Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRCC 2012 Police Academy

Hi,

I was just curious if there is anyone on here that plans on applying for the Grand Rapids Community College Police Academy when it becomes available?

I haven't seen anything new recently posted on their site. There should be a meeting to attend coming up in the next month or two.

Save your money and apply out of state where they pay you to attend the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Bill View Post
      Save your money and apply out of state where they pay you to attend the academy.
      As bad as it sounds I'd like to stay in Michigan. I'll keep trying and trying and trying to get a job here before I consider moving. Out of state just isn't appealing to me.

Comment

Well you are going to join the ranks of thousands that are in the same boat as you. Putting yourself through an academy here is going to be a big waste of your time and money. MCOLES shouldn't even be allowing anyone to put on an academey due to the poor economy and lack of jobs. I know none of this is what you probably want to hear, but it's reality. Also jobs are drying up out of state as well, but your chances of finding a cop job down south or out west is 1000 times better than here. You will regret putting yourself through an academy here.
        Last edited by Curly Bill; 03-12-2011, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Bill View Post
          Well you are going to join the ranks of thousands that are in the same boat as you. Putting yourself through an academy here is going to be a big waste of your time and money. MCOLES shouldn't even be allowing anyone to put on an academey due to the poor economy and lack of jobs. I know none of this is what you probably want to hear, but it's reality. Also jobs are drying up out of state as well, but your chances of finding a cop job down south or out west is 1000 times better than here. You will regret putting yourself through an academy here.
          I understand where you're coming from and I appreciate your feedback. It makes sense to look outside of Michigan for a job. If my journey leads me to dissappointment and wasted money, I'll have to just deal with that when it comes.

Until then I'll remain positive and hopeful just like my 1000+ competitors. You never know what could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by H00PDIE View Post
            I understand where you're coming from and I appreciate your feedback. It makes sense to look outside of Michigan for a job. If my journey leads me to dissappointment and wasted money, I'll have to just deal with that when it comes.

Until then I'll remain positive and hopeful just like my 1000+ competitors. You never know what could happen.
            I admire your home state loyalty but I agree....better to look out of state for now. Next to getting squeezed in at DPD or making MSP your chances of getting hired in MI after the academy is very, very slim.

LOOK OUT OF STATE!!!!! Anywhere in Texas is the best place right now. Atlanta, GA and Baltimore, MD are other specific PD's who are doing a lot of hiring right now. Keep in mind if you get hired out of state you can work there for a few years and then come back to MI if the job market approves. MI is very good when it comes to out of state lateral transfers.

Best of luck...

Comment

If anyone one has more out of state advice that would be appreciated. I have been applying to pretty much anything out of state for the past four months. I have had little to no luck. The one one interview I did go on I didn't do to well.

Thanks!

Comment

Apply to agencies in southern states (texas, louisiana, etc) or out west (colorado, new mexico, etc)...depends on where you would prefer to live.

Comment

Govermentsjob.com Create one application and add extras. You can us this to apply for most listed jobs in about 20 minutes. Once you create your application just use the search to find a job and click apply. The fill out the supplemental questions and wait. There are alot of jobs listed.
                  "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue." -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Yeah, I hate to say it partner but you're gonna be in a world of hurt once you graduate. Unless you know someone you're gonna be really depressed after graduation. I started out as a reserve officer and my chief told me he'd give me a part time temporary gig after graduation just to get my license activated helping my chances of getting hired elsewhere. Before coming out of the academy I was reserving for 2 years was awarded with Reserve of the Year, was a corrections officer for a Sheriff Dept, did juvenile corrections, and also worked as a part-paid firefighter. This allowed me to land a part-time gig in another small town that didn't last long and so I ended up working security at a college for a while and applied to *every single department* in the state of Michigan. I ended up getting 2 full-time job interviews, and a seasonal part-time job interview. Was offered the seasonal part time gig and the full time gig, so I took the full time job.

So to break it down I have a college degree, top of my class in my fire academy and police academy, have over 20 certificates from FEMA, Hazmat Awareness + Operations, Radar, PBT, SFST, Suicide and Terrorist Bomb Awareness Training from New Mexico Tech, SDI Certified Scuba Diver, Active Shooter QUAD Training, Reserve Police Officer of the Year Award, Outstanding Engine Company Award in the Fire Academy, Perfect Attendance through all 4 years of high school, and experience working the road as a certified officer (part-time) for 2 city police departments, Corrections Officer for a Sheriff Dept, Juvenile Detention Officer and part-paid Firefighter..... I sent a resume and cover letter to 340+ departments and ended up getting 3 interviews with 2 offers.

I would say roughly around 1k people put themselves through a Michigan academy every year. That's 1,000 people that have 1 year to get a job (before they have to re-test) that are competing against at least another 500+ that re-tested to make themselves re-certifiable cause they didn't get jobs the 1st time around. Not to mention the abundance of officers that have been working part-time police jobs for "years" applying for full time gigs and the 100's of laid off officers with years of experience begging for just a part-time gig. With almost zip, zero, zilch openings!

Save your money and apply out of state....
                    "Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there"
                    -Bottom of a White Castle Cheesebuger Box-

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck.....it's probably a duck!

It is what it is!

Comment

It can be done, but be prepared for an uphill climb. I was told the same thing five years ago, and ended up landing a full time job 6 months into looking. Decided that department just wasn't for me, and got a different full time job in the same year where I'm living happily ever after. It can be done, but there's no doubt it's a tough row to hough.
                      Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

Had my first meeting. Definitely exspensive. I thought that it had to be paid for out of pocket without student loan assistance, that is kind of a relief that I can borrow for the classes if excepted. The material looks really interesting. I'm looking forward to starting the process.

Comment

Originally posted by H00PDIE View Post
                          Had my first meeting. Definitely exspensive. I thought that it had to be paid for out of pocket without student loan assistance, that is kind of a relief that I can borrow for the classes if excepted. The material looks really interesting. I'm looking forward to starting the process.
                          I am planning on staying in Michigan too and going to an academy in July. Try your best to ignore all of the negativity that is out there. It might be tough for now but things will turn around. Good luck to you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6366 users online. 364 members and 6002 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X