300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Option?

I'm working for Springport PD, but its just not enough hours and the pay is pretty low. Is the age limit for the Army still 42? I made it thru Academy at 39, it shouldn't be that much harder in the military. Maybe I should consider the Guard? I'm mid-way thru 42 right now. I've seen people say the limit is 42.

It doesn't answer your question, but this is a pretty interesting article.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/64677772.html
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

Comment

I read that. That's what got me thinking of the Military again. I was going to enlist right after Academy, but got wrapped up in trying to get my first Police job. I'm not sure if this is the best idea for me. Right now, I'm just assessing options.

Comment

It would matter what MOS you went into as to the toughness etc f the job. Even in good shape a Airborne/Ranger contract might be out of reach. I went thru basic infantry basic/AIT at 17 and it was not a real physical challenge due to my age. There was a guy in his 40 and in pretty good shape. He name changede to Ben (as in Ben Gay) while we were there. If you have even the slightest medical issue it will be worse there (Bad knee etc).

There are other jobs that have a much easier time and are more mental. I would recommend the Air Force or Coast Guard for your age bracket. It of course would be based on your GT score. See what jobs you like etc.

Are you talking active or guard? You might get deployed to Iraq or Afganistan and as a private you will not be making much for what you are doing.

Good luck and I hope it works out.
        "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue." -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

All I know is the pay in the military is not much, but when you consider, I had a condo, gas, electric, all for free, two-grand a month is alot. All I paid for was my truck & insurance, phone and cable. The rest was mine to do with what I wanted, in addtion, my wife worked and brought in another grand, we were doing good!!! Better than I am now!!!!

Comment

I'm thinking I'm too old anyway. But, I'm going to talk to a recruiter tomorrow. I'm thinking Reserve or Guard at this point. I have 2 Associates' Degrees, so I hope that I get higher than Private after basic. When I checked before, the recruiter talked like I'd bump to E4 with my schooling and experience. As for jobs, I'd like either MP or EMS, since I have experience and training in both.

Comment

All I can say is get a signing bonus, and have it in your contract with a copy for yourself. When I joined I went in and said sign me up for infantry. Later after School of Infantry I come to find out guys were getting 10,000 bonus just for going infantry.

All I can say is research and get all the bonuses and college tution payments you can.

Comment

Well, I was right. the recruiter siad I'm above the age limit for entry. Physically, he thought I'd do just fine. That's ok, I may have some jobs lined up anyway.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5900 users online. 321 members and 5579 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X