300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrapping up MdTA process

hopefully someone that has experience with this agency will chime in.

basically, i am scheduled to finish processing this month for MdTA. my pre employment physical was passed earlier this week (blood test pending, should be fine). next week is my poly, the week after is oral board, and the week after that is oral psych.

from what i gather, MdTA only schedules the oral board/psych/pre employment physical for those applicants that are being highly considered for hire. i know that nothing is ever 100% until after probation. question is, what do you think? im guess im looking for comfort, if nothing else. i just couldnt see them paying the money for blood work and physical for every applicant. thanks

I am all through with the steps for Mdta. Finished w/ my medical and psych about 2 weeks ago. Nothing is certain until you get the call. Even if you pass all the steps, there will be a selection comittee who will decide who makes it into the next class. So good luck to you and maybe i'll see you there with luck of my own.

Comment

ive talked to someone who used to work in that dept and was told there is no "real" selection commitee

Comment

You should apply to MC Park Police. You wont be bored with just traffic that way.
        John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by redbird07 View Post
          You should apply to MC Park Police. You wont be bored with just traffic that way.
          i will consider it, if i dont get hired. im actually really interested in MdTA because of drug enforcement. my long term goal is to get on the H.E.A.T assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
            i will consider it, if i dont get hired. im actually really interested in MdTA because of drug enforcement. my long term goal is to get on the H.E.A.T assignment.
            You will get the traffic enforcement... which will give you the drug enforcement if you find the right cars.

However... you will find that you are missing out on the rest of the experience... homicide, robbery, theft... basically the crime investigations that you would get with a full service agency.

Not that MdTa doesn't have their roll, just... well... I wanted to be a police officer so that I could be a police officer.

Don't get me wrong, I respect all officers and don't look down on them... just don't care much for the limited job they perform.
            Stay safe.... or stay home.

Comment

Originally posted by bcopd79 View Post
              You will get the traffic enforcement... which will give you the drug enforcement if you find the right cars.

However... you will find that you are missing out on the rest of the experience... homicide, robbery, theft... basically the crime investigations that you would get with a full service agency.

Not that MdTa doesn't have their roll, just... well... I wanted to be a police officer so that I could be a police officer.

Don't get me wrong, I respect all officers and don't look down on them... just don't care much for the limited job they perform.
              i honestly think that with the city getting as bad as it is, its only a matter of time before MdTA and MSP take on more roles.

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
                i honestly think that with the city getting as bad as it is, its only a matter of time before MdTA and MSP take on more roles.
                MSP maybe, but I disagree on MdTA. MdTA might start taking accidents on 83 or get more of 395, but they are pretty much a transportation agency.

Going from handling accidents and running radar to working patrol or running city streets is a GIGANTIC ENORMOUS difference. It's also not safe.

I agree they serve their purpose, don't mistake that.

However, BPD needs to handle BPD's mess... throwing MdTA into the mix isnt going to help. MSP will get involved because they ARE the state.

Comment

MSP maybe, but I disagree on MdTA. MdTA might start taking accidents on 83 or get more of 395, but they are pretty much a transportation agency.

Going from handling accidents and running radar to working patrol or running city streets is a GIGANTIC ENORMOUS difference. It's also not safe.

However, BPD needs to handle BPD's mess... throwing MdTA into the mix isnt going to help. MSP will get involved because they ARE the state.
                  they are already taking over 295 traffic into the city. MSP so far, doesnt want to take the JF expressway. who knows, you could be right though. i dont think either option is TOO far fetched.

Comment

MdTA is already doing special patrols in the city

[QUOTE]Going from handling accidents and running radar to working patrol on running city streets is a GIGANTIC ENORMOUS difference. It's also not safe. [QUOTE]

MdTA officers do full police service at the BWI and the port. Officers at the Bay Bridge, Hatam and Nice bridges run calls in there respective countys when needed. So needless to say our officers are more then equiped to run call in the city.

we all know BPD isnt the problem its the city government.
                    American Born, Country By the Grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by gks1983 View Post
                      MdTA is already doing special patrols in the city
                      MdTA officers do full police service at the BWI and the port. Officers at the Bay Bridge, Hatam and Nice bridges run calls in there respective countys when needed. So needless to say our officers are more then equiped to run call in the city.
                      we all know BPD isnt the problem its the city government.
                      Don't mistake what I am trying to say here... I realize that task forces are involved in details in the city.

