Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Upgrades????

State Police or Highway Patrol,
    Do you think that SP's & HP's should use some type of vehicle with four-wheel drive other than an SUV for safer travel especially in inclimate weather?
    If God is before me, who can stand against me!
    I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me Phil 4:12-13!

The majority of SUV's are not pursuit rated, more than likely this and not weather is the reason they are not used.
    some type of vehicle with four-wheel drive other than an SUV
    I am not tracking you?

Comment

Originally posted by Trhopeful
      State Police or Highway Patrol,
      Do you think that SP's & HP's should use some type of vehicle with four-wheel drive other than an SUV for safer travel especially in inclimate weather?
      Since it does not snow that often in Maryland, there is really no need for that. If it was more up north, such as NY, Vermont, etc, then thats is where you would find more SUV's, etc for Police work/Patrol.

In Maryland, usually when it gets too bad, which hasn't been a while, they usually just halt all patrol and only certain calls that are true emergencies. At times, people with 4 wheelers had assisted on going on calls, but I have not seen the "national guard" out in years.

Even with the Crown Vic's that MSP uses and most other agencies in Maryland, you can get to the calls, but at a very slow snails pace.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
        In Maryland, usually when it gets too bad, which hasn't been a while, they usually just halt all patrol and only certain calls that are true emergencies. At times, people with 4 wheelers had assisted on going on calls, but I have not seen the "national guard" out in years.

Even with the Crown Vic's that MSP uses and most other agencies in Maryland, you can get to the calls, but at a very slow snails pace.
        As our Irish Friend pointed out. When the weather gets bad, we go into fixed positions. Every post officer has a fixed position, a place to go and stay. Usually a business on the post. Dispatch only passes out priority 1 or 2 calls. Everything else gets coded or held. This prevent accidents with departmental vehicles when driving around is not needed.

You would be surprised how busy it can get when the snow starts falling. People in the city get shot regardless of the weather.

I don't not like the new impalas, since they don't handle as well as the Vic, IMO. But they are better in the snow with the front wheel drive. Throw some snow chains on the Vic and you are good to go, just can't drive very fast.
        Last edited by B-More Dawg; 04-14-2007, 02:32 PM.
        GO CAVS!!

Comment

Originally posted by tp2165
          The majority of SUV's are not pursuit rated, more than likely this and not weather is the reason they are not used.

I am not tracking you?

Yeah I know, but I meant something in the lines of a all-wheel-drive type car that would have better traction in rain or snow. But with the same type of engine power of the Crown Vics.
          If God is before me, who can stand against me!
          I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me Phil 4:12-13!

Comment

Great question. There are some days when the Crown Vics aren't worth a crap in this State, but as others have pointed out, those days are the vast minority. Budget is also the name of the game.

But with the same type of engine power of the Crown Vics.
            LOL What power?

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
              I kinda liked the CVPI I was in for my ride alongs. Brand new 2007 model V8, equiped with Liberty LED lightbar, pushbar, Panasonic toughbook MDT, front and rear radar. When running code you would feel the muscle the car had once we got to 120 on I95. I also think the Trooper had a device under the dash that would toggle the governor on the engine... giving an extra boot of power, because I kept seeing him mess around under the dash when running code. The only thing that CVPI needed was Whelen dual talons instead of the 3 mini phantoms it had. 2 on the rear, 1 on the front dash. Best dashlight ever made and also the most expensive and sought after. I found somewhere that sells them for $230.00 each. They carry the syncronized dual talons too, but you have to pay more for them.
              The majority of vehicles on the road can hit 130 mph, its not really anything special. That crown vic you rode in runs a 16 second quarter mile. Its a dog. Usually they are limited to somewhere around 132.

I think the Troopers leg itched

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
                I kinda liked the CVPI I was in for my ride alongs. Brand new 2007 model V8, equiped with Liberty LED lightbar, pushbar, Panasonic toughbook MDT, front and rear radar. When running code you would feel the muscle the car had once we got to 120 on I95. I also think the Trooper had a device under the dash that would toggle the governor on the engine... giving an extra boot of power, because I kept seeing him mess around under the dash when running code. The only thing that CVPI needed was Whelen dual talons instead of the 3 mini phantoms it had. 2 on the rear, 1 on the front dash. Best dashlight ever made and also the most expensive and sought after. I found somewhere that sells them for $230.00 each. They carry the syncronized dual talons too, but you have to pay more for them.
                there's just something about all of your posts that makes me laugh...

Speaking of all that "muscle"....I almost broke down into tears when my LTs Impala pulled away from my CV in a 10-80 the other night...

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
                  Once again you are a tool.

The CV's are rather slow and the only thing that makes them feel fast is you are going lights and sirens passing everything around you.

And what kind of squirel knows so much info about lights and radar equipment before they are even hired?

