300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Police Department Formed in Allegany County

In less then a week's time, the Allegany County, MD Commissioners have eliminated the patrol function from the sheriff's office and have formed a new county police force, or as they are calling it "Allegany County Bureau of Police". The sheriff and the commissioners have never seen eye to eye as the sheriff was constantly underfunded (i.e. $500.00 a year for training within the whole department). I had seen this coming but never, never thought that in a week's time a new department would be formed, one department's services deleted and all this without even considering the comments and concerns from the citizen's of Allegany County.

If Allegany County can start a county police force in less than a week, what's taking Carroll County so long (Oh yeah, thats right, they are doing it the correct way

http://www.times-news.com/local/loca...216205413.html

Link with video interview with sheriff:
    http://your4state.com/content/fulltext/?cid=24681
    Last edited by jws8308; 08-04-2008, 08:15 PM. Reason: addition

I wonder how those that "voluntarily" transferred to ACBoP feel about their new assignment. The commissioner says they won't have to worry about all the political BS from those upstairs, so with that said they might be happy. (The SO only got to keep 5 deputies???)

I thought there were more than enough municipalities for a county of that population size. Looks like ACBoP was only started for political reasons rather than an improvement in public safety. That's never a good reason to start an agency.

Thanks jws I am going to research this issue further.
    Last edited by mp1161; 08-06-2008, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Kinda what Harford County wants do to. Form a county-wide Police Department made of the Municipalities, and maybe some Deputies, if they want to come over. And then make the SO the "Paper" guys, who serve warrants, summonses, and do court security.
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
      that we are all that stands between
      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

The Sheriff is the constutional chief law enforcement officer of the counties. Its the best system. The Sheriff is held accountable by the people. If he does not serve the community in an appropriate fashion, he loses his job in 4 years.

A Chief is at the whim of the county commissioners (or whatever form your county uses). It distances the people from law enforcement.

Comment

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Last edited by MdDep; 03-08-2009, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Seems like you have alot of knowledge of the S/Os in Maryland. I am actively looking to join a Sheriff's office (preferably in the Eastern Shore) and would appreciate your opinion, good or bad. If you don't feel comfortable expressing your feelings on the board, a PM would be great. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MdDep View Post
              Sheriff elections are nothing more than local popularity contests and have nothing to do with who is the most qualified for the job. .
              You could also say that running for any public office is nothing more then a "popularity contest". However, believe it or not, more people then not vote for the person they think will perform the job the best. That's how our political system works.

Sheriff Offices perpetuate an already intact good 'ol boy system that permiates through the entire department. The agency is often run with a wink and a nod with everything from tranfers, promotions and unfair discipline practices are common.
              If departmental policies did not exist! Police department or Sheriff's office, "Golden children" exist. They exist in the private sector too. Its a fact of life no matter where you go. To protect everyone good policy is needed. Its good to have a black and white discipline matrix, and good promotional policy. Transfers is nothing you can really do about.

Especially if you made the fatal mistake of being an active FOP member that endorsed the wrong candidate The only exception is if the deputies have the protection of collective bargaining with binding arbitration which few agencies have in Maryland and most Sheriff's and county governments would fight tooth and nail...
              We have collective bargining and it provides great benifits to both sides. However as a word of advice to anyone reading this forum, do NOT get involved in politics. If the canidate you endorse loses, do you not think that the winning offical would not be upset on some level with you? Loyalty is extremely important to supervisors, and it means a lot for the line officers to. By getting into politics in your agency, you are creating a division that does not need to be there. If you don't like you boss, don't vote for him! No one will ever know.

And as is the case throughout Maryland, Sheriff's Offices often turn into retirement jobs for retired MSP that want there own little kingdom to run like there personal barrack when for the most part if a deputy wanted to be a trooper he would.
              When a Trooper is elected, you get a "Trooper Sheriff". I dislike the "Trooper Mentality" generally speaking but its part of the job when they are the boss. The day when you are boss comes, run the department as you see fit. You can either complain about things, or stand up one day and change things for the better. Use it to motivate you!

This is not to say that there isn't professional sheriff's ofices in Maryland but most Sheriff's Offices are riffed with politics that have nothing to do with the well being of the Sheriff's Office, the deputies, and most important the community they are sworn to serve.
              I must be blessed with a great agency and a great Sheriff that backs his people up not only behind the doors of the agency, but in the media as well. Best wishes.

Comment

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                Last edited by MdDep; 03-08-2009, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Just an update for those who may be following this story, Allegany County is still without a county police/sheriif's patrol. MSP is still responsible for all of Allegany County (With the exception of the 5 city police departments who patrol their respective areas). Newly created county police force still waiting for a waiver for their officers to be certified as police officers with the new agency.

Here is a link to a local chat room that has video of last week's commissioner's meeting reference this issue. If you watch, you will see how the commissioner's disrespected all in attendence with their rude remarks and other behavior. You will also see the Sheriff Goad give his side of the story.

http://www.cumberlandchat.com/cgi/Fo...num=1218147642

Here is a link to youtube where the whole meeting can be viewed in segments
                  http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...5B658907ABD42D
                  Last edited by jws8308; 08-10-2008, 07:36 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Sounds like this might have been a bad idea??

I wonder what their new cars will look like...or if they will keep the same scheme...
                    Last edited by jchughes05; 08-11-2008, 10:15 AM.
                    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                    that we are all that stands between
                    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Question ? Just wanted to know / how will this effect other departments in the area, or will it / All so is this new department going to try to take over the small town police departments in your area or are they going to try to take the men from those departments also?

Comment

Not sure if there is any more news on this, but I just saw a posting for Road Deputy (ies) with the Sheriff's Office. So I guess this fight is not yet over, and the Sheriff is still hiring for patrol.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3134 users online. 188 members and 2946 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X