300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer from Ohio

Anyone on here have any idea about if my certification in Ohio is going to transfer to Massachusetts? I really would like to work for a major city like Boston or one of its suburbs. I'm not familiar with the area at all, so any advice would help. Is it difficult to get hired in that area? I have been working part time for about two years in Ohio, so I have some experience. I really dont want to go to the academy again, but I would if necessary. Thanks for any help!

Hi Richter. I have news, and none of it is good.
    Most cities and towns in MA fall under a statewide Civil Service agency. To get hired in most cities/towns in MA you have to take a statewide Civil Service exam and indicate which cities or towns you might like to work for. When the agency is ready to hire they call Civil Service who sends a list of eligible candidates based on that entry exam. The exam is held every two years and I think the last one was in Spring of 2009.
    We also had over 100 cops get laid off from Civil Service departments last year. State law requires any Civil Service city or town statewide that wants to hire to offer the job to one of these people first
    There are some non civil service towns that do their own hiring, but Boston isn't one of them.
    I don't know about your certification. I suggest you look at the MPTC (Mass Police Training Council- or Committee, I forget) web site. They provide training for MA officers.
    You might want to consider one of the college PD's in Boston. Most of them are in an urban setting without the "campus" look people think about when they think college PD.
    Good luck
    "The only means we possess to thank them is to try to be as good an American as they were. We might fall well short of their standard, but there is honor in the effort."

Comment

Nicely said..

Let me give you a better intel dump; stay the hell away from MA. This state s*cks ***** and thanks to the 1 party legislature it's getting worse. The uber-libs give the welfare slobs a raise but they want to take money from us. They're taking road details and the Quinn Bill (educational incentives added to our base pay). Guys are getting layed off and when they take the Quinn, (those with jobs) some are going to lose their homes.

It's ultra-competitive trying to get on the job here, and add in the lay off list; forget about it. And unless you're a vet or a minority you pretty much need to score a 100 on the CS test. And even that won't guarantee you a spot in an academy. Non CS departments are an option; but the bene's are generally not as good and management can be very political and the town jurisdiction really small.

This might be tough to chew on, but if I were in your position I'd want and appreciate the brutal truth. Good luck either way..
      surly?? screw you....

Comment

Thanks for the bad news guys. I'm not really suprised, I guess I would look into working at one of the colleges in Boston, and take the civil service exam when they give it. How many people take that exam?! I took Cleveland's test and there were 3k people for that, I can't even imagine how many people would be taking a state-wide exam.

Comment

Yeah a alot more than 3k take it. But the good news is there are 351 cities and towns in MA. Probably 300 or so are Civil Service. When you sign up to take the test you get I think 3 choices, so when you figure maybe 7 or 8 k people with three choices into 300 the odds aren't as bad as they seem.
          Here's a tip if you do come here: Don't waste your any of your choices on Boston PD, Mass State Police or MBTA Police (Transit) Every body who takes the test checks off one of them so you're wasting your time.
          Plus there are some people who get various level of preference in hiring: Vetrans, minorities, certain languages in certain cities, residents, Sons and daughters of Police officers killed in line of duty... You get the idea.

Colleges: I don't live in Boston but I know that Boston University and Harvard University over on Cambridge (If you can stand the political climate there)are both in urban areas. Both of them own properties all over Boston/Cambridge, so you're all over the place responding to calls. Both are armed. There are some that aren't armed but are in urban areas. You gotta look around and see what is what.
          If you're really interested you need to be a member over on MassCops.com. You get a lot more local info than you get here. Just be warned that MassCops is a lot saltier than Officer.com. My advice is if you join before you ask a question do a search for it first. Somebody else has probably asked it. They don't have a lot of patience for newbies with questions like "How do I become a State Trooper?"
          Last edited by sdb29; 10-31-2009, 07:13 AM. Reason: spelcheck
          "The only means we possess to thank them is to try to be as good an American as they were. We might fall well short of their standard, but there is honor in the effort."

Comment

Originally posted by sdb29 View Post
            If you're really interested you need to be a member over on MassCops.com. You get a lot more local info than you get here. Just be warned that MassCops is a lot saltier than Officer.com. My advice is if you join before you ask a question do a search for it first. Somebody else has probably asked it. They don't have a lot of patience for newbies with questions like "How do I become a State Trooper?"
            Saltier? C'mon, it's a welcoming bunch of friendlies over there. While here they make sure you go to church every Sunday, drink hot cocoa with marshmellows while posting fluffy accolades about being in law enforcement. Seriously though, masscops has somebody from just about every department you can think of.
            Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

To be honest not too many colleges are hiring either. Those that offer good benefits and the municipal full time academy are hard to come by. BC/BU/Harvard/MIT you pretty much need to know someone to get on. Its slim pickens regardless in this state. If you want to work part-time in podunk ville making $12.50 an hr then you might be able to work as a reserve in a non civil service town.

Comment

I know a few of our guys came from out of state years ago. We recently hired four and all our SSPO grads I believe. I don't think we're going to be hiring anymore for a while, we maybe hire one or two a year this is actually the biggest hiring I've seen since I started.

You could look at BU, BC, Tufts, MIT or Harvard. Those are th biggest ones next to us and they are pretty decent and busy. There are smaller agencies that a lot of people usually get on and than will transfer to bigger ones such, as Simmons, Wentworth, and Mass Art. There are other university PD's but they are outside of the Boston area and I don't know much about them.

Keep in mind many of the guys on this board are right hiring sucks up here. Once I graduate I'm out this state ASAP. But if you are dead set on coming to MA than the college PD route is most likely your best option

Comment

Unfortunately you are not going to work for any major city in MA unless you take civil service. In addition to all the xtra points that are given for things such as vet, etc...there are two seperate lists that cities and town maintain. The first list is for those who live in that city or town and the second is for everyone else. And you guessed it, they have to burn through the in-town folks first.

There are some good non-civil service towns. There are a few on Cape Cod in fact. The Dennis, Yarmouth, and Mashpee Police Departments are very busy and good places to work. Eastham has a new chief and seems to always have openings but is very quiet. STAY AWAY FROM CHATHAM. Although they also do have openings quite often. Did I say STAY AWAY FROM CHATHAM? Orleans, Truro, Harwich, and Wellfleet are also non-civil service. Not urban environments by any stretch but they do hire from time to time.

I personally would not waste your time with Masscops. You can search the site without signing up. They do post job openings but you dont have to be a member. I think that you will see that there are more posts that basically just slam poster after poster. Very frustrating when you are trying to find useful information and all you see are people trying to get their posting numbers up by bashing everyone.

Comment

Pretty much I'll agree with what everyone has said so far. One option you may want to look at is southern New Hampshire agencies..some may not have any residency rules so you could live in Mass and drive to New Hampshire and work...also you may just have to do the NH police academys law package...rather than a full acadmey all over again. Just something to think about....good luck
                    "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3760 users online. 239 members and 3521 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X