300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakland County SO

Hello all. I tested about three years ago for Detroit. Are they still on the hiring freeze? I saw that Oakland SO is hiring. My buddy said they are always hiring. Is this true? Any information on the SO?

I'm out of state, any big agencies in MI hiring?

Oakland CO is usually hiring, you have to look at the fine lines though. Usually there spots are for what they call a Deputy 1. To my understanding a Deputy 1 works the jail and occasionaly under special circumstances goes outside of the jail. Now mind you Deputy 1 is a foot in the door to a place that I would consider a GREAT job if you can stick it out to become a deputy 2 (road deputy). Thats the way I understand it, maybe there is a Oakland CO deputy or Officer in Oakland CO that can better explain it.

Detroit, I was in there process when the freeze just started...they just sent me a letter saying I could re-apply if I was still interested. To be honest though, you are better off staying in CO, or going to Florida, California, Vegas, or Texas. All those places need cops and have NONE, we have a ton of cops and no jobs. IRONIC!!

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by comilehighpower
      Hello all. I tested about three years ago for Detroit. Are they still on the hiring freeze? I saw that Oakland SO is hiring. My buddy said they are always hiring. Is this true? Any information on the SO?

I'm out of state, any big agencies in MI hiring?

Oakland is always hiring ( my teacher is a Sgt. with them ) YOU WILL START OFF IN THE JAIL. like prangler said, you will first be deputy 1. Than after around 3-5 years you can move on too deputy 2.

http://www.oakgov.com/pers0001/view....99&rpt=&JType=

CLOSING 4-23-07, APPLY NOW !

My teacher says with all the overtime etc. you can make $80,000.

Comment

Ocso

Oakland County Sheriff's Office is a great place to work. One drawback for most applicants is that everyone needs to start off their career in corrections. I heard before I got hired that it is very possible be on road patrol within a year, which is true, but is highly unlikely from what I've seen. The D11 test comes around about once every 1 1/2, so you would have to have perfect timing of having at least six months in corrections which are required to test, and a lot of good luck.

Working corrections is a great place to start a career in LE. It will prepare you for working the road as a D11, or will keep your MCOLES certification current until you find what you're looking for at another department. It seems that a lot of Deps come into the job really wanting to go on the road and after working corrections they end up making it a career. You can have a very good work schedule and make between $75,000-100,000 once at top pay + a lot of overtime available.

If you get promoted and become a D11 the sky is the limit. This department has more opportunities than any other department I know of with no budget problems that I've seen. Opportunities include: 15 different sub-stations to work, alcohol enforcement unit, traffic, 2 aviation units, canine, marine division, motorcycle unit, swat, lab, fire investigation, fugitive team, auto theft, computer crimes, training unit, and so on. Plus our road patrol can come into the job and work overtime.

I think people need to look at the big picture. You have 25+ years on the job, so if you spend a couple of years in corrections this department has everything to offer. I personally can't see myself working the same couple square miles my entire career with very little opportunity and worrying about getting laid off. Over the past seven years, most departments have lost a lot of officers through retirement and not replaced them. This department has hired anywhere from 30-50+ deps per year over the past couple of years.

Comment

do you HAVE to have mcoles before you apply? i applied in 2003 when I lived in troy before moving back here and was told i wasn't qualified and a deputy friend of mine told me I needed to get my mcoles before i applied.

Comment

Mystikal

You would have to have your MCOLES reading & writing and physical fitness test. Once you have taken the writing test it does not expire. The physical fitness test expires after a certain amount of time once taken. The majority of applicants that are hired have the police academy completed. I heard a rumor recently that there were 300 applicants and half of the candidates are police officers from other departments, layoffs, or have been through the police academy. However, if you get hired and dont have the academy, OCSO will send you. Usually it takes between 3-6 years to get the academy. During the academy you get your full pay and they pay for it....not a bad deal. But if you already have the academy done, it can speed up the process getting out to the road.

In my first posting above I stated, "Plus our road patrol can come into the job and work overtime." I meant to say that any D11, no matter what division they are in, can work overtime in the jail during their off time. This is another benefit that most departments dont have. Working an extra 8-32 hours a week at 1 1/2 per hour can add up throughout the year.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I was a Detention Deputy in Arizona for 2 1/2 years. So hopefully that would help me out. I actually just moved to California, Prangler. Colorado was horrible for jobs as well. I just tested with Oakland and San Francisco. So hopefully I can get hired here. If not, I'm still interested in Michigan. California is just too expensive.

How long does the hiring process take for Oakland County SO?

Comment

comile...

6-8 months for ocso hiring for dI...it took me 5-7 months for cadet

ocso is great b/c its so huge but it can be the downside too...because everything takes FOREVER since it has to go through tons of people to get approved

its worth it though

Comment

The hiring process is not really structured well in my opinion. For example, I interviewed on the same day as a fellow classmate of mine during the police academy. He was a great candidate and had prior law enforcement experience. After the interview he never received a letter of his results, or a call from the department. He now is a police officer with a great local department.

For people that progress through the process the amount of time varies. It all depends when the department plans of hiring a group of Deputies, usually around 15 at a time. So I would say the average time is between 6-12months.

Comment

What other cities are hiring?

Comment

mcoles.org look at the job listings. Great place to start.

I have to add something about Oakland Sheriff Office, I went to Oakland's academy so naturally I'm going to say they are great. But with my job I come into contact with a variety of different law enforcement agencies across Michigain including Federal. I personally feel hands down OCSO is one of the best departments to work for if you can withstand being in corrections for five years. But the plus side to corrections is the experience your going to gain. I have a lot of friends there and some of them do complain but like all departments it has ups and downs. The department is HUGE which means there is plenty of growth opportunity there.

But moving on.....a good tip for the hiring process that I found out the hard way with them. Keep on the application. The first time I filled it out, I sent it in through the website and thought I would hear back eventually....never did. I went ahead and applied a second time, advice from a deputy I called Human Resources to confirm if they recieved it and then I would call back again..... I think by keeping on them and making sure you got all what is required help speed up my process.

Comment

Wayne Co is hiring. Go to the website for details.

Comment

Why not start off has a reserve, get your feet wet with the dept. If you like them go fulltime.
                          sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Check out OCSO K-9 Unit:

http://www.oakgov.com/sheriff/assets...cle%202007.pdf

Comment

sparky and friends get trained at OCC, I see them behind J building doing there stuff.
                              sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3153 users online. 174 members and 2979 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X