300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad News :(

So some of you may remember me from other threads and I am applying with Baltimore County Police Department and Maryland State Police.

I received a letter the other day from MSP and they withdrew my conditional offer. I was SHOCKED! I have no idea why because they had already told me I had passed all the tests and they were waiting on my finished background invesigation. And I was completely honest with my BI and in my application with everything in my past. I mean I've never even done drugs, never been drunk behind the wheel, no moving violations, no criminal record, some college, etc.

The only thing that I can think of that could hurt me would be my credit (it's probably considered fair) and I didn't finish college because my mom had spine surgery so I left to come home and help take care of her. I also forgot about a job I worked for 17 days when I was 14, but I told them about it as soon as I remembered about it, and for some reason my BI thought I was lying to him about it. I told him that I had no reason to lie first of all and if I was trying to hide something I wouldn't have told Baltimore County PD about it (I realized I forgot to include it when I was filling out the BCPD PHQ).

I spoke with some friends in law enforcement and they said they don't think that would do it, but I was showing more interest in Baltimore County Police Department. I just sent out my written request for an explanation of their decision because they said all requests must be in writing. I will not let this deter me from being in law enforcement, and if anything it will make me want to work that much harder.

I believe everything happens for a reason, and I'm going to make the most of the situation that is given to me with Baltimore County PD. Any advice on this situation would be great. Thanks for taking the time to read this and stay safe out there guys and gals!

The only advice is to keep on truck'n.

Comment

Were you disqualified and told that you can reapply or disqualified and told that you would be unable to ever reapply? There is a HUGE difference. IF it is the first one it could be you were #51 and the next class was only for 50. Same thing happened to a friend of mine when he applied to howard county. They were only taking 25 or so and there were 25 applicants they felt were better qualified than he.

Comment

IMO it sounds like a background issue MSP had with you. I would try your best to find out if this is a DQ or an auto DQ like Name Taken said. Obviously if you can find out what the situation was would be best. Don't be surprised if they won't tell you though.

L223 I applied with Howard County and they did not withdraw my COE, they sent me a letter before the academy started notifying me that there were "more qualified candidates in the process".

Wheels64... I went through a similar situation and will be more than happy to explain it to you via PM

Comment

This happened to me a few months back with an agency in Virginia. I was under the impression I was on the 'fast-track' of sorts. I was given a conditional offer fairly quickly within the process. Went through testing, met with the chief on two occasions, went on a few ride-a-longs, took the poly, and then two weeks after the poly. Bam. Letter stating they had more qualified applicants. Well, ok it happens. What got me though was a few months later they reposted the announcement, and I emailed them asking what the 're-apply' process was, and I was told by a Lieutenant basically 'don't bother'. They've never responded as to what went wrong. My thinking was the poly, but the administrator stated that I had passed after it.

So who knows with that.

Advice that has been given is good, just keep trying. I've tried searching, in vein, for what may have caused my downfall with them. But I've submitted applications elsewhere to nearby jurisdictions, so have moved through, while others are the 'more qualified' letters.
          Last edited by LochRaven; 07-25-2008, 10:15 AM.

Comment

The letter just stated that my file is now on an inactive list. I don't know what could have come up in my background because I've lived my life like a dud because I knew I wanted to either go into law enforcement or the military. So I really have nothing on my record besides my bad credit from a few credit cards and my house that I'm trying to sell. The letter didn't state whether or not I could apply again, so I'm assuming that I can. It also said that I can send a written request with any questions, so I sent them a letter asking why it happened because I was 100% honest and I think I'm a good applicant. My friends in law enforcement know I will make a good police officer, and I want to get into law enforcement more than anything so I'm going to keep trying until someone takes me. I really want to go with Baltimore County, but for a backup I'm going to apply with Howard County, Baltimore City, and I applied with the City of Rockville Police the other day. I'm sure somebody will take me, and hopefully MSP will explain to me what happened.

Comment

hey wheels.. I too have been unofficially rejected by my 1st choice of Baltimore County...

I hadn't heard anything in a while so I called my BI to see what was going on..He told me it looks like they aren't going to select me based on feedback he was getting from the selection staff. Not sure what the real reason is other than being a white male... He mentioned something about being too immature...which is quite a shock to me! I'm 19, with no history what so ever, no tickets, never touched any drugs, not a party person haven't even been intoxicated in well over a year...I'm an elected officer in a busy volunteer fire station in the same county... So I guess I'm less mature than most people my age.. The ones that are probably hungover and suffering from the munchies sleeping next to some random girl they met last night.

