300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any departments hiring?

I know this is probably a "dumb" question, due to the state of our economy especially in MI, but are there any departments that anyone knows of that are hiring anywhere in MI, preferably in the Grand Rapids area. I will be finishing college in about a year so I need to start looking where, if any departments are hiring. Thanks for the help in advance.

There's a Job Fair coming up next week in Kalamazoo at the fairgrounds. I hear Battle Creek PD and K-zoo PS will be there.

Comment

Kent County Sheriff Department has openings. You can also check out mcoles.org and michiganpolicechiefs.org for job postings.
      Last edited by WestMI; 10-13-2009, 12:15 PM. Reason: add

Comment

I know I saw GRPD was hiring not too long ago. Kinda ****ed me off, I came all the way down here because they weren't!
        "Rollin and Patrollin the Wild Wild West of Bham"

Comment

What they advertise and say, and what these depts actually do are two different things. I'd be surprised to see any significant hiring. You also might have laid off troopers to compete with. Good luck.

Comment

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            Last edited by _GLOCK_; 06-01-2012, 12:04 PM.

Comment

The job fair is tomorrow in Kalamazoo, at the Fairgrounds. They probably won't be doing any hiring, but you can still test with Battle Creek.

Comment

I drove 100 miles one way to keep my cert active when I came back from overseas in 2002. There are PT jobs out there at smaller agencies. You just need to go find them.
                "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue." -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

1*** is right. I started out in the early 80's. I seemed as though our economy was forever damaged, and nothing would get better. It will. Find a decent small part time dept.. Then be liked! Don't forget that some of these small town chiefs don't lose much sleep over following the letter of the law, or being partial to connected or wealthy residents.

Be mindful that no part time job is better than a part time job with a poor or lukewarm reference. I'd also recommend getting your basic EMT while ya have the time. It sets you apart, shows effort, and isn't terribly hard or expensive.

Pick your part time dept./chief carefully. But those opportunities are out there.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, I am having a feeling that I might have to go out of state unfortunately. I was thinking of doing the EMT too, but I was trying to weigh my options with everything else first before I jumped into that. I just hope that I can get something soon after graduation so that I can start to pay off student loans.

Comment

If you are just graduating college, apply out of state. Agencies out west PAY YOU to go to the police academy vs paying your way here. Plus you are not going to stand a chance applying for a job here when you have to compete with canidates that have police experience under their belt. I worked out west for a top notch agency for 4 years before I came back to Michigan. I was able to get a job here b/c of my experience. I would of stayed west if it wasn't for all of my family living here. Also consider, if you do get hired, you are the 1st to get laid off. Police jobs are more secure elsewhere. You can always come back after a couple years when the economy bounces back (if it ever does here). Just hope you don't own a home in Michigan.

Comment

I wouldn't mind going out west Oregon, and California appeal to me, but the cost of living is very high out there. When you say out west do you mean WY and the Dakotas? The thing that I was worried about applying out of state was having to travel back and forth to do the different tests and interviews, I don't think that I could afford to do that 3 or 4 times ( I am a poor college student after all lol) that is a concern for me though any advice with that process would be helpfully.

Comment

I worked in Colorado and I had to fly out there a couple times on my own dime when I was in college. I ended up putting my travel expenses on a credit card and paid if off once I got employed. Where the cost of living is high, you get paid more. Where it's low, you get paid less. Where ever you go, you will make enough to live comfortably. I would suggest picking the climate or area you want to live in and apply to agencies around there. Colorado, Arizona, and Texas all have good economies and there are always agencies hiring there. I don't know how Oregon is doing. I suggest checking out some of their PD's websites and some of the online newspapers out there to get an idea if anyone is hiring and how the economy is doing.
                          Last edited by Curly Bill; 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Also, check out the big city PD’s along with the suburban agencies around them. They’ll have the best training and equipment.
                            Last edited by Curly Bill; 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the information this is really helpful. Colorado would be a good state for me, I enjoy the snow and the mountains are a plus. How did you like it out there? I am not too picky I can adapt anywhere I suppose. Everything is just starting to get really close so I am getting nervous about not finding a job. Hopefully I can get everything going smoothly. Thanks for all the information again. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4470 users online. 300 members and 4170 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X