300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As of today, the chronic is legal

The people have spoken. I'm not sure they are prepared for what is about to come, but they have spoken.

Medical "care providers" have storefronts in many cities already. Next step: consumer retailers will be as ubiquitous as 7/11 and Starbucks.

BUT: this may be a boon for employment. I recall an episode of 60 Minutes after Colorado legalized marihuana, and because the growers were cash-only operations, they were hiring former LEOs to be armed couriers at double their previous salaries. One former guy was laughing about how two years prior, he was raiding grow operations, but now he worked for one.

QUESTION: after years of enforcing dope laws, would you have any qualms about making money off the sale/distribution of Satan's weed?
    When you're 20 you care what everyone thinks, when you're 40 you stop caring what everyone thinks, when you're 60 you realize no one was ever thinking about you in the first place.

-Winston Churchill

lol Satan's weed.

It was only made illegal in the early 20th century. It's bound to become legalized at some point, there's too much profit the government is going to miss out on taxing. Personally, I'm not a big fan of weed, but I do believe there are worse vices out there. I can see both sides to the argument. Personally, the only legalization I'd be in favor of is for medical reasons.

As to enforcement. Speaking from the fed side. I've seen one weed case during my tenure, and it was cosco size quantity.

Now I wouldn't be partaking in indulging in it after retirement, but since you brought it up, come to think of it, I do feel very guilty now in my alcohol consumption post Prohibition

Comment

Enjoy ALL the shtheads and the resulting idiocy...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Take a lesson from California andl look for all sorts of new enforcement headaches now that its legal.

Once cities see the kind of people that patronize these establishments, they will enact zoning laws restricting their locations to limited areas, This will start prolonged court battles over government's right to regulate the location of such businesses and cause underground shops to sprout up.

Next, government will jump on licensing and taxation, driving the price up and creating underground sellers who won't collect tax. This will involve both clandestine shops and clandsestine grows that don't want to be licensed and taxed.

Then, government will then decide weed needs to be "healthy" and will prohibit the sale of product that has not been inspected and passed certain tests to insure it is free of things "harmful" to the public. Of course these inspections will up the price, creating more clandestine sellers who do not want to jump through all the bureaucratic hoops.

By the time government gets through milking it for taxes and imposing all manner of restrictions, the big profit will still be in illegal grows, clandestine sellers and dope cops will still be needed, but they will be revenuers instead.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Oh. Like...Cartels and sht...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

L-1, so the end result of legalization in CA is... a continuing black market with criminal activity?! That's exactly what I don't think people realize about what happens when the devil's herb gets legalized. Problems don't get remedied, they just morph into new problems....

RE: zoning. When medicinal pot was legalized in MI a few years back, there was minimal restrictions in the legislation, as if Cheech and Chong had written the bill and made sure the interests of growers and users were paramount. What happened next was an explosion of "care provider" businesses, and a boom side hustle for doctors (in order to be 100% legal, a doctor needed to issue a medicinal card. Billboards everywhere advertised $99 card specials).

The "care providers", aka the growers, set up retail shops in middle class neighborhoods, in small towns, in farming communities, in big cities. It didn't take long before municipal governments began to realize the only real leverage they had to keep containment on this was zoning laws, and now only a limited number of cities allow these establishments to operate (usually not in middle to upper class towns but already distressed communities in larger cities). I suspect the same scenario will play out for recreational pot.

So basically, the suburbs will still go into the city to get dope. Nothing changes there. But here's my concern, which I don't think people fully understand. Full legalization will permeate and strain the fabric that holds communities together in an entropic, transformative way. I say this because I lived for several years in the southeast US in a coastal community where basically half the population smoked the green. The outcome of this was reflected in soooo many ways- how people kept their houses, in the quality of the schools, in the limited employment options open to frequent users, on and on.

I recognize alcohol is a significant strain on society as well but now wonder: do we really need to add another element to the mix?
            When you're 20 you care what everyone thinks, when you're 40 you stop caring what everyone thinks, when you're 60 you realize no one was ever thinking about you in the first place.

-Winston Churchill

Comment

So you're saying all the medical marijuana places on 8 Mile (that already outnumber strip clubs, BTW) will now become retail shops?

Shocking...
              Originally posted by RSGSRT
              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5761 users online. 219 members and 5542 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X