300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick MI question

Hi everybody, I live in Virginia and was wondering what chance you have of getting hired on by a MI department if you sponsor yourself through the police academy. Do guys that do this actually find jobs? Cause all I hear is bad stuff about MI economy and police job availibility. Thanks.

Not impossible but very difficult.

I know of academy graduates that are without a job. Part of it may be inadequate interview skills or "red flags". Other part of it is few jobs and lots of certified/certifiable applicants.

The job openings that do come up have competition from already certified laid off officers coming from the State Police, Grand Rapids PD, Flint PD etc.....who gets the job, a new academy graduate or someone who has been there done and that.....

Not to sound discouraging, but there are so many factors at play for filling a limited number of jobs.

Comment

I would suggest taking advantage of the plethora of law enforcement job opportunities available to you in Virginia. The current job market in Michigan is rough. I don't know your background, but the competition is very tough for the limited full-time and even part-time positions that do open up here. Currently Michigan is producing more candidates than jobs available.

If you're young enough and aren't worried about retirement benefits, health benefits, career advancement opportunities, etc. then you might be able to get on with an agency for a few years in order to gain some experience before trying to lateral over to a more long-term, career oriented agency.

I sponsored myself through the academy several years back, after getting out of the military and I was fortunate enough to land a job within 6 months of graduation. However, many of my classmates never secured full-time employment, and several others went out-of-state.

Coming to Michigan, spending $5,000+ to sponsor yourself through an academy, with no guarantee of employment is a huge gamble. And it's one that I'm not sure that it's worth taking right now.

Comment

Yeah, thats what I figured. I just thought I would ask becuase I have alot of family in the Kalamazoo area and it would be pretty easy for me to live there and get certified. Thanks though.

Comment

Yeah, thats what I figured. I just thought I would ask becuase I have alot of family in the Kalamazoo area and it would be pretty easy for me to live there and get certified. Thanks though.

Comment

><>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            Last edited by _GLOCK_; 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by _GLOCK_ View Post
              Thirty-eight graduated, three employed, been seven months since graduation... I am almost there, but not employed yet. Two employed out of state, on in Virginia, the other in Kentucky
              The ones that were employed of state, did they accept them as a lateral? Even though they never had real on the job experience?

Comment

...Not impossible but very difficult...
                Ditto.

Definitely not worth the risk to leave VA and come to MI, sponsor yourself through an academy, and hope that you are able to land a sworn position during our current economic climate in MI.

You'd probably have better odds at winning the Mega Millions lottery, no offense...
                Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

3 words; take home car.

Almost everyone along the east coast from Maryland south has take home cars. Many of them from the day you start at the academy (wouldn't that be nice?).

In Michigan, LEOs haven't seen take home cars in years.

Do yourself a favor, stay in VA.

Comment

Originally posted by jigsaw457 View Post
                    The ones that were employed of state, did they accept them as a lateral? Even though they never had real on the job experience?

NO!!! they had to do through the academy again. The only state that I know of that will accept MCOLES standards is New Mexico. All others have to go through the academy again.

Comment

There are lots of states that will accept your lateral "IF" you have a few years of FT police experience. Being MCOLES certifiable is not a lateral. You will have to attend the academy.

I have been looking around the country at lateral jobs and find this to be true at agencies that do laterals. Good luck.
                      "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue." -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Once you are MCOLES "certified" and have a few years experience, you can lateral to almost any state. Believe it or not, MCOLES actually has some of the highest basic police training standards in the country in regards to curriculum and number of minimum hours required in an academy. That's why you see so many out-of-state agencies coming to Michigan in order to recruit new candidates.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9544 users online. 383 members and 9161 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                        X