The best part is it has been a month since my process has been completed and they have yet to send me my letter but when I call them they tell me yeah you're pretty much screwed.

Oh well..I too believe it all happens for a reason! On to the next process.

Comment

That's really interesting. I was just logging on to say I got a COE yesterday....but its weird because my background check was started a few days ago and I have not taken my polygraph or Oral board review. Even more confusing was that on the letter saying what still needs to be done the board review was not even mentioned! I sure hope they do not take back my COE. I did more stuff then you Wheels (nothing major. I had perhaps one glass of wine and then drove so I was still within the legal limit. I also did my share of underage drinking but not excessively) Anyway best of luck with Baltimore County and if I get turned down to MSP I might be joining you

Comment

Originally posted by wheels64 View Post
                  The letter just stated that my file is now on an inactive list. I don't know what could have come up in my background because I've lived my life like a dud because I knew I wanted to either go into law enforcement or the military. So I really have nothing on my record besides my bad credit from a few credit cards and my house that I'm trying to sell. The letter didn't state whether or not I could apply again, so I'm assuming that I can. It also said that I can send a written request with any questions, so I sent them a letter asking why it happened because I was 100% honest and I think I'm a good applicant. My friends in law enforcement know I will make a good police officer, and I want to get into law enforcement more than anything so I'm going to keep trying until someone takes me. I really want to go with Baltimore County, but for a backup I'm going to apply with Howard County, Baltimore City, and I applied with the City of Rockville Police the other day. I'm sure somebody will take me, and hopefully MSP will explain to me what happened.

Just an FYI, when I applied to Rockville last november, I didnt even get a test notification until march or april, so I wouldnt hold my breath on hearing anything in a timely manner if I were you.

Comment

Wheels64,

check your PM's

Comment

Yeah you have to be at least 20 years and 6 months, but it doesn't matter for me because I'll be turning 22 in a couple months. I think the BI didn't think I was showing enough interest in MSP, which I wasn't to be completely honest, so he did what he could to get my final offer rejected. It's OK because I'm going to work my butt off to get hired by Baltimore County.

Comment

Originally posted by SureHopeSo View Post
                        hey wheels.. I too have been unofficially rejected by my 1st choice of Baltimore County...

I hadn't heard anything in a while so I called my BI to see what was going on..He told me it looks like they aren't going to select me based on feedback he was getting from the selection staff. Not sure what the real reason is other than being a white male... He mentioned something about being too immature...which is quite a shock to me! I'm 19, with no history what so ever, no tickets, never touched any drugs, not a party person haven't even been intoxicated in well over a year...I'm an elected officer in a busy volunteer fire station in the same county... So I guess I'm less mature than most people my age.. The ones that are probably hungover and suffering from the munchies sleeping next to some random girl they met last night.

The best part is it has been a month since my process has been completed and they have yet to send me my letter but when I call them they tell me yeah you're pretty much screwed.

Oh well..I too believe it all happens for a reason! On to the next process.
                        19? I thought I was the young guy around here. But anyway, I thought you had to be 21 by swearing in for most places. And most academies are 6 months long. When does this academy start?

Comment

Originally posted by DaLAW View Post
                          19? I thought I was the young guy around here. But anyway, I thought you had to be 21 by swearing in for most places. And most academies are 6 months long. When does this academy start?
                          In New York State some places will hire at 19; in FL it's a state law that the minimum age is 19. At places like FHP, Broward Sheriff Office, and Miami-Dade 19 is the qualifying age.

Out west too there are some places. (LASD)

I find it only in big cities and in certain states where the 21 means 21 rule applies. Some 19 year olds have more maturity then 21 year olds but large agencies generalize the idea that 19 is too young.

I have been drunk numerous occasions however; only in legal places Quebec, Puerto Rico, and Ontario as I live in NY and have access.

Comment

Forgot to mention i was appying for cadet...which is 18-20

Comment

$hit happens, don't let it deter you. I was pressured by a VERY high up in OCPD to apply and then got DQ'd by them. The problem was that they refused to tell me why or ANYTHING about the DQ. They wouldn't even let me know if it was one of their standards or MPCTC. I went on to get hired by a much better agency so I guess everything happens for a reason.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4497 users online. 259 members and 4238 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X