300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Advice...

I have been in the military since August 2003 and I will be getting out this summer. I was an MP in Air Force which in the last 6 months I have supervised a hand full of troops. I will be graduating with my bachelors in criminal justice possibly this fall or the beginning of 2008. How difficult would it be for me to obtain a job as a police officer in Michigan? Where are some places that hire on a regular basis or sponsor candidates through an academy? I am originally from Grand Rapids. I know its a pain to get in as state trooper. My next question is what is the difference between certified and certifiable. I know ceritifed is being certified under MCOLES.

Also, I have applied to the Indiana State Troopers and have looked at other departments in Indiana and Illinois since they seem to sponsor more candidates through an academy. If any one could give me some advice that would be great.

Thank you
    Last edited by Noffke03; 01-31-2007, 05:29 PM.

Ok first off...its not impossible to get a job here...but it is REALLY REALLY HARD. There is a LARGE pool of qualified canidates for a very limited amount of jobs. Dearborn seems to be hiring quite a bit, and they will put you through an academy...but it will still be hard. 10 positions maybe (a lot to be hiring in this state) and like 1000 applicants, 300 tested. Muskegon I think is hiring a few right now...I have no idea if they sponsor or not. It will be hard to find a job, let alone find someone to send you through the academy...in this state at least. You will most likely have to put yourself through.

Certified is when you are a hired, sworn in, full arrest powers officer. Certifiable means you have completed the academy and state testing and you are able to be hired as an officer.

Comment

I may be answering your questions a bit out of order, but here it goes. MCOLES certified basically means you were hired by an agency, and are currently working as a sworn officer. However, certifiable means that you are a graduate of an MCOLES basic police academy, and are eligible to be certified.
      Next, I wouldn't count on getting sponsored through an academy. Michigan's economy isn't doing too well, and agencies just don't have the funds to send alot of people through an academy. Additionally, the state police had planned on running an academy this summer but who knows. The state budget is facing a huge deficit and cuts have to be made somewhere. Your best best is to go through an academy as a pre-service candidate (meaning pay your own way), get CERTIFIABLE and then hope to land a job somewhere.
      Lastly, Michigan is a tough state to get a job. The job openings for full-time police officer's are few and far between, and there is an excess of applicants. Not neccessarily qualified applicants, but nonetheless an excess of applicants. Don't get me wrong, it's possible to get a job here but it may take a while to land a job at an ideal agency.
      Anyway, good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

I would honestly advise you to move to a different state. I was in Security Forces for six years and got out in March 2006, and just recently got a job worth anything. I have my CCAF and everything, but the jobs just aren’t around. I’m not saying you can’t be a cop in Michigan, but it’s going to take a lot longer than you would think, and could be very expensive if you have to put yourself through the academy. Keep in mind if you put yourself though the academy your certification is only good for ONE year, then you can recertify for ONE MORE year, then after that its back to square one (unless you get hired). Hope this helps….I was in your shoes not to long ago. Enjoy your last months in SF.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolSp19
          I would honestly advise you to move to a different state. I was in Security Forces for six years and got out in March 2006, and just recently got a job worth anything. I have my CCAF and everything, but the jobs just aren’t around. I’m not saying you can’t be a cop in Michigan, but it’s going to take a lot longer than you would think, and could be very expensive if you have to put yourself through the academy. Keep in mind if you put yourself though the academy your certification is only good for ONE year, then you can recertify for ONE MORE year, then after that its back to square one (unless you get hired). Hope this helps….I was in your shoes not to long ago. Enjoy your last months in SF.
          Pretty good advice if you don't have your heart set on coming back to MI. Lots of other places in the US are just dying for cops, but MI is not one of them. I would not suspect you will have much problem getting a job with your background and education, but you will have to pay for your own Academy and probably not get to decide which department you work for (you will probably just end up happy to have a job). Whereas in other places you might be able to pick where you go and have them pay for your Academy and pay YOU while attending.

Good luck man, and let us know what you end up doing.
          I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
          -Mark Twain

DSAM-MI.org - website of the Deputy Sheriff's Association of Michigan

Comment

So far I have been looking into the state of Indiana, Illinois, and the east side of Michigan. I want to thank you all for the guidance and assistance. I will keep you all posted as to what I find out.

Comment

Dearborn sent 6 through my academy, I just graduated from Schoolcraft's Academy on November 17th, 2006... if thats any help at all...

Comment

come to texas

come to dallas texas.........we put you on the payroll and send you to our academy...

Comment

I see Dearborn sends some people through an academy does anyone know of any other departments that does this? I know budgets are tight right now but I was just curious to keep my options open. I do not mind big cities either, just anything to get my feet wet. Thanks.

Comment

Stay in MO and apply for the Missouri Highway Patrol or Kansas City PD.

They will pay for your academy and you can use your GI Bill to get extra money while you are in the academy.....

Comment

Go Federal. We were putting people through the academy in Detroit, but with all the cuts there are rumors that you'll have to pay your own way, but nothing set in stone yet, And the good mayor Kwama said he's hiring 200 officers, get in while u can.
                      Check out my blog, Its about life as a Detroit COP. WWW.bigcuv.blogspot.com It's daily true stories i encounter.

Comment

Does anyone have any contact information for Detroit. I can't find any on their website. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Noffke03
                          Does anyone have any contact information for Detroit. I can't find any on their website. Thanks again.
                          Hate to tell you this, but it was reported in the media a while back that Detroit was laying off Officers.....same with MI State Police.....

Comment

Even though King Kwamee said they are hireing 200 officers there is still no plans to reopen recruiting yet.

If they count the 30 laid off officers in the academy now they are only going to hire 170 or less.

Detroit Po's will also pay 20% medical and no raise for 2 years then it's only 11% over 5 years. There are also around 800 new officers now eligible to retire with the new 20 and out contract so we will see what happens.

If you herd the state of the city KK said "hire 200 over the next 12 months" He never said on the streets in 12 months the academy is 6 months and most applications take from 4 to 12 months to process. I doubt they will take applications before may or june.

Comment

Originally posted by Noffke03
                              Lt. Candance Kailimai
                              DPD Recruiting Unit
                              313-596-2670

And for those saying leave MI because the job market is so bad, I would say this: If you aren't a DISTINGUISHED individual with the ability to easily show that you different from the rest, then YES leave.

oh and I'm proof you can get a JOB in MI with no academy experience on my first try as i just received a COE from a MI Dept.
                              Last edited by star25what; 03-18-2007, 06:05 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6434 users online. 338 members and 6096 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X