirely differant.

Comment

I can't tell you how depressing that really is to me. I figured that things were all about to come together when I was finished with school here. It sucks to hear from someone with experience that I'm probably wasting my time.

Comment

Your not wasting your time.. Finish the academy and apply everywhere that's hiring..Detroit is hiring again but you have to go through their academy. I believe that Wayne County might be hiring too but you probably know you'll be in the jails for awhile but I hear that they're certifying a lot of the deputies so thats a plus and then you can go elsewhere. But just in case, don't put all your cards on being a cop (atleast in MI). Might be smart to have a backup plan

Comment

Originally posted by JSS1284 View Post
          Your not wasting your time.. Finish the academy and apply everywhere that's hiring..Detroit is hiring again but you have to go through their academy. I believe that Wayne County might be hiring too but you probably know you'll be in the jails for awhile but I hear that they're certifying a lot of the deputies so thats a plus and then you can go elsewhere. But just in case, don't put all your cards on being a cop (atleast in MI). Might be smart to have a backup plan
          You do not have to go to Detroit's academy if you've already been to one. You go through their academy when you get hired if you haven't already gone to one. Wayne County just hired 20 and are on hold for now, but will be hiring more shortly. Everyone in Wayne County should be certified within the next year. Sheriff Evans is pushing to get everyone in the department certified, except for the old timers who chose never to go to the academy and just want to work in the jails for their career.

Comment

Yeah you guys are right...I dunno why I'm being so negative. I really don't wanna move because I love Detroit, if there's a will there is a way usually. I have a reeeeeealllly good person on my side at the Sheriff's Dept in Wayne County, I just didn't know if I'd be stuck in the jail even if I were certifiable; guess I should give him a call and ask him. I wouldn't mind working in Detroit either and I figured they'd take you in a heartbeat if you had put yourself through school and the academy.

Like I said before I am also a part-time, (couple shifts a month) FF/EMT. I'm banking as well that I can apply at the dept's where they are Public Safety Officers, I spoke with one Chief and he told me that he rarely sees applicants that are dual-certified coming in the door; usually they send them to a fire academy after FTO.

Comment

As was stated before, you're not wasting your time. There are jobs in the state. True, they don't number in the hundreds like other regions of the country, but thats the nature of the economy right now. Jobs are really starting to open up again (albeit slowly) around MI so keep the faith. There is another MI thread going right now that has listed out PD's and SO's across the state that are hiring.

As far as DPD, you would not have to attend a full academy if you go through Schoolcraft's academy. If you're already certifiable and get hired with Detroit, you would have to attend an abbreviated academy (which cuts out all the MCOLES required curriculum that you will have already learned; it would focus only on Detroit city ordinances, DPD policy/procedure, geography/orientation, etc).

To answer the original question, I am not a grad of Schoolcraft's academy, but I have heard good things.
              Those who stand for nothing often fall for anything.

Comment

Get your degree and go out of state and get a better job, no reason to stay here where all the dept.'s are getting rid of their pensions and everything else that made the job worthwhile...all the new guys will just get shafted, go to vegas or arizona or texas...where they'll hire you no matter what and pay you three times as much... I like Detroit too but I'm on my way out as we speak...I'll let you know where you can apply to take my old job once I leave ha.

Comment

An academy is an academy is an academy, unless you've attended the MSP or DNR recruit school then those academies are in a league of their own.

I haven't heard anything bad about Schoolcraft's academy either. Essentially, with a pre-service academy IMHO it comes down to the cost of the academy, and how convenient it is for you to commute. All of the academies teach the same MCOLES mandated curriculum, and some even teach a little bit more. However, they all get you to the same end point which is MCOLES certifiable.

In a rare instance, an agency may be more fond of grads from one academy opposed to another but if you're the better candidate in the hiring process, the agency is not going to pass you up in order to hire someone from an academy they're more fond of.

Comment

Originally posted by MIDeputy View Post
                    An academy is an academy is an academy, unless you've attended the MSP or DNR recruit school then those academies are in a league of their own.
                    Oh COME ON- that's just more of the MSP spreading it's elitist bull****. They are the same- if they're even as good. Look at the **** poor traffic tactics they teach their guys (and gals) and the poor excuse for no modern cages in the cars. Tradition doesnt' do their guys any good on the street- and not everything that is tradition is good. ****- they might as well still be wearing cross draw holsters as the piece of crap ones their using now.
                    MSP isn't ANY better than most departments out there- less in some cases.
                    But that's not a slam against the Troopers as much as it is against the idea that they're elite on any level.
                    Last edited by Rohan; 11-25-2007, 11:59 AM.
                    "When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power ... like God must feel when he's holding a gun. " Homer Simpson

sigpic

Comment

Regional/Community College Police Academy: 16 weeks
                      MSP Trooper Academy: 20 weeks
                      DNR CO Academy held at the MSP Academy: 22 weeks

Trooper & CO academies are recruit schools and live in academies. Lots of yelling and no going home at night. MCOLES requirements are the same, the overall experience is not.
                      http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...4438--,00.html
                      Last edited by warrior1978; 11-25-2007, 12:41 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Originally posted by warrior1978 View Post

Trooper & CO academies are recruit schools and live in academies. Lots of yelling and no going home at night. MCOLES requirements are the same, the overall experience is not.

Even though MCOLES requirements are the same, does not mean the overall experience is. There are a lot more challenges that come into play other than MCOLES. It is a lot more demanding to live at an academy Sunday night thru Fri for 20 weeks. Just think of the emotional stress it can cause for a candidate being away from his/her family 6 days out of the week, and only being able to make a quick phone call each night for 5 months. A live in academy your life is controlled 24 hours a day. In a regional academy no matter how bad that particular day is, you are coming home that evening to your family (wife, husband, kids) and can even get to bed before 10:00pm for a few hours of extra sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohan View Post
                          Oh COME ON- that's just more of the MSP spreading it's elitist bull****. They are the same- if they're even as good. Look at the **** poor traffic tactics they teach their guys (and gals) and the poor excuse for no modern cages in the cars. Tradition doesnt' do their guys any good on the street- and not everything that is tradition is good. ****- they might as well still be wearing cross draw holsters as the piece of crap ones their using now.
                          MSP isn't ANY better than most departments out there- less in some cases.
                          But that's not a slam against the Troopers as much as it is against the idea that they're elite on any level.
                          I'm not saying that the MSP or DNR are better agencies than any other however, as dep1299 stated a live-in academy is certainly a whole different experience than a regional academy and that's what I was trying to convey as well. Having been in the military, a live-in academy wouldn't be as hard on me as someone who has never been away from home. However, the MSP and DNR recruit schools are alot more physically demanding and psychologically challenging than a regional academy. But yes the MCOLES requirements are the same at any academy you attend.

Comment

Originally posted by warrior1978 View Post

The Marine Corp is only 12 weeks, are you saying longer training academies are better?
                            Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

"Defense aint for no nice people." Neamiah Warrick, first year starting Saftey, Michigan State University 2006

Comment

Originally posted by lawhog View Post
                              The Marine Corp is only 12 weeks, are you saying longer training academies are better?

What does the requirements and duration of a MCOLES police acadmey have to do with military boot camp?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7541 users online. 305 members and 7236 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X