Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about drug testing (Baltimore County)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about drug testing (Baltimore County)

Hey guys. I have a question regarding the drug testing policies of becoming Baltimore County PD. Me and a couple of buddys are thinking about planning a trip to Amsterdam next year. Well we all know what that is about(legal smoking).I dont smoke here for obvious reasons but I wanted to go for the experience. Next year I plan on applying for County PD. One of my questions is, Lets say I do fail the drug test is there any exempt for me if I prove I was in Amsterdam where it was used legally or is it no matter what, if its in your system its in your system. Ofcoarse if I do feel this would jeoprdize my position with County PD I will not go. Also is the testing for hair folicle or urine test.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by donman; 04-18-2007, 11:53 AM.

I'm not an officer, but I seriously doubt it will matter WHERE it is. No matter what, you will need three years between the time you did and and the time you go into the academy. My advice, is why even do that if you're thinking of becoming a police officer? Just because it's legal doesn't make it right, and I think you will have a hard time becoming an officer if you do it.

Comment

I agree with DustinH... besides, my application for a local PD here in Maryland had the question "have you ever used drugs in a country where it is legal to do so?".... I would seriously think about why you want to be a Police Officer if you are interested in doing this... just my $0.02.
      "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils"

Comment

Originally posted by donman
        Hey guys. I have a question regarding the drug testing policies of becoming Baltimore County PD. Me and a couple of buddys are thinking about planning a trip to Amsterdam next year. Well we all know what that is about(legal smoking).I dont smoke here for obvious reasons but I wanted to go for the experience. Next year I plan on applying for County PD. One of my questions is, Lets say I do fail the drug test is there any exempt for me if I prove I was in Amsterdam where it was used legally or is it no matter what, if its in your system its in your system. Ofcoarse if I do feel this would jeoprdize my position with County PD I will not go. Also is the testing for hair folicle or urine test.

Thanks guys
        Age, Temptation, Career. Baltimore County is a very tough agency to get hired by and they are very strict on all of their guidelines in the hiring process. You basically answered our own questions. To be up front, I would not go, or if you do go, don't apply for a job in LE, just to get the "experience" of legal drugs over there.
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Thanks for the response guys
          As I stated I WILL NOT go if it does jeopardize me being hired. if I dont decide to smoke which most likely I wont, Going anywhere in a closed area(Amsterdam coffee shops)where it is smoked, there is a possibility it can get into my system especially hair. When I said experience I didnt mean smoking. I mean to experience Amsterdam as a whole. Ive lived in some really bad areas in my life and seen what goes on. For that I wanted to become an officer to protect the safety of all and enforce the law. Thats the main reason I do want to be come an Officer. Again thanks for the info, Going to Amsterdam is not even an option anymore.

Comment

I'm not an LEO, but I have a difficult time understanding your mentality. There are a variety of things that are perfectly legal to do in foreign countries, including smoking marijuana/hashish and even some hard narcotics. Personally, I have never used any sort of drug save for alcohol and tobacco and I don't understand your desire to partake in it simply "for the experience". Prostitution is also legal in Amsterdam, would you try that?

Its not my intention to criticize you, I just don't see how this could benefit you in any way. Especially if you are serious about becoming a law enforcement officer.

Comment

Experience Germany or Spain or Italy. Don't risk it with Amsterdam. County needs people but they aren't going all city and hire anyone who walks in the door. You fail your drug test and your app goes to the bottom of the pile while you swear to up and down "I didn't inhale." I am sure the county recruiters will get a kick out of that one.

Like I said...go to Italy, its 10xs as nice as Amsterdam. Of course I am Italian so I am biased.
              GO CAVS!!

Comment

I just don't understand WHY you want to be a police officer if you still have the "urge" or temptation to try this. I tried it 4 times (once out of the country but doesn't matter) and I wanted to be a cop since before college, but I knew I was too young and dumb. Now that I'm older, and I know what I know, I am ready to have the responsibility of being an officer. It sounds a little bit like you're not ready. If you have the desire, or felt like you haven't "partied" enough, I would wait until you're older, that's just my opinion. I don't know how appropriate it would be to arrest someone for possesion etc. of marijuana, and then you do it yourself, even if it's "legal."

