300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan in Death Rattle

I've heard from a lot of people that Michigan is in the "death rattle". We are one step away from bankruptsy and lots of people are abandoning the ship. I admit I'm looking out of state as well, but I wonder how many are holding out for Michigan to improve? I've seen a lot of Uhaul trucks heading south lately. I think I heard like 3000 people per month are leaving the state.
    I just got my statement from the Unemployment office, and the amount they're giving me won't even cover my rent payment. Are they joking? If I don't find something soon, I may be one of the homeless guys living under the bridge.

I too have been layed off since last January. Once my employer (non LE) found out my status for different agencies I applied to, It was down hill from there. So much for being honest. Thought I might be ok since I was supposed to start DPD's academy last November, but that didn't pan out. It is scary.. Just tryin to hold out. I know if I give up my house and jump ship I will never be able to get into LE. Plus my entire family is from around here. I would have to say try and take some advantage of the situation. Check out the No Worker Left Behind and try to pursue even more education in Criminal Justice etc. I am going to school and since joined an auxiliary police department. Just trying to make myself as marketable in the future as possible. I feel your pain and just try and stick with it. Good luck to you and all in the same boat. This should only make us stronger..

Comment

Apply out of state. I myself am from Garden City. I decided to apply out of state and was hired with in 5 months at New Orleans PD. I had to sign a contract but with in the 3 years I am hoping MI will be turned around to move back and it will be a latteral so it should not be as hard as a person w/ out experiance. The longer people wait the more other jobs from differant states will fill up and you will be even farther behind. Just always think you can come back. I had to uproot my family of 5 just to do this. Like the other post said unemployment just dont cut it. Now I am making good money, benifits and retirement. I am 30 and just waiting for MI to improve I would be 40 and still trying to become a police officer.

Comment

Michigan from my understanding has been really hurt by the economy since 2001. From talking to some guys I know who work federally, the amount of applications at my former work place has risen 3 fold. I hate to say this but if you can get out of Michigan, then do it. Dont waste time going through MCOLES cause you dont know if you'll have a job by the time your done.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I've had more interviews in Tennessee than I have in Michigan. I've been checking out Tenn, GA, IN, NC, SC and WY. At this point, I'm just evaluating all my options.

Comment

What is frustrating is how these academies are making money off people who are trying to push that you have a 90%+ chance of getting hired after you graduate. Not to mention I couldn't believe the tuition costs since I went through. All these folks are going into the academy blinded by false hope and bad information and it's over filling the system of already qualified applicants. I now work for two agencies, one full time and another part time gig. These small departments won't even touch new guys because the costs associated. They rather hire guys like me who have a few years or more on and can just jump in a car and get the job done. I know guys that work three/four part time jobs just to survive. They are good officers but they just can't find a department full time.

Comment

Thats the truth right their.

Comment

I tell everyone down here at my department how bad MI is in shambles. Its hard to think that just 3 years ago this state was thriving. And now bam how bad off it is. It really stinks I wanted so bad to be a police officer in MI and now I do not see that happening anytime time soon. And with more and more people comming out of college it will be very very diffacult to get a job. Thank god I will not only have a degree but I will also have some time on another department. So hopefully that will put me 1 leg up on other applicants. But hell I cant complain where I am at the benifits for retirement are outstanding. 100% after 30 thats pretty good and w/ the south's ost o living its unbeatable. I guess if you want it that bad you just have to look outside of your home state just to get a job now a days.

Comment

Yep, the colleges and academy's just want to make money from student attendence. They don't care what happens after they graduate. Just sad. I spent almost $7000 getting my Associates Degree and being MCOLES eligible. Add to that all the miles I've driven, gas I've used and time.
                  At this rate, I'll never get to retire, because I won't be able to get 25-30 years in. And that's if I can find a dept with benefits. I'm being looked at by a dept that has no retirement, no insurance, low pay and I have to supply all my own equipment and pay for the uniforms.

Comment

Another interesting fact is that Criminal Justice is a high demand occupation in Michigan according to the No Worker Left Behind program. Makes ya wonder..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6493 users online. 359 members and 6134 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X