300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinion is requested!

***I posted this same thread on the DC group but thought this would be a good place for it also***

I am currently looking into making a move, I am considering several options with one of them being moving closer to my sister who lives in Fredericksburgh, VA.
    I have 3 years in FL, so I am looking into making a lateral move, I spoke to recruiters and so far I am considering the following agencies: DC Metro PD, Baltimore PD, and Prince William County PD (Im not sure if I am clean enough for this one! LOL).
    I am obviously concerned about the real estate prices and that will be a major consideration, but I also dont want to go to a department where everyone hates life. I am single and ideally want to live in an area where there are tons of things to do, lots of restaurants and outdoor activities, so I don't want to end up in a rural area.

Maybe I am wrong, but I feel like I can't trust recruiters, so I am looking to find out what is really like from people who will give me an honest opinion. I know there is good and bad in very department, I am not a rookie so I see the bigger picture, but I would love to hear your 2 cents if you don't mind giving them to me.

I look forward to your answers!

If your looking for a county Dept I would look into Montgomery County, Md. They pay good and usually the best equipment.
    I'm sorry, Bruce. These boys get that syrup in 'em, they get all antsy in their pantsy.

Comment

Also would suggest Howard County. There are threads on alot of the departments already. As far as living, it is expensive. A nice townhouse in a nice area around Howard County/PG/Mont is going to run you 300k.

Comment

i would the 300k for a townhouse in that area is alittle on the low side... i would expect to pay from 325 to 375k for a "nice" townhouse in a safe, quiet community.

Comment

montgomery county is the way to go......they do require 60 credit hours to apply, but they are a very well respected department in the area. they may not make quite as much as DC and PG to start, but you can't go wrong with montgomery county in my opinion!

300k is a low price for anything decent with more than 1 or 2 bedrooms in montgomery county for sure!! i'm not saying it can't be found, but it is not common.

Comment

crofton is also a nice living choice, if you dont mind a short commute. the pricing is slightly less than MoCo, Howard, PG, and closer to DC. you are close to Annapolis, which has a great family scene, with lots of things to do. If you are into boating/sailing, Annapolis is HUGE on that.

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
              crofton is also a nice living choice, if you dont mind a short commute. the pricing is slightly less than MoCo, Howard, PG, and closer to DC. you are close to Annapolis, which has a great family scene, with lots of things to do. If you are into boating/sailing, Annapolis is HUGE on that.

Crofton is in no means less exspensive then any of these especially PG. Crofton is very nice though but building up like crazy.

You can also check the eastern shore...Queens Anne County
              Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Ok, from the sticks...

Where, exactly are you looking to Police? Metro area (Baltimore/DC) Suburban (Mont/PG/Balt County etc) or rural (About anything else)?

Basically, you'll have to make your decision from there. There are good and bad with all of those outfits, plenty of things to bitch about (isn't there always? LOL) but some good with each.

The next biggest question would be, "When"? As in, when do you plan on moving? Some of these agencies only hire at certain times of the year. Some are year round. The rural agencies are usually only at certain times of the year.

Next, what kind of benefits do you want? (Other than the normal stuff..) Schools? (SWAT, Bike, Traffic unit, etc ) Take home car? Panama schedule or 4/10 or 5/8?

Figure out where you want to live first, then look to agencies within that commuting distance.

That's how I'd do it, anyway.
                Best Regards,
                Zebra 305
                "Shots fired, shots fired..get me some goddam cars up here now!"
                Typical Henry Sector PG County radio traffic, circa 1996.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6100 users online. 364 members and 5736 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X