300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questionable DPD Recruiting tactics

Can anyone explain to me how or why a director in the recruiting office would choose to use the Pysch eval that I failed at the recruiting office (about 300+ questions and talked to a psychologist for 10 mins tops) vs. the pysch eval that I had to pay $585 to retake elsewhere (took 4 test, two equaled 1000+ questions and talked to a psychologist for 40+ mins) to deny my admission into the DPD academy?

I passed all the steps thus far up to the pysch eval. I was told I could appeal and retake the test and I did and passed. But yet and still the director wants to use the one that I failed because 'they have the right to do so.'

A police officer told me to write a appeal letter to the chief of police and that's what I'm going to do. He said he looked over my file and can't see why the director would do that. So if I appeal, he thinks it might go in my favor.

But how is this even possible? What could be a possible reason?

Because the psych you paid for works for you, not the department.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Billysure1356 View Post
      A police officer told me to write a appeal letter to the chief of police and that's what I'm going to do.
      Let's stop right there.

Apparently you have been DQed on the psych. I am going to assume the agency you are applying with is a civil service agency.

Civil service agencies usually have very specific procedures about how to appeal a DQ and I doubt it is to write a letter to the Chief. In addition, they also have small windows (usually a very limited number of days) within which you must file your appeal with the civil service board after you have been notified that you have been DQed.

You can write a letter to the Chief, have it ignored, wait a month and then find you have missed your window to file a real appeal.

You need to find out what the civil service appeal process is and follow it. When you are dealing with medical/technical appeals such as the psych, representing yourself if a fools errand. You need to find an attorney who is well versed in law enforcement civil service appeals. You may wish to contact the POA for the agency you are applying with and find out what attorney they use.

If you really want the job, this is not a do it yourself project.

I can't speak for your state, but in mine, a candidate who is found psychologically unsuitable has the right to submit an independent evaluation for consideration before a final determination of disqualification, but that second opinion may only be considered and does not trump the department's evaluation.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Billysure1356
        Billysure1356 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was told by a sergeant that works in the recruiting office that went over my file as well. This wasn't a random cop I talked to. My information was sent to him. He told me to appeal the decision and that the Chief usually responds within 3 days. So apparently this is a frequent occurrence there.
        Last edited by Billysure1356; 08-05-2017, 12:52 AM. Reason: Typo

Billy,

Stop and consider for a minute, does a Chief of Police have the expertise, training (or time) necessary to sit down, read and evaluate two different psychological evaluations written by medical doctors and decide which of the two is correct?

FWIW, when an agency doesn't want someone, the direction you have been given is often what's done to misdirect an applicant, keep him busy, and in doing so, ensure ensure he misses his deadline to file a legitimate appeal.

I do wish you the best of luck.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Billysure1356
        Billysure1356 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point. Thank you. I will look into what you said.

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      Because the psych you paid for works for you, not the department.
      This is 100% the correct answer.

... Also, in my experience with psych tests, sometimes the less questions the better. Some of the stuff they ask on there is ridiculous.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8800 users online. 472 members and 8328 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X