300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMPCO police consortium testing in Michigan

Anyone on here taken this test and if so do the participating departments actually recruit from the eligibility list? I just moved back to MI earlier this year and passsed my MCOLES Recognition of Prior Training and Experience...but I have never heard of EMPCO until I stumbled upon their website after a recent google search. My concern is the legitimacy of EMPCO. If they are widely used, I guess this would explain why I have not seen hardly any Michigan PD's (especially Metro Detroit burb PD's) conducting entry level testing since I have been back.

I have a friend who was hired by St. Clair Shores through EMPCO - however, that was BEFORE the economic collapse...not sure how many departments are actually hiring now...most are actually stagnant or laying off...might want to contact the individual agencies listed by EMPCO before you waste your time and money...
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Yea it makes sense. I am sure most, if not all, MI departments are not hiring based upon the economic downturn and the expected state budget cuts at the end of this year. The only thing which will save departments from laying off is passing local mileages by the fall. I'll probably take the test soon just to be on the list. But I think a trip to an out of state PD is in order in the near future. Considering Baltimore, Atlanta, and Memphis.

Comment

I took the EMPCO test. Know a good number who have also taken it. IMO, and others, it is the worst test we have taken for agency hiring. The interview portion is useful, but don't expect the actual testing to test any of your LE knowledge or skill.

And the reason you have not seen the suburbs doing any testing is because there is very little money for PD's to do any sort of hiring. Most are laying off and not replacing those that retire.
        This show is awesome, wrapped in supercool and smothered in bitchin. The only way it could be cooler is if he was riding a unicorn or something.

M-11

Comment

Most written tests you take don't have jack to do with LE knowledge or skill. Most of them are general knowledge tests and that's all. Of all the tests I took while looking for work Midland PD was probably the most LE related.
          This LEO is now: gottajob

Comment

I have taken the written portion, it is general knowledge and psych, some departments require 80 to pass others higher. It does open the door to allot of departments in MI. However, with the way things are going it does not matter.

Comment

To make a long story short EMPCO works sometime. About 3 years ago I was ranked #2 out of 105 people. 6 months went by and I finally got a call from a Department that uses EMPCO for their hiring. During a Brief interview with the said Department the Lt. was curious if I was called by any other department from EMPCO list, I had stated no and the Lt. found that odd since 10 other applicants where contacted and hired by other departments on the list. Now the way that EMPCO is supposed to work is to call the highest ranked applicant that is available on the list, so taking and paying for this process won't guarantee you a call from departments based on your ranking after the written test and interview.

Comment

It is my understanding that EMPCO works this way: EMPCO throws a test and develops a list. A participating department requests a certain number applications (let's say 6) and is given the top 6. A second department then wants to hire and requests a certain number of applications (let's say 10) and is given 7 through 17 because the previous department is still conducting backgrounds on the top 6 applications. Once the 1st department hires, it returns the non-hired applications who return to their respective positions. A third department requests applications and EMPCO starts back at the top and give the requested number of applications to that department.

I know it sounds confusing, but seems like a lot of wasted department time.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaver View Post
                  I know it sounds confusing, but seems like a lot of wasted department time.
                  A lot less wasted time / money from the department's standpoint as they don't have to put the testing on themselves. I thought there was a way they could ask EMPCO to weigh certain elements of the test higher than others, thus changing who is ranked up top.
                  This LEO is now: gottajob

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5093 users online. 313 members and 4780 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X