300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston PD

I'm interested in the Boston PD. Do they offer any benefits for current out of state cert. officers? I know they don't take laterals.

What's the hiring process like?
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

I don't believe that Boston PD takes laterals, even other officers appointed in Mass have to go through the Boston Academy. They are very tough to get on, and even though they say that they now take applicants from other cities, from what I hear even that is pretty rare. The way that Mass civil service is set up makes it extremely political and for an out of state officer most civil service jobs in mass are hard to come by. If you really want to come to Mass. the best way to do it is to work for a university or a hospital PD until you can get residency then wait for the civil service exam. Hope this helps, I'm not sworn, but this is what I've heard from talking with numerous officers and in my own experience in looking to get hired in mass after I graduate.
    Last edited by krash131; 07-22-2008, 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

You would have a better chance of being struck by lightning. First, in order to get a high as you can in Boston, you must be a resident for at least 1 year prior to taking the Civil Service Exam. Disabled and regular Veterans get preference, and there are also other conditions. After those veterans who are residents are gone through, residents in the order of their score come next. I scored the highest possible on the exam and am not a boston resident and was like two thousand and something on the list and tied with hundreds more. Unless you are a veteran, score a 10, and reside in boston, it is very tough.

Comment

Boston Police Department is a really hard department to get on, but they are going through a hard time with hiring good people. The last class that came out of the academy was all people from out of the city which is rear. There are also many of other ways to get on Boston take the cadet exam and serve 2years as a cadet it almost guarantees you a spot in the academy. Any question just pm me and I will try to answer them

Comment

If they took people from outside the city, that surprises me, because I scored a 10 on the exam, non-veteran and resident and was like in the 2000's. Even out of city vets are ranked pretty low, so they must have gone through a lot of people. There is a recent Boston Herald article that explained they did not meet their recruiting numbers, only because they are looking for certain people, and when I mean certain people, I mean minorities. The latest class was so poor, people could not even run a 1/2 mile and they were thinking it was going to be like CSI. Well, this is police work, you start off low on the totem pole and over time work yourself into specialized units. I would die to work for Boston, but it will likely never happen. Such a shame.

Comment

Hunter617, Love the avatar! ! ! I saw the article also. I"m unsure as to what particular kind of applicant they were looking for because some of the guys from our department took the test for Boston, and they are already police officers and EMT's. I would have taken it and tried for it or the cadet exam if I had the residency. IMO, I don't even think Boston knows what kind of people they are looking for. 2000+ people they have to choose from and they are saying they are having problems.

Comment

double post sorry
              Last edited by Hunter617; 08-02-2008, 11:31 PM. Reason: Its Late and i cant type for s&*#

Comment

Boston is going to have a academy class in DEC which is going to be about 30 people. The class after that is going to be in may which in this class its going o be 9's and cadets(I cant stress enough if you can take a BIG PAY CUT become a cadet). They were hoping to get to the 8's but they don’t think that is going to happen. They did get a lot of people to take the exam but most of those people are not qualified. Now when I say not qualified I mean a lot of people fail the psych, pat, background check and a lot of other things. the last class to graduate a lot I mean a lot of those people where not residents of the city. yeah it does happen the last list they went thought the entire thing. So just hang in there good things come to those who wait.

Comment

BPD has hired NUMEROUS in state laterals over the past couple of years. These laterals DID NOT have to go to a full time BPD academy- they went through an abbreviated classroom only in service training.

Residency is required for the laterals just like it is for recruit classes.

Hunter how do you mean 'pay cut'? A lateral w/a degree makes out pretty good w/the Quinn Bill.
                  Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

i was saying if you are interested in becoming a Police Cadet to better yor chance you will take a pay cut

Comment

The max age for cadet is 24...
                      This next class is still veterans or at least most of them are
                      If you arent a minority or Vet...keep trying because it isnt going to happen anytime soon

Comment

i been trying to get on Boston PD since i was 21, and i am 32 now. i come from a long line of Boston PD and looks like the tree ended with me. I can talk about my civil circus exams, experience, scores, politics, my minority status, and what not but sometimes the phrase "Good things happen to those who wait" doesnt apply to good people. you can sit around and wait. I went to Baltimore PD and i can say i am glad Boston PD didnt hire me. I got 10 years police experience in one year. You want action and adventure, come down here, but be prepared to man up and get use to drawing your glock out too. Baltimore police also has a lot of bad things about them too, as jchughes05 already might of heard, since he is from maryland, but for all those mass guys up in new england that cant get jobs and want to become cops, this is the next option.
                        Last edited by TigerWoody; 08-14-2008, 12:10 AM.
                        "Sometimes there is Justice and sometimes there is Just Us"

Comment

Originally posted by TigerWoody View Post
                          i been trying to get on Boston PD since i was 21, and i am 32 now. i come from a long line of Boston PD and looks like the tree ended with me. I can talk about my civil circus exams, experience, scores, politics, my minority status, and what not but sometimes the phrase "Good things happen to those who wait" doesnt apply to good people. you can sit around and wait. I went to Baltimore PD and i can say i am glad Boston PD didnt hire me. I got 10 years police experience in one year. You want action and adventure, come down here, but be prepared to man up and get use to drawing your glock out too. Baltimore police also has a lot of bad things about them too, as jchughes05 already might of heard, since he is from maryland, but for all those mass guys up in new england that cant get jobs and want to become cops, this is the next option.
                          I wanted to be a Boston police officer or a Massachusetts State Trooper when I got out of the Marines.I worked in state corrections in Mass. for several years and was miserable.In Mass. it is extremely difficult to become to become a police officer,not because of high standards,but because of residency requirements,politics, and a host of other reasons.I ended up leaving Massachusetts to become a Las Vegas Metro police officer and I couldn't be any happier.I've never looked back.

Semper Fi,

Comment

It's amazing that it is so difficult to get on the job in MA, and just across the boarder in NH, we have more opening then we can fill. There is no civil service, and you dont need to know someone on the force. If you only want to work in a large city, I guess Baltimore or Vegas is great, but there are plenty of great jobs in NH that are waiting for good people. Just throwing it out there...
                            Live freeze and die

Comment

Originally posted by emsflyer21 View Post
                              It's amazing that it is so difficult to get on the job in MA, and just across the boarder in NH, we have more opening then we can fill. There is no civil service, and you dont need to know someone on the force. If you only want to work in a large city, I guess Baltimore or Vegas is great, but there are plenty of great jobs in NH that are waiting for good people. Just throwing it out there...
                              What cities and towns are hiring in NH? I could look it up but I'm being lazy
                              "When people show you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5744 users online. 331 members and 5413 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X