CV's suffer from not alot of HP, a ton of weight, and some pretty bad gearing. First thing to remember if you ever make it to drivers training is to disengage the OD and make sure the AC is off....try to drain every bit of HP out of the boat anchor ford calls a motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
                    The kind that has properly researched the job, equipment, for instance when I get on the road I will carry a Streamlight ultra stinger and a Surefire 6PD Defender. And I will convert the 6P to a rechargeable. I will also carry a Glock 27 off duty with 2 mags and a handcuff case and a light holder. These days I don't think it is needed for a police vehicle to go faster than 140 MPH, I had a traffic accident going 40 MPH and it was the most violent thing to go through. Now just imagine that at those speeds... Besides, they have helicopters track people fleeing to give them the idea that the cops gave up chasing them and they can drive slower now. Cops can create traffic jams on the highway to force the driver of the vehicle onto the shoulder, which doing so allows them to spike the tires of the fleeing vehicle. Anyways what are you going to do once you catch up to somebody driving 150 MPH? You need to thing logically, at those speeds a PIT is too dangerous for both the officer and the fleeing subject. You can't shoot his tires, you're in a city you might hit an innocent person from a stray round. Only thing left to do is plea for the person to stop using the PA. But I don't think somebody that is running that hard from the law will. But remember, you can follow the guy with the helo until he bails on foot... Then you can get the K9 on his ***.

You are right in Hollywood Air is always up and K-9 is always right behind you. In the real world you might have to to use speeds around 100 to maintain a visual on the guy until/if he decides to bail. Once again you prove how valuable your knowledge really is.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
                      The kind that has properly researched the job, equipment, for instance when I get on the road I will carry a Streamlight ultra stinger and a Surefire 6PD Defender. And I will convert the 6P to a rechargeable. I will also carry a Glock 27 off duty with 2 mags and a handcuff case and a light holder. These days I don't think it is needed for a police vehicle to go faster than 140 MPH, I had a traffic accident going 40 MPH and it was the most violent thing to go through. Now just imagine that at those speeds... Besides, they have helicopters track people fleeing to give them the idea that the cops gave up chasing them and they can drive slower now. Cops can create traffic jams on the highway to force the driver of the vehicle onto the shoulder, which doing so allows them to spike the tires of the fleeing vehicle. Anyways what are you going to do once you catch up to somebody driving 150 MPH? You need to thing logically, at those speeds a PIT is too dangerous for both the officer and the fleeing subject. You can't shoot his tires, you're in a city you might hit an innocent person from a stray round. Only thing left to do is plea for the person to stop using the PA. But I don't think somebody that is running that hard from the law will. But remember, you can follow the guy with the helo until he bails on foot... Then you can get the K9 on his ***.
                      However if you had one your researh correctly...you would find out that that MSP will not allow you to carry a Glock off-duty, you carry your Duty Firearm off-duty.

The way you are writing on here...wow, it's very hard to comprehend where you have obtained all of this info from being a non LEO and just the way you are thinking, I wish you luck if you do make it into LE.

You mentioned shooting out their tires, etc . Some agencies will allow you to do that, etc depending on that agencies SOP. Until then, I would focus on your applicant process.
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
                        Gosh, you know alot. And how long have you been in Law Enforcement?

What are you going to do when you have to re-learn everything you think you already know? I can't imagine many academy instructors enjoy hearing facts recruits already "know"...
                        "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils"

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
                          had the same sunglasses
                          I think you should make it through the academy...

I see you are a student, where do you go to school?
                          "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils"

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
                            Well, to capture the fleeing subject the person has to be out of his car. You an't arrest him while he is flying down the roadway. And if the car is stolen or the RO is not the driver of the vehicle... Then just showing up at the guy's doorstep will not work, you could call off the chase but then you let the guy get away. Oh and you can carry a Glock 27 off duty... As long as you qualify with it I suppose, can you imagine carrying that bulky beretta? No way to conceal that weapon except in the artic tundra. The trooper I was with said he had a Glock 27 for off duty carry. It was very interesting, because we both have the same taste... We listen to the same radio station, had the same sunglasses, and have the same choice of career lol.
                            Cute, way too cute. When's Prom?

Doing a ride a long and being an acutal LEO is completely different.

Make it through the Academy, then I may actually like your comments/opinions. Until then...do you work?

Comment

Originally posted by Baz
                              If you are so smart, why don't you tell me how you will stop someone who is going 140 MPH. Wait for the gas in his car to run out? Great, that will work fine too... Except you need to realize that that will take time, provided he doesn't 10-50 into someone.

Talk to many agencys and that is their policy. I do recall about 2 months ago your high and mighty MSP allowed a chase to go on from woodlawn well into PG county. I'm sure if you were involved you would of had this situation under control before they even got into wilkens area.

Most road going cars wont do 140 mph. And the ones that do wont hold up to that speed for long or traffic causes them to slow down. Unless you are behind someone who just killed the president have fun calling out with "Traffic his medium, weather is clear, speeds around 130mph" and not getting the order to cancel.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3473 users online. 212 members and 3261 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X