300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schoolcraft

Does anyone have an idea of the hire rate for certifiable officers out of Schoolcraft Police Academy? I plan on attending in January 2009.
    Last edited by _GLOCK_; 08-09-2008, 08:00 PM.

I can't say that there are any known figures published on the rate of higher for graduates of the Wayne County Regional Police Academy. However, sometimes individual academies keep tabs on former recruits and track who's be hired and who hasn't.

Basically, I don't believe police administrators really have a huge preference in graduates from one academy over the next. They are only concerned that you've graduated the academy and are now MCOLES certifiable. If one agency has more graduates from say Schoolcraft than Oakland for example, it is most likely just a coincidence.

Every academy is required to teach the 540+ hours of MCOLES required material while a few others may tack on additional hours for various things. All in all, I can't say one academy is better than the next.

Comment

I just do not want to complete the academy and not be hired onto a force. I have heard horror stories of people never getting hired. However, my goal is to be in the top 5% of the class therefore reducing that chance. I imagine that police departments will employ the top performers first.

Comment

While being a top performer in the academy is never a bad thing, it isn't a sure-fire guarantee that you will land a job. Once you complete the academy, getting hired is all dependent on you and the agency you apply for.

Nearly every agency out there has some type of formal hiring process that you will have to go through. Meaning, you will have to take a written test, oral board interview, sometimes a physical agility test, a background investigation, a psychological exam and a medical exam. That is when it is really important to score in the top 5% or so of applicants, because they usually only interview a small percentage of those who apply. If you don't score high enough on the departments written exam, you will never even get an interview and thus never get a job regardless of how well you did in the academy.

There are indeed those who never get hired after the academy, but it can be for a myriad of reasons. However, the unfortunate fact is that there are more academy graduates per year in the state than there are job openings. Michigan is very competitive when it comes to a police officer job opening. Departments try to higher the best qualified applicant possible. Each agency has an idea of who they are looking for and who they might feel would fit in with their agency and its mission.

Once you graduate the academy, don't get discouraged if you apply to 4 or 5 departments with no luck. Just keep applying and making yourself more marketable in the meantime. It can be a long, emotional process but eventually it will pay off.

Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks for the advice it is very much appreciated.

Comment

Finding a law enforcement job in michigan sucks. My academy that I graduated from, I think only 10 out of 34 have jobs. I finally landed a job my 8th month out, talk about the last moment. Like MIdeputy said, don't get discouraged, but you need to start applying while your in the academy, I probley have applied for over 30 departments. But I will tell you, look out of state too. The jobs are out their. DC, Houstin, Dallas, NYPD, anything in Arizona, and anyother state out their. I started to apply out of state, but finally landed a job on the east side, and I live on the west side my whole life. Also full time jobs are extremley hard to come by. The test are hard, and like midputy said, you need to score high on the test in order to interview.

Comment

I just do not want to complete the academy and not be hired onto a force
              Then go out of state, where you can be hired then paid to go to an academy, and where police agencies are just dying for qualified applicants.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                Then go out of state, where you can be hired then paid to go to an academy, and where police agencies are just dying for qualified applicants.
                Easier said than done, I donot have the $$$$ to move to another state and setup shop with my wife-and-son. Shoot I work, but I would not even have the money for the 500$$$ plane ticket to even attempt it.

Comment

Then you don't have the money to attend a police academy and be out of work for a long time afterwards because there are hundreds of applicants per job.

That may sound harsh, but if you're looking to pay your own way through an academy in Michigan and then get a job, you're setting yourself up for a lot of frustration and disappointment.

How about somewhere you can drive to? Indianapolis, maybe?

They are looking for a lot of police in the Southwest (Arizona, New Mexico). Tickets can be had for $300 or so. You could save up for that, couldn't ya?

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
                    Then you don't have the money to attend a police academy and be out of work for a long time afterwards because there are hundreds of applicants per job.

That may sound harsh, but if you're looking to pay your own way through an academy in Michigan and then get a job, you're setting yourself up for a lot of frustration and disappointment.

How about somewhere you can drive to? Indianapolis, maybe?

They are looking for a lot of police in the Southwest (Arizona, New Mexico). Tickets can be had for $300 or so. You could save up for that, couldn't ya?
                    As far as paying for the academy I can get student loans. In addition, after the academy I plan going right back to work at my old job until I am picked up with a department. If I do relocate I will still be stuck with a crap mobile home not even worth what I am paying. All it does is make my credit look good every month. If you have a suggestion for maybe moving my wife and son to another state and not jacking up the credit rating I am all ears.
                    Last edited by _GLOCK_; 08-13-2008, 08:59 PM.

Comment

All I'm saying is that the job market is awful. Very awful. Awful beyond belief. If I were you I'd take the money I'd be paying in student loans after the academy and stuff it away and save it to go get hired somewhere else.

Not sure what you mean with the credit rating stuff. If you get hired somewhere out of state you start getting paid right away. Albuquerque, NM, pays $15 / hr to go to their academy. You could move yourself and get a dumpy apartment while you save up for a little bit to move the rest of the family.

I really hope things work out for you in Michigan, but the odds are against you. I'm afraid that going to an academy might be just a waste of time and money in this market. I wouldn't suggest that anybody go to an academy in Michigan right now.

Comment

Sabre is right, the odds are against all of us here in Michigan which is why I am testing in Wisconsin right now. Unfortunatley I made the mistake of starting the academy here in Michigan but it doesn't necessarily look bad when applying to other states. Most states have equivelent Law Enforcement Standards which means that you can still apply with them and meet all of their requirements.

Comment

Be realistic, but don't let others shatter your dreams and goals. I was in the same boat a couple years ago. I didn't have a bite on a job for 6 months, then had departments fighting over me after that! Got hired by one place full time, then left within a year to go to my present department and turned down some other jobs in between. And I don't even have a bachelor's degree.

The point is, listen to advice, then do what you have to do.
                          Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Phlip View Post
                            Be realistic, but don't let others shatter your dreams and goals. I was in the same boat a couple years ago. I didn't have a bite on a job for 6 months, then had departments fighting over me after that! Got hired by one place full time, then left within a year to go to my present department and turned down some other jobs in between. And I don't even have a bachelor's degree.

The point is, listen to advice, then do what you have to do.

Thanks for the encouragement. I do have leads I start my backround with Detroit on December 2nd.

Comment

Trust me, I can relate to your situation. I gave up a good job at a Dr's office, M-F, 8-5, no weekends or holidays to attend Academy. Now I'm working part-time in the Ingham County Parks as an officer barely scraping by. But, if you really love the job, the sacrifice will be worth it in the end. Definately keep your option open about out-of-state. I've gotten lots of E-mail from other states, and I'm now seriously considering some of them. There's even a few that will help with moving expenses or sign-on bonuses.
                              Good luck brother.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6330 users online. 314 members and 6016 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X