• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 122nd MSP Trooper Class Graduates

LINK: http://www.wlns.com/Global/story.asp?S=14642823

122nd MSP Trooper Class Graduates

Posted: May 13, 2011 4:41 PM EDT

Michigan has 35 new State Troopers. Friday the 122nd class of the Trooper Recruit School graduated at the Lansing Center.

Because of the state's tight budget in recent years Friday's class is the first class to join the ranks since 2008. Among them, a pair of brothers from Dansville.

Jonathon Schwalm is one of the newest members of the MSP. He is among the select group who endured months of intense training, and along side him is his very own brother, Benjamin.

"Words can't describe. It's something that we've worked so hard for, we put so much time into. There really aren't words to describe the feeling that we're all feeling right now," said Trooper Benjamin Schwalm, Michigan State Police.

"I've always wanted to be a police officer and our oldest brother became a trooper 12 years ago and it's something that we wanted to do since, and just elated," said Jonathon Schwalm, Michigan State Police.

"Its astounding. Really. It's a wonderful thing to have one Trooper, and now have three. Humbling too," said Robert Schwalm Sr., father.

"These two that just graduated were in the Marines and were deployed to Iraq during some of the toughest times over there and the toughest losses," said Mary Schwalm, mother.

As older brother, and veteran Trooper Robert Schwalm pins a badge on his younger brother, their mother began to tear up and said she can't express her pride in words.

"I don't think it's sunk in yet. I'm just, it's awesome," said Mary.

"They put their lives on the line, each time they wear their uniforms," said Robert Schwalm Sr.

Three uniforms, one family, two brothers all following another into the ranks of Michigan's hometown heroes. The troopers who graduated Friday, were selected from more than 800 applicants.

State Police say they made a special effort to recruit military veterans and certified police officers who were unemployed.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5621 users online. 308 members and 5313 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X