300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do??

Here is the thing. I'm 27 years old, and I have been in the hiring process for a few months now. Law Enforcement IS what I am going to do for the rest of my life. BUT... I can't get into the department I want until the beginning of 08. So.... I am currently bartending because I quit my last job to persue the LE process. The thing is, I have a degree, and I hate wasting my education as a bartender, not that there is anything wrong with it, I just didn't spend all that money to do something I could have done without it.
    Now, the main guy told me to apply for Police Communications position until I can become a police officer. I did that, took the exam a couple weeks ago and still haven't heard anything. HERE IS THE PROBLEM. I have been offered a really good job in the same field I was in before, and it starts out about $20k more than the police communications job. So, should I take it for the next 9-10 months and save up and pay some bills, or hold out for the police communications and if I get it use the experience to make me a better officer? I'm confused and would love some advice. I don't know if it's fair to the employer to have them spend time and money on me when I KNOW I will be leaving in less than a year to join the police department. What would you do??

i worked communications before i was on officer, and it was one of the best things i could have done. what department are you trying to get on with? PM me if you want to.

Comment

I would take the higher paying job if it was me.

You also DO NOT know you will be hired by AA County anyways unless they have already hired you? I realize you are HOPING they hire you but you never know for sure.
      Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

I have been through the testing etc. but because of personal issues I couldnt' make the May academy so I'm waiting til January.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustin H
          I have been through the testing etc. but because of personal issues I couldnt' make the May academy so I'm waiting til January.

OK I see now...congrats.

Either choice you make will be the right one. Start with the $$$ job and see if you get hired for the dispatch job then decide.

most important question is: Where do you bartend so I can come have some beers since your in AA County?
          Just shut your damn hole

Comment

I bartend at a bar called Pesce Grande on West St. in Annapolis. It's hard getting away from it, cash is awesome, and $$$$$ In three days last week I made over $1k. But I'm tired of the late nights and all the drunks/smokers.
            Second, the money job would be good to pay off the bills, but I feel as though it wouldn't be too fair since I will definitely be leaving to become an officer within a year. Plus, I think the experience with communications might really be helpful when I get out of the academy. I should know the test results this week, so we will see.

Comment

I bartend at a bar called Pesce Grande on West St. in Annapolis. It's hard getting away from it, cash is awesome, and $$$$$ In three days last week I made over $1k. But I'm tired of the late nights and all the drunks/smokers.
              Second, the money job would be good to pay off the bills, but I feel as though it wouldn't be too fair since I will definitely be leaving to become an officer within a year. Plus, I think the experience with communications might really be helpful when I get out of the academy. I should know the test results this week, so we will see.

Ahh...very familiar with that place As chiller said, both options would be OK. Communications is not a bad way to get started but I DO NOT recommend people using it as a 'back-door' to get on the street. Some people have used that as a way to 'sneak in' to getting hired in patrol. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with those that go from communications to patrol...but a lot of time, energy, and effort goes into training those in communications. To go through that and then transfer in less than a year is IMO a waste of their resources and you are taking up valuable space that could be used to hire somebody long term.

Comment

HA, you're tired of late nights and drunks and you want to be a cop???
                "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils"

Comment

HAHAHAH...I know that place

They change the atmosphere in there I guess because it used to be a not very nice place to go to.
                  Just shut your damn hole

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor1430
                    Ahh...very familiar with that place As chiller said, both options would be OK. Communications is not a bad way to get started but I DO NOT recommend people using it as a 'back-door' to get on the street. Some people have used that as a way to 'sneak in' to getting hired in patrol. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with those that go from communications to patrol...but a lot of time, energy, and effort goes into training those in communications. To go through that and then transfer in less than a year is IMO a waste of their resources and you are taking up valuable space that could be used to hire somebody long term.
                    I feel the same way, but this is actually the advice of the Special Investigator for personel since I can't do the academy until 08. He said to stay close to the department, and get a lot of things taken care of in the meantime ie. training and more background.

Comment

Originally posted by JT in MD
                      HA, you're tired of late nights and drunks and you want to be a cop???
                      LOL Wel at least I won't have to try to figure out what the hell the drunk *** wrote on the credit card slip so I can get paid Late nights are different bartending, I don't have to put up with them when I'm an officer just so I can get my tip

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5948 users online. 344 members and 5604 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X