300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-sponsor or hold out?

Well I'm graduating with a b.s in CJ this summer from Madonna University and was just wondering what some of your opinions are. Should I self sponsor through the academy this fall and make myself more marketable to agencies that do not sponsor (Or that would be hiring certifiable guys only) or should I get the applications out there and see what happens. Remember I only have 2 years to find a job after I graduate the academy. The director of the academy said that LE was making a comeback in MI however. We'll see how much truth is in that. I appreciate all answers/opinions/constructive criticisms. Thanks!

I'm not sure how much of a comeback LE is making in Michigan right now. It is true that there are some jobs (very few and very competitive to get) but they are mainly with cities that require you to be certifiable or licensed as MCOLES is now calling it. At some point there will be a deluge of jobs out there due to the long time of no hiring and the upcoming retirements of the baby boomers but until the economy turns around things will pretty much stay the same.

My advice to you would be to go through the academy now. Your just coming out of college and it is a natural time to continue that education rather than later when you have a full time job and more responsibilities. This will open up alot, and I mean the vast majority, of job opportunities for you. Just my 2 cents... take it for what its worth.

On the issue of being eligible for only 2 years... that rule has been waived and has been for several years now. Check the MCOLES website if you want to verify. They waived it because of all the deployments to Iraq and Afganistan. People were using up there eligibility while they were out of the country. This waiver applys to everyone not just to people in the armed forces. So until they change it back, and I don't see them doing that because more people hanging on to hope means more people paying to stay eligible, you can stay eligible for as many years as you want to pay for the refresher course. I just attended one at my one year anniversary of graduation and there were guys there attending for the third or fourth time.

Hope this helped.
    Day by Day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny...

Comment

My two sense, apply out of state they will send you through an academy and pay you while you attend. If your heart is in Mi then apply after a year of experience. Out of state agencies are preying on Mi L.E due to lack of jobs and flooded market. Out of state agencies also pay incentive for B.A degree's on monthly basis. It would be hard for me to listen to any academy coordinators as they will tell you anything to get your $$.

Comment

In the last year I have worked with 2 guys that have self-sponsored. One ended up getting hired in Altanta GA and having to re-do the academy there. That was time and money wasted in MI for him. The other has a BS in CJ and cannot find a LE job here to save his life.

My advice, Go out of state, get sponsored, and get paid while in the academy. Come back when our state is in a better fiscal situation.

Hope this helps.

Comment

My advice, if you want to live in MI do not rule out the LE jobs here. There are agencies that will sponsor you through the academy. Not a whole lot, but they are around. Believe me, I know because I was just recently hired with no prior LE experience and am being sponsored through the academy by an agency right now. Just make sure you are distinguishable. I can't stress that enough. If you fit in the crowd, it will be hard to see you. If you stand out agencies will notice that you are different than the rest.

Comment

Chad its Jake from math and CJ go to dearborn, a kid in our math class was telling me that they sponsor people.

Comment

star25....
              what agency did you get hired on with? curious who out there is paying to put their new hires through academy

Comment

Dude. I think its a bad idea getting yourself through the academy and dont even guarantee a jobs. If I were you I would move down south and find a department that will sponsor you through the academy. Especially in florida lots of department will hire you and send you to the academy. I'm in the process myself of getting hire and they're sponsor me to the academy. Michigan sucks right for someone looking into law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by coach89
                  star25....
                  what agency did you get hired on with? curious who out there is paying to put their new hires through academy

I sent you a PM.

Comment

I agree with the posters who say "go out of state to get certified".
                    I was just accepted into the academy with a dept. in the Indianapolis area. The academy starts the 30th of this month. I really didnt want to leave Michigan, but seeing how the job market for leo's is, I had no choice. Who knows, I may like it down there. The cost of living is definately better than S.E. Michigan right now.
                    Fordfreak

Comment

Originally posted by Fordfreak
                      I agree with the posters who say "go out of state to get certified".
                      I was just accepted into the academy with a dept. in the Indianapolis area. The academy starts the 30th of this month. I really didnt want to leave Michigan, but seeing how the job market for leo's is, I had no choice. Who knows, I may like it down there. The cost of living is definately better than S.E. Michigan right now.
                      Fordfreak
                      I agree with you 100%, Mich sucks for LE and cost of living just plain sucks.
                      Your option....
                      1. Sig 226
                      2. KelTec P32
                      3. S&W 442
                      Either one...it's going to hurt A LOT!!!!

Comment

Why are you staying in MI? NO JOBS !

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to just start applying out of state first. Like I said before if you want to work in MI, it is possible. You will never know if you don't even try. So try a bunch of agencies in MI and see what happens. Then at least you can say you tried, then look out of state.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2802 users online. 156 members and 2646 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X