Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Vacation

MA LEOs,

Im traveling to MA in a couple months for a family vacation. I've been trying to research MA gun-laws for non-resident police officers. One site I found, goal.org, stated in reference to your Section 131G:

Police Exemption: Off –duty nonresident police officers are considered to have a permit in another state in compliance with the requirements of this section for an exempted person to have a permit in his own state, ONLY for the purpose listed in this section (i.e. competition, hunting, collecting). This exemption does not allow such officers to carry for personal protection. An exemption for nonresident officers in Massachusetts may carry if doing so in the performance of their duty under Chapter 41, section 98.

However, federal law (HR 218 - now called something else?) states, as a qualified police officer, I am exempt from state or local prohibitions on carrying a concealed weapon. However, I do not know to what degree.

So, long story short, can I carry (glock 19) concealed in MA while on vacation with my department issued photo ID? ISIS is out and about you know, cant be too careful...

Thanks.

Per the federal statute I don't see any issues.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Comment

How was your vacation?
      It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Comment

Haven't gone yet...

Comment

HR218 overrides all local restrictions except magazine capacity laws. Get some 10 rounders for your Glock before you go.

Unlike the rest of the state, most Mass cops are very pro-gun and wouldn't be looking for any reason to pinch a fellow officer anyway, so if you follow the HR218 guidelines, you shouldn't have a problem.
          "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
          -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
            HR218 overrides all local restrictions except magazine capacity laws. Get some 10 rounders for your Glock before you go.

Unlike the rest of the state, most Mass cops are very pro-gun and wouldn't be looking for any reason to pinch a fellow officer anyway, so if you follow the HR218 guidelines, you shouldn't have a problem.
            Sapper, no need to get 10 rounders, as long as you have your credentials you can carry your hi caps. They made a recent change in that law. As long as you're a leo you should be good to go. The change is not on the Mass Law web page yet but we had at in inservice this winter. The Attorney teaching the class basically told us that we do not need to be performing official duties nor do we need department permission for carrying hi cap mags. I will say that you need to either keep your sidearm under your immediate control, ie carry on your person concealed or if your not carrying it. Then it needs to be kept in a stored locked container. While Mass is an anti gun state, most leo's are pro gun and you shouldn't have a problem. Enjoy your visit.
            "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

He's right. Carry away. LEOSA now covers you pretty much completely AND no cop in mass is going to jam you up. Just have your badge and ID. Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Jack View Post
                Sapper, no need to get 10 rounders, as long as you have your credentials you can carry your hi caps. They made a recent change in that law. As long as you're a leo you should be good to go. The change is not on the Mass Law web page yet but we had at in inservice this winter. The Attorney teaching the class basically told us that we do not need to be performing official duties nor do we need department permission for carrying hi cap mags. I will say that you need to either keep your sidearm under your immediate control, ie carry on your person concealed or if your not carrying it. Then it needs to be kept in a stored locked container. While Mass is an anti gun state, most leo's are pro gun and you shouldn't have a problem. Enjoy your visit.
                That's good to know for when I go up there if I ever get hired down here. I knew most Mass cops were not at all supportive of most of the state's gun control regulations. When I was in the reserve academy in MA, we were told to bring hi-cap mags to the firearms training if we had them, and only two guys in the class were already hired and sworn. Now I was using an M&P45 at the time, so I only had 10 rounders anyway, but the fact that they told ALL of us to bring hi-cap mags surprised me.
                "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                -Chris Rock

Comment

I think most of the cops here have no taste or frankly even the time of day for the ridiculous and convoluted firearms laws (can you say last state in the country to legalized chemical sprays?) unless said firearm/law is incidental to a drug or other crime arrest or is in itself a blatant violation. Especially the holder of said firearm is anothet cop.

Comment

I concur, our gun laws read about as clear as mud so I don't fault anyone for being confused. Heck I had to go find my in service handouts from this winter and skim through them before posting. Speaking of ridiculous if I ever do get chance to relocate out of here the first thing I'm buying from a sporting goods store is a sling shot. Why????? Because its a felony to posses one in the Commonwealth of Mass and I've always wanted one damnit!!!!
                    "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6964 users online. 249 members and 6715 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X