300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit Police Department

I was thinking about applying for this department because when I first visit the city in 2014, this city needed help and with this comeback it would be worth it to apply here. For anyone who is DPD Officer, or cadet in the academy, what’s the hiring process like for DPD? Also, what’s the salary and benefits like?

The hiring process is very simple. The process will be very fast depending on your work history/ criminal history if you so happen to have one. Benefits are decent and starting pay is roughly 27k but you’ll work a lot of over time once in the streets.

Comment

starting pay is roughly 27k

Ouch. Poverty line for a family of four is $25K.

The city is coming back downtown but the neighborhoods remain rubble strewn combat zones. Low pay, no pension, no social security, pro sport teams all suck. It's not for the faint of heart....
      Last edited by Ratatatat; 06-29-2019, 08:01 AM.
      Gonads are useful for their purpose, but they are no substitute for brains.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...oits-east-side

Storyline: neighborhood kid mows neighbor's lawn and comes to collect $25 with rifle across chest, as captured on door camera (obviously an AR rifle. When it comes to firearms, WDIV knows nothing about nothing.) New tenant pays kid despite moving in after kid mowed lawn.

Detroit.

Gonads are useful for their purpose, but they are no substitute for brains.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

Pay isn't great, but they are scheduled to get raises over the next coming years. https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...es/1681873002/

I'm currently applying with them now and I interned in the past with them and here's what I'll say. I was told the process can take about 6-8 weeks depending on your background investigation. I've also heard that they can drag their feet at times, so you might have to push them a bit. I didn't hear anything two weeks after I applied so I called them and was given a date for orientation/mcoles fitness test.

From my experience interning, there's some officers who love it, some who don't like it, and some older officers who wish they had left when they were younger but are just trying to wait it out until retirement. Due to the condition of the city/population, you have the potential to be really busy, and take a lot of exciting/dangerous calls if that's what you're after, but on the flip side you're also going to take lots of domestics/mental calls. In one week during my ride-alongs we ended up at the same house 3 times where the call was simply the female's "baby daddy" showed up drunk at her door wanting to argue. Apparently this was really common for them. There's some issues with equipment/cars, but I did my internship in 2017, and since then I've seen a lot of the new explorers out on the road. Overall, its busy work, and the pay is less than ideal, BUT the current mayor and chief are doing the best the can to get better pay, and to improve all they can about the department. From the outside it looks like the city and department are trending upwards, the hope is that it will stay that way.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5970 users online. 348 members and 5622 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X