Comment

Also, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think being around others smoking will give you a positive drug test. Like I said, I went through college and everything and I was around people smoking, but I never failed a drug test. I use to have a job in college that I get tested monthly, and I was told I had to actually smoke myself to have it be positive. I could be wrong though. But, why take the chance, like BmoreDawg said, go somewhere that you will actually enjoy and REMEMBER!!

Comment

If you have smoked marijuana or done any type of illeagle narcotic within the same year you are attempting to get into a police department you will be denied, yes even if it was legal in the country you did this in. Most agencies, including Balto County, need you to put years between the last time you did narcotics and time of hire. If you fail your drug test or if an investigation yeilds results revealing you did narcotics, not only will you be disqualified from Balto County, but they will share said information with any other police department you are applying for.

Your attitude towards marihuana THC, which is a schedule I controlled dangerous substance, will also not appear very appealing during your interveiw. Your attitude indicates that you could have a hard time arresting people for marihuana possesion. Now I am not sitting here and saying I arrest every individual for a joint, but I better get something pretty good out of it if I don't. Also, if you were able to get on with the department, and you had friends who consumed marihuana, of which the department found out about. You would be charged internally within the department and could lose your job.

If you are seriuos about Law Enforcement than you better get serious about your actions leading up to your carreer.

Comment

Amen, DustinH... I too tried the wacky tobacky in college - and actually got in trouble for it. Luckily, it was only 3 times almost 7 years ago, so hopefully I have time on my side. But somebody with a desire to try it - whether legally or not - as an adult who wants to be a PO might have their priorities mixed up. Just my $0.02.

donman, my honest opinion is that if you are serious about being a PO, distance yourself from the people who you are friends with that use MJ, because that can bring you down too.
                      Last edited by JT in MD; 04-18-2007, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I never said I had the "urge" to try anything. Please read carefully.All I'm asking is if I'm around the smoke and it is found in my system, is there anyway I can be exempt if I prove I were in a location where I was exposed to it and were legal.

(Kashihara)And prostitution is legal in Nevada. But doesnt mean I would be with a prostitute in MD, because it is illegal here. But if I were to be with a prostitute in Nevada would that disqualify me from becoming an officer in MD?

I just wanted an answer based on the books not opinions or moral beliefs. Im pretty sure if it were legal here like it was in the 30's and some of the 60's alot more people would use it just like some our Presidents,Governers, Teachers,Doctors and so on.

But im not trying to get into a debate here just wanted to know what was the drug testing process.

My benefit for going would be to travel to a new place. Some people do like to see different places........
                        Last edited by donman; 04-18-2007, 03:52 PM.

Comment

And prostitution is legal in Nevada. But doesnt mean I would be with a prostitute in MD, because it is illegal here. But if I were to be with a prostitute in Nevada would that disqualify me from becoming an officer in MD?
                          I actually do recall a thread on here or RP that discussed something of this nature. The general consensus was that it is wrong to do something illegal even if it's legal where you are... So if you picked up a hooker in NV and your local PD found out, it could very well DQ you - or raise red flags.

Comment

Dustin H.....
                            being exposed to marijuana can show up in your system especially your hair. Thats why I asked If hair folicle drug testing is used.

It seems everyone is mistaken me smoking it to be around it. Just to clear things up I am speaking about being around it not smoking it directly

Comment

Well we all know what that is about(legal smoking).I dont smoke here for obvious reasons but I wanted to go for the experience.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't sound like an innocent "smoke residue in my hair" trip. I don't think anybody means to bust your b***s about this, and if your intent TRULY was to go and experience the city for what it's worth, then we all misunderstood. However, if you're lying to cover your a** now, then you may have some honesty/integrity issues going on.. Just my $0.02.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3486 users online. 249 members and 3237 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X