I disagree that MdTA officers should just jump right into Baltimore City and begin patrol function. I disagree that ANY other agency then BCP should handle calls for service in their area, and mostly it is for safety reasons.

Regardless of the fact that currently there is, on last check, a huge communications problem regarding KGA and other agencies, and the ability to talk on various channels.

Safety is my issue. Im sorry, do NOT take this the wrong way because I respect all agencies, but you cannot take an officer from bridge/tunnel detail or the airport and put him into Baltimore City. Its a completely different world and really, a completely different job.

I don't envy the job that BCP has, its an uphill battle on a dark night in the rain, but at least they know their sectors, people and how to deal with the same.

Comment

I agree with you also. Reality is that MdTA has a very specific mission and that going from walking around BWI and driving over the bridges and threw the tunnels doesnt get you as much exposure to the variety of calls a full service agency handles. Someone who has been working traffic for ten+ years and then throwing them into full service is just trouble in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

Don't mistake what I am trying to say here... I realize that task forces are involved in details in the city.

I disagree that MdTA officers should just jump right into Baltimore City and begin patrol function. I disagree that ANY other agency then BCP should handle calls for service in their area, and mostly it is for safety reasons.

Regardless of the fact that currently there is, on last check, a huge communications problem regarding KGA and other agencies, and the ability to talk on various channels.

Safety is my issue. Im sorry, do NOT take this the wrong way because I respect all agencies, but you cannot take an officer from bridge/tunnel detail or the airport and put him into Baltimore City. Its a completely different world and really, a completely different job.

I don't envy the job that BCP has, its an uphill battle on a dark night in the rain, but at least they know their sectors, people and how to deal with the same.

Comment

What areas in MD does MDTA patrol or are responsible for? I know BWI, Bay Bridge, the tunnel...but what other road ways and how far away from the bridges/tunnels do they patrol? Conversation with a neighbor and so many conflicting posts about their patrol area lead me to the above question.

Comment

Mdta Patrol areas

Mdta has jurisdiction on all of I-895, I-95 from inside the baltimore beltway (north and south), BWI airport and surrounding roadways- including sections of I-195, about 12 miles of US Rt 50 at the Bay Bridge, about 10 miles of I-695 at the Key bridge, portions of US Rt 40 in close proximity to Hatem bridge, portions of US Rt 301 in close proximity to Nice Bridge. They also have juristiction at the various ports of baltimore, but i'm unaware of jurisdiction outside of the ports.

There is currently a study being conducted on whether or not the Mdta should resume law enforcement duties on I-95 from baltimore city line to Deleware state line. This would be a 2 year minimum transition however, so earliest would be 2009. Also, the mdta will have law enforcement duties at the ICC- 18 miles in PG and Montgomery counties when completed (if ever) Slated to be done in 2011, but they have been having severe troubles with even getting started on this project.
                            The mdta as i'm sure you know has also begun to help out Baltimore city PD with patrol operations on 295 (about 7 miles) in the city, but there is no timeframe on how long or short this may last.

The agency is mostly highway patrol and intervention duties.
                            Last edited by DRB5586; 06-18-2007, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Glad to hear that other people are in the same boat..

I have just finished up every stage of the hiring process for MDTA. I spoke with Sgt Wilson and the conditional offers should be made between july 4th and 18th. I was also told that my oral went well, I am confident on how well I did in the psych by the way the Dr. treated me during the psych interview. But I wont know for sure unless I get that phone call..so time will tell! This forum has definately helped me along the process. Jvegas, hope to see you in the academy!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5246 users online. 265 members and 4981 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X