X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrm602
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2008

MASS Deputy Sheriff

Does anyone know what the difference in training is for a deputy Sheriff in Massachusetts compared to going through the Basic Reserve Intermittent Academy? As a Sheriff's Deputy what jobs could you have outside The Wall?
  • 86cursed
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2007

Figured I would post this here as well
    Deputy Sheriffs in Mass. are not similar to other states. They are primarily in charge of courtroom security, transporting prisoners, and corrections work. The reserve academy is totally different; you need a department to sponsor you through it. Try searching on www.masscops.com under the forums and you will find a bunch of answers.

Comment

• Sgt Jack
      BOS to SRQ to BOS
      • Sep 2003

What 86 said is correct...however deputies do not provide court security as that is the job of Mass Trial Court Officers (another job requiring heavy political connections) ...As far as training goes..Most SO's run their own academy's and I think the length varies depending on the department and many will send deputies to the Reserve Academy in addition to their other training....As far as getting a job outside the wall...they do have positions as far a serving papers/civil process etc...and some do have warrant/gang units that work with local pd's however getting to one of these positions I would guess would be highly competitive...also keep in mind that some pd's don't take kindly to the Sheriff attempting anything that resembles traditional police work
      "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

• Delta784
        Battering Ram of Justice
        • Aug 2004

Sheriffs departments in Massachusetts are tasked solely with the care, custody, and transport of inmates either awaiting trial or sentenced to 2.5 years or less in the house of correction.

They have NO law enforcement function, in spite of some opportunistic politicians who take advantage of archaic state laws which grant sheriffs arrest powers, along with city marshals, constables, and other ancient, obsolete offices.

If sheriffs in MA concentrate on doing their job (corrections) they have the respect of police officers. When they try to play police, that's when the problems start.
        Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

• krash131
          Alpha-Charlie Everything!
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Delta784
          Sheriffs departments in Massachusetts are tasked solely with the care, custody, and transport of inmates either awaiting trial or sentenced to 2.5 years or less in the house of correction.

They have NO law enforcement function, in spite of some opportunistic politicians who take advantage of archaic state laws which grant sheriffs arrest powers, along with city marshals, constables, and other ancient, obsolete offices.

If sheriffs in MA concentrate on doing their job (corrections) they have the respect of police officers. When they try to play police, that's when the problems start.

Is it like that in Suffolk county? Our UPO's are deputy sheriffs as well which allows them to take enforcement action in the area around our campus. However all of them either attended a municipal academy or the SSPO academy.

Comment

• Delta784
            Battering Ram of Justice
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by krash131
            Is it like that in Suffolk county? Our UPO's are deputy sheriffs as well which allows them to take enforcement action in the area around our campus. However all of them either attended a municipal academy or the SSPO academy.
            Campus police officers are just that.....police officers. They're not employees of the sheriff's department, but police officers who happen to also hold commissions as deputy sheriffs.

My comments were directed to the sheriff's departments themselves.

Comment

• krash131
              Alpha-Charlie Everything!
              • Jan 2008

Campus police officers are just that.....police officers. They're not employees of the sheriff's department, but police officers who happen to also hold commissions as deputy sheriffs.

My comments were directed to the sheriff's departments themselves.
              The whole system just seems so bloody redundant if you ask me?

Comment

• AvalancheZ71
                Give me all you got!
                • Jun 2006

I would assume that this attitude would stem from the fact that MA does not have traditional unicorporated areas and the state is seperated into towns and cities. Would it not also be that historically the Constable provided the policing in MA whilst the Sheriff was the jailer and paper server?
                That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

• Delta784
                  Battering Ram of Justice
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by AvalancheZ71
                  I would assume that this attitude would stem from the fact that MA does not have traditional unicorporated areas and the state is seperated into towns and cities. Would it not also be that historically the Constable provided the policing in MA whilst the Sheriff was the jailer and paper server?
                  Correct....there's not a single square inch of Massachusetts that isn't part of a city or town. Most of the 351 cities and towns have their own police departments, the tiniest towns who don't rely on the state police.

Constables used to be the law enforcement back in the 1600's and 1700's, and while their use in that role disappeared by the 1800's they still have broad law enforcement authority on paper. As a matter of fact, the law which gives city & town police in Massachusetts states "(police) shall have all the powers and duties of constables, except serving civil process";

Now constables stick to serving civil process, capias, enforcing deadbeat dad statutes, etc.

Comment

• Deuce
                    Forum Member
                    • Jul 2003

Delta, you sir are a beacon of light and a wealth of knowledge. A paragon of reputation in fact, if I may be so bold...
                    surly?? screw you....

Comment

• Delta784
                      Battering Ram of Justice
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Deuce
                      Delta, you sir are a beacon of light and a wealth of knowledge. A paragon of reputation in fact, if I may be so bold...
                      Your effusive encomium both humbles and gratifies me, my good man.

Comment

• Marine_Infantry
                        Forum Member
                        • Jul 2003

Delta is the Massachusetts law enforcement expert on this site.For more info on Massachusetts law enforcement subjects go to Masscops.com.There is a weatlh of information.The site is run by a friend of mine,who is a police officer and computer crimes expert in MA.

Comment

• Deuce
                          Forum Member
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Marine_Infantry
                          Delta is the Massachusetts law enforcement expert on this site.For more info on Massachusetts law enforcement subjects go to Masscops.com.There is a weatlh of information.The site is run by a friend of mine,who is a police officer and computer crimes expert in MA.

Umm, yaa thanks I think I've heard a thing or two from Delta on Masscops...
                          surly?? screw you....

Comment

• Deuce
                            Forum Member
                            • Jul 2003

Your effusive encomium both humbles and gratifies me, my good man.
                            Nonsense sir, enough praise can not be bestowed upon such erudition...
                            surly?? screw you....

Comment

• jcallen12003
                              Forum Member
                              • Jul 2005

The duties of the Sheriff here in Virginia are much broader than that in the northeast. Deputies here patrol the unincorporated areas of the county, civil process of papers, staff the jails and conduct investigations. In Georgia, you have a county police department that's in and around the metro area of Atlanta, in this instance, the Sheriff is the chief jailer and process server.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 34765 users online. 30 members and 34735 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...